Seeking Distribution Producer Mentor!!!!

Hello guys,

I finished my movie and began hosting it online on May 1st. I am intrinsically a storyteller and a writer, but I also have strong business acumen.

I need a movie mentor to "show me around". I don't quite know the population ecology of distributing a commercially marketable movie. I do not want to show it to the public for free. I made this movie for my livelihood and it is extremely entertaining. It should be in Redbox and in VOD for low prices as a fun, smart B movie.

It is about indie rock band friends that run guns on their tour. I want a sequel. My director was a chick and I played the lead (shot on a Nikon, full post production). Very fun movie and I am currently launching a cross-promotion YouTube playlist with indie musicians on the movie channel (bands are being extremely receptive to me during this online soft launch). It's going to help reinvigorate indie music scenes and be a cool "college poster movie".

My inspiration is 'Reservoir Dogs'. Like I said, I don't know what I'm doing.

Yes, investors are/were interested. But the movie was too much A list stuff for a B movie to fit a known cast for bigger budget investment.

I need one person to help guide me and figure out specifically how to utilize this fantastic product placement for what I need as a distribution integration/movie deal. I need someone to check in with on a weekly basis for me to ask what I should be doing.

Please check out the Youtube movie trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlIgyUAypUk
IMDb: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6001884/?ref_=nv_sr_1
Me Doing Producer Commentary YT Channel and Also One of me Eating a Granola Bar: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJxSKzAqMU-J7T3klpoXVBw

Royalties Though

Release it yourself on Amazon Prime. All you need is closed captioning and you're good to go.

I don't think it's a good deal to only make 6 cents per hour watched when Redbox is renting movies for $1 and Netflix memberships are around $7.99. Also, movie theater tickets and DVDs, etc. Nothing is as minute as 6 cents.

Also, do you have an estimate of the average monthly royalty payout for an Amazon Prime Direct listed movie? Also- I am correct in stating that for every hour of my movie being watched I get 6 cents, right?

I want a mentor to assist me in selling my movie to a distributor and I'm not disclosing what kind of figure that might entail. In the first week I was able to get a musician represented by music agents in Europe to cross-promote with me on my YouTube playlist for my movie. I'm aiming at major commercial distribution for a B movie. I'm not sure what I should be doing.

I know most movies go that route; I'll plead my case for how my movie will make a lot of money later.

And: :D:weird::P:lol:

You might consider entering your film in a few film festivals to see if there is any interest in it. Many distribution deals are the result of a film being shown in a major film festival...Toronto for example. Most of the films picked up by Fox Classics are picked up at film festivals. You might also consider shopping your film around to a sales rep, who will look into such markets as cable TV, VOD, and overseas distribution.

I mention Amazon Prime only because you are 100% guaranteed placement. They do not turn anyone down. But your film doesn't necessarily have to be on "Prime"...you can offer it as a standard VOD rental and set your own price...$1.99, $3.99, $5.99 or whatever. You keep 50% of the rental. If your film is marketable and good, you will get a lot of play. More people would be exposed to it on Amazon than they ever would in Redbox.

Last edited:
Interesting. I don't know how to do this VOD rental. Can you please provide a hyperlink? Also- my point here is to not be doing all this heavy lifting alone. While I'm shoulder shrugging 315 in sets of 5 I need my mentor over there leg pressing 675 like another skinny guy like me you know what I mean big fella? Anyone that wants to help me out with these diddies on a regular basis please direct message me with an email address to get back to you.

Well, you aren't getting paid to talk to me right now in this forum, are you? The exciting thing is I have a movie I really believe in and I love talking to other producers about what we do for a living. A mentor isn't a job description, it's a specific type of relationship. Mentors don't get paid, that's not what I'm asking for. And it's not a slog, because the time for driving a hard straight and narrow is under contract.

I'm asking around for producers to talk to on a personal level and I saw this website as a supportive moviemaking community where someone like that might traverse in their curiosities.

You actually should look into sales agents rather than an additional producer. Sales Agents work on a commission basis, and will take your film to markets around the world to meet with distributors from different territories around the globe.

Do some web searches for different sales agents and contact them. They'll want to watch your screener to see if it is something they feel they can market and sell. If you have an account on Cinando (https://cinando.com/) you can research and contact them through there.

I'm asking around for producers to talk to on a personal level and I saw this website as a supportive moviemaking community where someone like that might traverse in their curiosities.
You found that community right here.

You will find people willing to talk with you on a professional
level. You will find people who are supportive. And it's fine to
ask for more. Don't be surprised if you do not find someone
to do some of the heavy lifting for you.

I am glad to talk to you about distribution. I don't have the
time to be a mentor. Doesn't mean this place isn't supportive.
Doesn't mean I am not supportive. I know this place; someone
like Ray is very supportive and willing to offer direction and
advice based on his experience. As is mlesemann. As am I.

I hope someone here is available to be your mentor. Until
someone steps up, I'm happy to answer questions and point
you in the right direction.

Here is a question that betrays my inexperience in distribution: Do film festivals screen movies only inside the industry for distributors to survey the field with time efficiency, or would I also have to trade-off showing the film to the general public for free (not that a couple thousand views would matter to a distributed movie showing to millions of people worldwide)?

Here is a question that betrays my inexperience in distribution: Do film festivals screen movies only inside the industry for distributors to survey the field with time efficiency, or would I also have to trade-off showing the film to the general public for free (not that a couple thousand views would matter to a distributed movie showing to millions of people worldwide)?
The vast majority of film festivals never screen to the industry or
distributors. Only the major festivals attract distributors:
Toronto, Cannes, Berlin, Hong Kong, Sundance, South by Southwest, Telluride.

There are many others that can jump start a movie – getting accepted
in several can really help.

You just missed the Kansas City Film Festival. I always suggest that filmmaker
go to as many festivals as they can. You get to see what movies are accepted
and meet fellow filmmakers.

Last edited:
Here is a question that betrays my inexperience in distribution

Film business is much like normal business. There's lots of competitors. You need to find a way to sell your product and/or find distributors/agents who are willing to do the selling for you. The same as widgets. To get a distributor, you need to find someone who believes you have a product THEY believe they will make a profit from to be worth their investment.

For films, distributors usually work out if they can earn a profit from your film depending on "what named actors are in your film". If you have none, you'll need some other sort of marketing angle otherwise it's a tough sell.

Good luck.

First week 6% conversion rate hosting the movie online with $0000.00 marketing investment. Oh, I think my business degree is going to come in handy here. You want to see me make a sale? How-about convincing a gun store owner in Connecticut to let me a nobody rob his store on camera for my movie, and he became one of my biggest supporters, in 3 meetings, the first and last were phone calls. Watch my movie, bro. The link is under the trailer above. Also on YouTube we're launching a playlist of real indie musicians cross-promoting with us. I wouldn't spend 8 years producing this if I wasn't an expert on the human condition, "Sweetie".

Here ya go: ;):cool::thumbsup::grumpy:

Film business is much like normal business. There's lots of competitors. You need to find a way to sell your product and/or find distributors/agents who are willing to do the selling for you. The same as widgets. To get a distributor, you need to find someone who believes you have a product THEY believe they will make a profit from to be worth their investment.

For films, distributors usually work out if they can earn a profit from your film depending on "what named actors are in your film". If you have none, you'll need some other sort of marketing angle otherwise it's a tough sell.

Good luck.

Back