Shooting a Webinar - Need help for audio and tripod.

Hello all guys. I know many of you in these forum are experts in audio so i'll need your help please.

A friend of mine wants to start to shooting Webinar videos and ask me for help about the audio but i don't know much about it.

The shooting will be done with a Canon EOS 7D and since is a Webinar, i guess a lav mic will be the best option? And since a Canon EOS 7D doesn't have headphones input to monitor audio (i guess?), the best option would be to record the audio separately? Or is there any way to plug it in DSLR?

One more thing please, you guys think this tripod can do the trick for a Webinar?

http://www.digitaltoyshop.com/PRO_PHOTO_TRIPOD_Canon_EOS_70D_t3146_3548_1

Thanks a lot guys. Best regards.

Questions:

Will the speaker be stationary or moving around?

Will there an audience and, if yes, will there be audience questions? Or will people be "calling" in via phone, Skype, etc.?

Will there be any presentational elements that will have additional audio such as music, videos, etc.?

What is your budget?

BTW, I would recommend that you rent some or all of what you need rather than buy.

ChimpPhobiaFilms thanks a lot. I'll tell him to buy one like that.

Alcove Audio, so i talk to him and it will be a simple thing. He'll be either just sitting or standing but always stationary. It will just be him talking to the camera and he'll be doing all the things alone (shooting and editing). So is a good idea to record the audio separately with a lav mic?

Thanks.

Last edited:
You can get a decent wireless Sennheiser transmitter, receiver & lav mic for about $600 (I own this one), or if you rent it'll be about $40 a day. Don't bother with the $100 similar kits they sell at Radio Shack - terrible signal that drops out & picks up static very frequently. I made that mistake... once. :)

is a good idea to record the audio separately with a lav mic?

In general, yes. The receiver on the above Sennheiser could be plugged into the 7D if you really wanted, but you'd be far better off using the included XLR jack to plug into an external recorder. You don't mention your budget, but the typical IT forum member seems to gravitate to the Zoom H4n price-point (I have that one, too). It's a decent device (not the best, by far) that is quite adequate for lo-budget shoots. Very affordable, and good value for what you get. (There's a new H6 out that probably has better stats - dunno, never used it yet).

:)

Zensteve, first of all thank you for your post.

Do you think it's safe and reliable to use the receiver connected to 7D? Seems that i'll help him with the shooting and it's a risk to not monitoring the sound that comes in. And the only way to use a lav mic connected to an external recorder, is with some device like that H4N, right?

Thanks.

Last edited:
A wireless may be overkill if he is always stationary. As the professional production sound types say - "Wired keeps you hired." There is always the potential for problems with wireless. Despite what you wrote, however, I get the feeling that he will be moving around, so wireless may be the way to go.

When doing instructional presentations a headset mic may be preferable to a lav. Something like this:

cou_h6omni.jpg

Application_Presentation03.png

If you have read any of my other posts about production sound you would know that I am not a fan of the H4n.

Anyway, I would suggest that you rent what you need - headset (or lav), wireless TX/RX (transmitter receiver) and an audio recorder.

Do you think it's safe and reliable to use the receiver connected to 7D? Seems that i'll help him with the shooting and it's a risk to not monitoring the sound that comes in.

Doesn't matter which way you end up doing it - there's gonna be a pair of headphones plugged into something to make sure there's sound coming through.

Both the 7D and a half-decent external recorder should have audio meters, as well, to eyeball the db levels.

Alcove Audio , the headset is interesting and can be an option. May i ask you which audio recorder you recommend then? Thanks.

Zensteve, yes but if connected to 7D, there is no way to plug headphone's, am i right? Just eyeballing the audio levels. Thanks.

No problem, i tought that too but they haven't. That's why i think is a little risky (maybe too risky) to connect a microphone to something that you can't ear the sound you're receiving, no matter how good the mic is.

Last edited:
May i ask you which audio recorder you recommend then?

Never ask me what I recommend without giving me a budget limit. :D When you do you get answers like this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...2_722_2_Channel_High_Resolution_Portable.html

A steal at US$2,600.

Now, the real answer you want... Marantz PMD-661, Fostex, FR-2LE, Tascam HD-P2, Tascam DR-100.

As I said; RENT!!!! Call a someone reputable in your area, tell them what you're doing and see what options they may have.

Never ask me what I recommend without giving me a budget limit. :D When you do you get answers like this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...2_722_2_Channel_High_Resolution_Portable.html

A steal at US$2,600.

Now, the real answer you want... Marantz PMD-661, Fostex, FR-2LE, Tascam HD-P2, Tascam DR-100.

As I said; RENT!!!! Call a someone reputable in your area, tell them what you're doing and see what options they may have.

haha thanks Alcove Audio!

Well it's not my budget and i'm not sure yet how much he wants to spend but i'll sure tell him that it's better to rent the material. Thanks.

Back