Sets and Locations

I have been recently finding that my ideas are being limited to the sets and locations that I have available to me. Some of it comes down to me just not asking permission to use areas that I require to film, so that's obviously my own problem. In other cases, I have some ideas for episodes I'd like to film, but either the place I would need doesn't exist anywhere close to me, or I would be able to film there. One example is an episode I'd like to make in the style of "MasterChef." There is nothing in my city or surrounding area that I can find or think of that would have a suitable set. I don't have the funds to make the set, nor do I currently make a dime off my work, so that idea is off the table. Also, now that snow and sub zero temperatures have set in, outside filming is really limited, especially since I'm using free help, no reason to freeze them to death for maybe a free meal at best.

Other than green screen, how do you guys get around sets and locations? Do you have any ideas for how I can expand my filming locations? I know this is a pretty basic question, but I'm just wondering if anyone has any tricks up their sleeves? I hate being limited by shot locations...

1) Stop making lists of why you cannot do things
2) Get involved with your local filmmaker community
3) ????
4) Profit

Everything you do will involve other people, in some fashion. When you're not shooting something of your own, be working on someone else's project. What becomes available to you will expand exponentially, if you simply keep in the local loop.
(and are pleasant to be around)

There is nothing in my city or surrounding area that I can find or think of that would have a suitable set.

You are wrong... and I don't even know where you live.
smiley_colbert.gif

Focus on what locations you have, not what you don't have.

The secret is compromise. It's much easier to solve your location issues with the keyboard instead of chasing a specific type place. I lost the primary location for my short (a junkyard) just two weeks before the shoot. So, I spread a wide net and secured a fantastic cargo ship & pier instead. I solved the rest with a rewrite and I'm happy with the results.

Thomas

My first feature relied on people letting us film in a variety of places for free:

Two bars. One we filmed on a Saturday morning when it was closed and the owner trained one of my actors to bar tend. The other bar we got on a monday night when they were closed and one of the owners bar-tended and served drinks for my actors/extras.

I asked on Facebook (Our film page that we got local people to follow), for a residential house with a really nice dining room for a dinner-party scene. We got one.

I asked the auto-shop where I get my car repaired if I could film there and they said yes.

Another thing to do is be creative. I wanted a school in a scene and I just filmed outside it. Along the fence are signs that say "This is a drug free school" and with some sound f/x and not showing the schools name, it works.

The biggest help is the Facebook page. Push that, get local people to like it and then just ask. Someone will know someone who can help. I am fortunate that I live in a small city (30,000) and everyone knows someone who knows someone. But I can't see why this can't work for larger city's.

Back