Seeing If I'm Buying A Good Camera

Hey! I recently have been looking for some good deals on good cameras I could buy and i think i found one I like. I have got a couple crappy cameras(Not crappy but like handycams) that i don't really need just because they arent great quality for the most part. But I found a really good camera deal on Amazon that goes for 4k new but they have it up for 475$ Used. Now sense I don't really know much about cameras and what is like good for a camera, i was wondering if someone could tell me if this camera is good? Canon GL1 MiniDV Digital Camcorder with Lens & Optical Image Stabilization

-Frank

Canon GL1 MiniDV Digital Camcorder with Lens & Optical Image Stabilization

It's a good camera but fairly old, and only shoots standard definition to mini-dv tapes. I wouldn't generally recommend it at this point as you can get quite a few newer cameras that are HD and will give much better overall image quality in that price range, the Canon Vixia line for instance.

Thank god you pointed that out. I was seriously thinking about buying it and never thought to see that it records on mini DVDs. One of my handycams does it too. Thanks your a life saver

Idk prob cap around 500$ for a nice one. I would want something thats not a handycam that has manual focused. For around 500$ i figure that I would want to go along the used route. I would also like something that has a simple manual focus that you dont have to search through the settings to change

Last edited:
Thank god you pointed that out. I was seriously thinking about buying it and never thought to see that it records on mini DVDs. One of my handycams does it too. Thanks your a life saver

It records to mini-DV tapes, not mini DVDs. Huge difference there. Regardless, I wouldn't spend $475 on that when you can swing a t3i for a little more, but there are advantages to a GL1 (no worrying about interchangeable lenses, if you just want a ready to go, run-and-gun camera).

The GL1 is what I learned to shoot on, and it's a great camera. But as others have pointed out, it's more than a tad dated.

If you're shooting reality-type stuff, are constantly on the go, don't have time to change lenses, set up lighting, etc., then this camera would have some huge advantages. But if you're shooting narrative movies, then a DSLR or EVIL camera is, by far, the best option for those of us with tiny budgets.

Picking a DSLR though will cost you more time in production/post, sapping time away from creating actual content.

Good luck.

It will?? :huh: :hmm:

As in sound syncing? Well the sound isn't actually really any worse than camcorders in the price range so in that way there's no extra post work. (because if you wanted better audio you would buy a more expensive camera to start with or buy external audio which would be the time factor)

And the file sizes are a bit bigger than that of other files I've worked with in the past.

No other problems with SLR footage in post from what I've come across! :) And I've been using them for almost a year quite regularly.

Just my opinion/thoughts

As others have said, the Canon GL1 was a great camera back in the day, but it does not shoot HD so I would recommend not getting it.

I'm not sure I'd get a DSLR if I were you. Sounds like you're a beginner and need a simple, easy to use camera. I'd look at something like the Canon VIXIA HF R30. It records full HD and runs around $400 The three things you'd like to have in a camera are:
1. External Mic jack so you can plug in an external mic. The onboard mics aren't that great.
2. Manual exposure
3. Manual white balance

I picked $400 because you'll need a tripod and a shotgun mic. I recommend a Audio Technica ATR-55 shotgun mic that can be found on ebay for around $50. It's a good starter mic. Then you still have $50 for a tripod. Now that's not a lot of money. I usually recommend spending around $100. Here's one on ebay for under $50. PRO Zeikos 75" ZE-TR125B.

Don't forget a case. Also, you should buy a spare battery because nothing sucks more than to have your shoot get shut down when you camera runs out of power.

Scott

I'm not sure I'd get a DSLR if I were you. Sounds like you're a beginner and need a simple, easy to use camera.

Ding!

One needs to be able to discover if they can (or even want to) create and complete a film with compelling contents before being sucked up by the dark forces, . . . I mean gear heads.

If you're primarily into gear, by all means, go for it. But if you're primarily into making films, pause before you splurge. Once you've a bunch of completed films under your belt (and feedback from audiences) you'll know what direction you will want to go equipment-wise.

DSLRs have been used to make God-awful unwatchable films that were posted in this very forum because the filmmaker skipped basics of filmmaking day at school and went straight to the gear box!

Good luck.

As others have said, the Canon GL1 was a great camera back in the day, but it does not shoot HD so I would recommend not getting it.

I'm not sure I'd get a DSLR if I were you. Sounds like you're a beginner and need a simple, easy to use camera. I'd look at something like the Canon VIXIA HF R30. It records full HD and runs around $400 The three things you'd like to have in a camera are:
1. External Mic jack so you can plug in an external mic. The onboard mics aren't that great.
2. Manual exposure
3. Manual white balance

I picked $400 because you'll need a tripod and a shotgun mic. I recommend a Audio Technica ATR-55 shotgun mic that can be found on ebay for around $50. It's a good starter mic. Then you still have $50 for a tripod. Now that's not a lot of money. I usually recommend spending around $100. Here's one on ebay for under $50. PRO Zeikos 75" ZE-TR125B.

Don't forget a case. Also, you should buy a spare battery because nothing sucks more than to have your shoot get shut down when you camera runs out of power.

Scott

Okay, this is actually very good advice. I can't not agree with it! :)

The only thing I'd like to add is that a DSLR isn't actually all that complicated. It can be, if you want it to be. But if you want it to be simple, it can be simple. You do not have to be a gear-head to learn how to use one. You do need to be a gear-head to learn how to master one. But a non-gear-head on a DSLR can do just as fine, if not better, than a non-gear-head on a camcorder.

What's more, a DSLR allows MUCH more room for growth. On this forum, I've seen plenty of non-gear-heads develop into total gear-heads, and they did it with DSLR. I've also seen non-gear-heads remain non-gear-heads, while making videos better than what they could've done on a camcorder. :hi:

The package Scott recommends is less expensive, especially when you consider the fact that you can record audio straight to the camera, whereas you'll need to purchase an external audio recorder for a DSLR. So, if it's a simple budgetary consideration, I think you'd be making a wise move by going with what Scott recommends. But if you can afford a few hundred dollars more, I think the DSLR route will help get you better results in the beginning, and will last you much longer, before you finally decide to upgrade to something else.

id say use what you have now to its full extent. Learn WHY the image looks the way it does, why the DOF is the way it is, why white balance is important, why the sound sucks.

Im not saying make a movie with your handycams, just do a bunch of test footage to understand what the limitation are.

After that you will KNOW what you want in a camera, step back at that point and do some self education on f stops and focal lengths and good ole' photography 101 stuff... and you'll be the camera guru and just be looking for advice on specific choices available and in your budget.

Back