• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Script Idea

Posted this already but on the wrong forum. Just new to this site and not much of a internet user but back on topic.

I am looking to write and get help putting in to production a short film.

I got an idea for the script which I am currently writing down. For anyone who wants to know it is a zombie film and the main character is an alcoholic/drug user.

If anyone is interested please get back to me.

Wheatgrinder: I know I have along way to go i've just started writing and trying to get in to film making. So all this is new to me. But I am very creative and I am welcoming all the help I can get as well.

Alexwhitmer: Bit of both really. I would like a little help just in case I have made one or two mistakes but a filmmaker as well just so if they liked it they could help me know what to do next.

I would like a little help just in case I have made one or two mistakes but a filmmaker as well just so if they liked it they could help me know what to do next.
I wish I could only make one or two mistakes.
Everyone makes a hundred mistakes and most of those are subjective judgement calls where 10% of the audience complains about something that another 20% like and most folks don't even care about.
So...

It's just like driving from point A to B: make mistakes, do what you gotta do, move on.

So, can we see the script?
Really.

Reece, you gotta quit being so coy.
No one'e gonna steal your idea.
It's just not worth the legal hassle of being sued over for ripping off your stuff.
We've all got fifty-eight of our own things going on.

A) Story/screenplay
B) Genre
C) Length, pages or finished product time.
D) Resources
  • Locations
  • Props and costumes
  • Actors/friends
  • Crew/friends
  • Budget
E) Distribution

Whatchagot?
Just lump it out here.
Chop, chop.
Let's get a move on.
Let's get this pig rolling.

Good luck! :yes:

sorry, i didn't mean to offend. (Im not sure your offended, but maybe)

All I mean was that you don't really have a specific question..

my advice is go do the things that you think need to be done to make a movie... do a tiny little 30 second short. Pick up your phone, if thats what you got, and tell a visual story with it.

Or if you have specific script questions, this is the screenwriting forum after all, then let us see what you got so far.. whats the log line? Do you know what a log line is.. its ok if you dont.. we love to help, just narrow down a bit to give us SOMEPLACE to start.. :)

alexwhitmer: Yeah sure, i've not written a lot of it. I've only just really started writing it. I have a basic outline of the plot and characters if you wanna see that. Since my script so far is only about 3/4 pages.

rayw: I haven't been around this industry for that long. I have just started using this website and well I am still trying to get used to it.

wheatgrinder: I wasn't offended. But I got no idea what a log line is. I can message you my outline for the script. If you want to see that.

Search this forum for "log line" there are some great fun threads.

from wiki "Charlie Brown is finally invited to a Halloween party; Snoopy engages the Red Baron in a dogfight; and Linus waits patiently in the pumpkin patch for the Great Pumpkin."

thats a log line.

This is a cool article I just found..
http://www.writersstore.com/writing-loglines-that-sell/

exerpt:
Logline #1 - The extraordinary story of a thoroughbred racehorse - from his humble beginnings as an under-fed workhorse to his unlikely rise and triumphant victory over the Triple Crown winner, War Admiral.

Logline #2 - A 17th Century tale of adventure on the Caribbean Sea where the roguish yet charming Captain Jack Sparrow joins forces with a young blacksmith in a gallant attempt to rescue the Governor of England's daughter and reclaim his ship.

Are you getting the hang of it so far? Here's a few more:

Logline #3 - After segueing from a life of espionage to raising a family, Gregorio and Ingrid Cortez are called back into action. But when they are kidnapped by their evil nemesis, there are only two people in the world who can rescue them... their kids!

Logline #4 - Toula's family has exactly three traditional values - "Marry a Greek boy, have Greek babies, and feed everyone." When she falls in love with a sweet, but WASPy guy, Toula struggles to get her family to accept her fiancée, while she comes to terms with her own heritage.

Logline #5 - A young man and woman from different social classes fall in love aboard an ill-fated voyage at sea.

wheatgrinder: Now I get what you mean, I really enjoy that article I will need to look up Log Lines on here now to better pitch my idea. Cheers.

rayw: Thanks for the articles, they are really helpful.

log lines are HARD. Don't be fooled thinking they are easy and unimportant. :) Having one WELL before I start a script, helps me focus on what SHOULD be in the script. I ask myself, If the scene is NOT working for\supporting my LOG LINE, then why is it in my script?

I know what you mean thats why I never feel really confident in showing people my writing since I always think ''I think it is good but just because I like it doesn't mean anyone else will'' and it kind of plays on my mind a lot. I am trying to come up with a log line for my script the now and it is tricky I have to be honest so far I have.

A man attached to his addictions has to learn how to survive an nation wide apocalypse while going cold turkey from his addictions.

There is the idea that I picked up from Rober McKeey where in during script development you dont show people the script, rather you come up with a story you can tell in a maximum of 10 minutes. Everyone's got 10 minutes to spare for a friend to tell them a story! You can watch their reaction, they will ask questions and you quickly figure out the areas that don't make sense or dont have the reaction you'r after.. just a thought..

A man attached to his addictions has to learn how to survive an nation wide apocalypse while going cold turkey from his addictions.

OK, log line, but one question to ask is " Why do I care?"

So whats on the line? Whats at risk?

howbout

An man going "cold turkey" must overcome his addictions or become a snack during a nationwide zombie apocalypse."

EDIT: Nation wide is unnecessary, its an apocalypse, so generally its NOT LOCALIZED...

An man going "cold turkey" must overcome his addictions or become a snack during a zombie apocalypse."

I like the idea of telling the story within ten minutes. Something that I would never have thought of to be honest.

Thats a lot better than what I came up with. Since I want the addictions to play apart since I got ideas of him tormenting himself with it a little.

So my thinking is you already have a grand concept.. the capital T "Truth" in the story you want to tell.. chances are its not really about zombies, rather the zombies are a metaphor for...????

How about "a desperate junkie battles an orde of brain hungry zombies as he struggles to find another hit of black-boot heroin".

Bam! You be got a junkie who searches for more drugs that can relate to a zombie that searches more brains. Is that sexy or is that effing sexy?

wheatgrinder: That was my idea that he sees them but just because he can see them does it make them real? I knew how I wanted the script to end if I was to be honest and I knew how I wanted it to start I just need to fill the holes in the middle.

dlevanchuk: I like the log line it is effective. But the story isn't about him searching for his next fix it is about him trying to break his routine of life. Just that on that day zombies just so happen to show up. More about are the zombies real or not.

Back