Semi-Pro Camera 1.5k-2k budget

Looking to get my second camera had an old camcorder before. Not looking to get a camcorder at all really. Maybe a DSLR? Let me know what a good buy would be. I have 2k to spend on the camera and sound so if you can give me a good setup that would be great. Shooting mostly short films/skits and maybe a documentary or two

Last edited:
I've never used a HVR-HD1000U personally, but I have dealt with footage from one. The quality is decent for what it is, but it's 4 years old at this point. The footage I was given also had a lot of dropout, but it's possible it was a bad tape, and not the camera's fault. The camera might be decent for doing live events or documentary type things, but I wouldn't suggest anyone purchase one new. I can't recommend anyone purchasing an HDV camera in that price range now, especially not one from 2007. There's really no reason not to be going tapeless, IMO.

2K isn't a lot to work with. My personal camera with insurance was $3,000 for a Panasonic AG-HMC-80 and it's HD. At work we have three custom XH-1's, which with all the hardware run at about $55,000. Those are only standard definition. But their color depth is unmatched.

I am a GH2 user.
I love it, I have a cannon 2ti that I only use for stills photos anymore.
Before I jump in though, I would say that you might be happier with a camcorder style camera for docu work.

Back to the GH2, rather than offer another love fest to the GH2, I thought Id offer what I dont like about it.

The View Finder is nice, BUT.. it has a crappy eyecup, and Iv YET to find an aftermarket or DIY solution that is adequate. The LCD on it is lower res, so using an LCD View finder like I do with my 2ti is non-optimal for focus.

The automatic lenses are focus by wire. There is no "end" you just spin the focus ring around and around.. very bad for using Follow Focus equipment. (not really and issue for me as I don't think Iv used an auto lens on my GH2 other then the first day I had it!)

You cant use and external HDMI monitor shooting in anything but 1080 resolution. 720p and other modes are disabled if you have an external HDMI monitor connected.

The strap ears look like cheap crap and Im afraid they will break!

Menus are kinda hard to use.

Even with those deficiencies you will have to pry my dead cold fingers from around my GH2 if you want to take it from me!.

Back