SFX Makeup vs. Animation

I'm planning on shooting a short horror at the beginning of this summer. Just trying to get my plan of action prepared right now.

I need a monster/demon/creature/scary-creature to pop out for a second or two. I know two people who are in-school; one for special effects makeup and one for graphic design/animation. I will be using Premiere Pro CS5.5 for sure, and may end up having AE to use as well.

I'm leaning towards the digital route, but I just wanted to get some other opinions on this.

Digital makes more sense because both of the people are not local, and I wouldn't want to make my friend drive 2+ hours just to come do something for a second or two of screen time. Which leads to the next point; I don't want her to put her time and materials(even if I give some compensation) for just a few moments.

SFX makeup makes more sense if my friend who is willing to do the animation cannot produce the quality of content I was looking for. I want it to look as professional as possible. Not like some cheesy, obviously fake creature.

Hello mate.
i'm setting out soon making our first film and i have haggled with the idea to use C.G.I. i am a big fan of monsters and creatures aswell. i realized that it would be overall cheaper to go the prosthetic way, so i decided to embark on a self teaching on sfx make up.

i use paltsil gel and latex to make the prosthetic scars. there are loads of how too vids around on you tube. it teaches you something new aswell. what started as a mission to find a make up artist for the film has turned in to a full time obsession.

good luck with the project bro.....;) peace...

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bad-thoughts-productions/368600983176035?fref=ts.

I wouldn't want to make my friend drive 2+ hours just to come do something for a second or two of screen time. Which leads to the next point; I don't want her to put her time and materials(even if I give some compensation) for just a few moments.

Why not? :huh:

It's quite common for the creature reveal to be the money-shot, to put it one way. It's also quite common for hours of work to go into creating just a few seconds of screen-time.

If you think the practical FX will come out looking better, then do it.

if my friend who is willing to do the animation cannot produce the quality of content I was looking for. I want it to look as professional as possible. Not like some cheesy, obviously fake creature.

Does your CGI buddy have a reel, or experience, or even mockups for your project?

Have him whip something up, so both you & he can decide on whether the skill is there to take a shot at it.

I'd say it depends a lot on the skill of the two people in their respective areas of expertise, and also on the type of monster you're looking to create. If both are essentially amateurs it's likely that either route will look somewhat cheesy, but personally I'd be more inclined to go the CGI route in that respect. To do practical creature effects usually takes much more than just makeup if you want it to look like more than a guy in a suit - you're looking at potentially elaborate robotic puppetry rigs that are expensive and difficult to make, and can take a team of people to operate well. Whereas on the CGI side a single talented artist can rig up a complex creature by themselves if they know what they're doing. On the other hand if your monster is primarily humanoid then it may be simpler to just go the makeup route... hard to say without knowing more of what you're shooting for.

I'm going to recommend you follow a common approach that is over-used in Hollywood, but applies perfectly to you:

Go for the makeup approach, and shoot a clean plate for safety. The great thing about rubber is the lighting integration is always better than CG, always ... always.

1) Plan on practical makeup approach.
2) On set, take your time with makeup, and do it the best you can.
3) On set, take your time with LIGHTING, and do it the best you can. Usually with rubber monsters, less light, water misted on the monster (for highlights), more blood and smoke = better.
4) Cut it in to your sequence and reassess.
5) Don't like it? EDITORIAL: Try to cut less of it in, and see if sound FX can improve the presence of the monster with out actually seeing it as much (eg ALIEN).
6) Still don't like it? Color correct the plate and see if a generalized color correction will give you something acceptable (add punch, or filters).
7) Still don't like it? Roto the monster and see if a specific color correction will give you something acceptable (add punch, or filters).
8) Still don't like it? Use 2D or 3D VFX to augment the existing mask (glowing eyes ... surface sizzle effect ...)
9) Still don't like it? Remember that clean plate? Grab it and talk to your CG guy to discuss staring from scratch with a CG monster.

A full CG creature is hard to pull off. In fact, only an experienced artist can get a CG creature up to the standard of a rubber monster, let alone surpass it. Netflix is full of cringe-worthy examples.

I guess my point is you have many options before you need to choose a full-CG monster. Although you should prep for CG by shooting a clean plate, and collecting VFX plate data, the mask is an excellent place to start.

Consult your CG guy about how he wants the plate shot, what data he needs, and whether he would like to come to the shoot - preface this with the fact that you want to try the mask first.

All the best,

Thomas

Last edited:
Back