Seeking 3D Graphic Software Advice

Hi everyone, I am looking to learn a new skill and thought I would take on 3D computer graphics. I am already comfortable with 2D design programs like Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro. To start, I would like to create 3D animation that can be used for flying/floating logos in a web environment, but I eventually want to progress into making more advanced 3D scenery graphics. At the moment, I am not looking into creating 3D animated figures (beyond the text logo type animation I mentioned above).

So...does anyone have any software recommendations???

If you're just looking to do the 3d landscapes, you might want to give Bryce a try.

No idea how much it costs these days. The Student version was like $100 back in 2000, I seem to recall.

It allowed you to create pretty neat landscapes, and then programme a flight-path through it. You could render the journey through your "country" to a video file. Pretty neat for opening scenes.

I hATE MY LAPTOP it keeps posting before im done.

anyways SOFTIMAGE (xsi) is 700 bucks and not that easy to lear, MAYA has the largest learning curve of all 3D Standards, 3DS max is 4k from discreet but I can PM you an authorized dealer in SF (Only one in the US I believe) who can get you a XSI compatible deal for Max a 2k

His name is Rahul.

otherwise go with the freebee thing posted or buy Animation Masters. its a great starter software for 300 bucks that has bone and rigging built in and you can box mold with it as well.

hey john...i think u can also try for 3dstudio max...it an vry good and userfriendly software..
its vry easy to learn for a newcomer...because of its friendlyinterface...

keep goin...best of luck....

Although I haven't used it, I have seen great things come out of LightWave. A friend of mine, who uses Max as well, swears by LightWave.

Ever hear of Kaze Ghost Warrior?

http://kazeghostwarrior.com

For me, I've been using MAX before it was called MAX, before it was Discreet even... and one reason is because I'm using Combustion for my composition and VFX.. BUT After this project, I'll be looking into Digital Fusion for my compositer, and will dabble with LightWave as well. :D

Yea.. lightwave is the bomb... every CG scene that was done in Babylon 5 was done with lightwave. There's numerous other examples, but that's the one that comes to mind most.. there were many scenes that had billions of polygons on that show, the ships were all pretty intricate and whatnot.

I have 3D Blender on my machine...
Although I have NEVER figured out how to use it!
I'd be better off learning to write Chinese!
And this coming from a guy who hit the ground running with Adobe Premiere!

If anyone knows how to even begin to use this program, let me know!

-HAWKEYE

If you have a program like After Effects you can do all the logo stuff

I wish I know more about 3D myself. I'd love to be able to construct my own backgroud plates for greenscreening. Oh well, that's what effects artists are for I suppose!

Thanks guys for all of the advice. I have downloaded numerous trial programs to play with...

I just tried messing with Daz 3D. At first I was intrigued, but the novelty of posing a naked cybergirl wore off pretty quicky. I'll be moving on to Bryce next. It looks to be much more fun, but admittedly it has fewer practical applications.

Also found an old copy of Micrografx Simply 3D that I bought several years ago. I'll try that one again as well. Whew!

If you don't want to spend thousands then check this little gem out. You've all seen that video of the green alien singing "I Will Survive" then it gets smashed by a disco-ball. That was done in a program called Animation Master (google it or go to hash dot com and no it's not a joke drug site) $300 USD last time I checked. Anyway it's really easy to learn and they have on-line tutz available for download.

JMTCW

CootDog said:
send a PM (Private Message) to Indietalk or Poke or another moderator, that's not for this thread.

Ok...
BTW, this response piqued my interest with it's very cryptic avoidance!

I also wrote to "cinematography" (Tony) himself.

-HAWKEYE

Boz Uriel said:
If you don't want to spend thousands then check this little gem out. You've all seen that video of the green alien singing "I Will Survive" then it gets smashed by a disco-ball. That was done in a program called Animation Master (google it or go to hash dot com and no it's not a joke drug site) $300 USD last time I checked. Anyway it's really easy to learn and they have on-line tutz available for download.

JMTCW

Yeah, Martin Hash designed the Raytrace engine of shadows and reflections to make 3D more realistic in the late 80s.

He created this program for beginers. for 300 bucks its a good deal. About 6 years ago I viewed a really neat animation "Java Nior" done in lightwave by a young teenager. I emailed him and asked him what he used and he was the first to turn me onto Animation Masters.

http://www.anzovin.com/images/javanoir.jpg

I been toying with 3DS max for 6-7 years now but am just now learning animation and modeling. I always used it for other effects like fire or atmosphere or really cool 3D text for webpages. But it has so many wonderful applications that very few other 3D softwares have without having to buy expensive plugins. Max comes with many built in effects (pretty basic)

anyways click that site and view his toon. its pretty cool. I wonder what ever happen to him.

Back