• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Screenwriting rules

Do you describe the backround music in a script?

Does it matter if your description are too big like you want to pass an exact image to the reader's mind?

Does it matter if you write it in a past time?

Can you just reserve it and then send it somewhere instead of selling it so that your paiment will depend on how good the movie will be? You see, when you are making such descriptions you want them to be shown exactly as written so you also want your reward to depend on what people will see. Maybe silly of me though but I don't really do it for the money.

No, it's just that everybody was saying that I cannot even have rights in how the script will be filmed and he said I can do everything the way I want, so it looked like he was joking or something. But, anyway, thank you.

By the way, reffering to the post above: This wasn't background music, but radio music. It played part in the plot, so, it would be obvious that you should describe it while writting a script. I was talking about a sad, funeral, background music, for example, while the characters mourn someone. I believe I should describe this, since I want the scenes where a bad guy dies, for example and the other bad guys mourn him, to actually be sad, while the director may not understand this so much if I don't describe the music.

I believe what Rik was saying is that YOU are the script writer, so you can do anything you damn well please. If your story and characters are utterly brilliant and marketable, any technical considerations will be overlooked as agents and producers scramble to lay their hands on it.

What everyone else is saying is that there are certain conventions to which most unknown writers adhere, just to hedge their bets. There are hundreds of thousands of wannabe screenwriters out there, all vying to be included among the same handful of annual script sales. Anything they can do to forestall rejection, they'll do.

But there are no rules. If your work is truly genius, it will probably rise to the top, no matter what.

Last edited:
I'm getting a little anxious for that, now that I'm finishing. Not to make a name for myself or too much money. Just art.

So, which are the ways to contact an indie studio or producer?

No, it's just that everybody was saying that I cannot even have rights in how the script will be filmed and he said I can do everything the way I want, so it looked like he was joking or something. But, anyway, thank you.
I said from my very first post that you, the writer, can have total say in
everything. It's unusual so you need to find the correct producer. And
you need to have that in the contract. Everybody did not say you cannot
have have rights in how the script will be filmed - I didn't say that. I'm
sorry you thought I was joking. I don't know how I can be more clear.

I was talking about a sad, funeral, background music, for example, while the characters mourn someone. I believe I should describe this, since I want the scenes where a bad guy dies, for example and the other bad guys mourn him, to actually be sad, while the director may not understand this so much if I don't describe the music.
A director and composer who do not understand that a funeral scene where
people are morning needs appropriate music are fools. However, you do not
need to treat all the excellent directors as if they cannot know what music
to use without you telling them.

My advice (and I'm not joking here) is to treat directors with more respect.
Treat them as if they actually understand their job. As if they will do their
best to choose the music that is appropriate to a funeral scene. However,
(and I'm not joking here) if you feel that most directors who will read your
script may not use the music you feel is appropriate then you must write
in the correct type of music. Do so knowing that most directors will think
you are talking down to them.

Write your script YOUR way. I'm not joking - I am being serious. If you
want control then make sure you find the right producer who will give
you control. Or produce the film yourself. What you want is unrealistic and
very unusual so expect others to say you can't do it. But if that's they way
YOU want to get the film made then (and I'm not joking here) do it YOUR
way and don't pay attention to the people who say it can't be done.

No, it's just that everybody was saying that I cannot even have rights in how the script will be filmed.

Isn't that obvious? If you sell or license the rights to your screenplay well, then you've sold them. Whoever buys the rights to your screenplay will literally have the "right" to make the film anyway they choose. This is regardless of whether you sell your screenplay for cash up front or as you suggested, for a cut of the box office profits.

What I believe Directorik was saying is that currently you own the rights to your screenplay and you can demand whatever conditions you want when you try and sell or license those rights. For example, the film must be made exactly the way you stipulate. It's your "right" to demand this or anything else you can think of. Of course you also have to consider that any producer or production company to whom you attempt to sell your screenplay also had the right to refuse to buy it because of those demands and stipulations! What Directorik, others and I are saying is that in our experience there is no producer or production company on the planet (that we know of) who would buy your screenplay unless they had the "right" to make the film how they wanted. But we don't know every producer and production company on the planet, maybe your script is complete genius and maybe there is a producer we've never heard of who would accept your conditions.

It's possible we are all wrong but if not, you only have two choices. 1. Don't sell your screenplay and either fund and make the film yourself or 2. Do what pretty much every other professional screenwriter on the planet does and realise that once you've sold your screenplay you'll have little or no control over the film which is derived from it.

You have said several times that you are not interested in the money or the film business, just in making art. On the other hand you ultimately want your screenplay to be made into a film and distributed to cinemas so you can make money from box office receipts. You can't have it both ways! Producers, production companies, distributors and cinemas are all businesses and NOT charities. If they are going to put in the time and money to make, distribute, market and screen the film, they are going to want their money back plus some profit and so like it or not, your film will have to be first and foremost a marketable commodity. If you choose to fund, make, distribute and screen the film yourself, you can write your screenplay with as little or as much detail and specification as you desire but if you wish to sell your screenplay to a producer or production company, you would be wise to listen to some of the advice you are being given which will help your screenplay be more attractive to those you are hoping to sell it to.

G

Last edited:
It's possible we are all wrong but if not, you only have two choices. 1. Don't sell your screenplay and either fund and make the film yourself or 2. Do what pretty much every other professional screenwriter on the planet does and realise that once you've sold your screenplay you'll have little or no control over the film which is derived from it.

+1.

If you want to write/direct go ahead. If you want to raise the money yourself and essentially take an EP type role, and attach someone else as Director, go ahead.

Most screenwriters don't do either. Most sell to a studio who then get it made, and all sorts of changes are made, and it's rarely what the writer envisioned exactly. But he got paid half a million dollars, so what does he care. He goes on writing the next one and establishes himself more. He's also more likely to get the next one sold, with a film under his belt already.

Once you establish yourself, you can start to dictate terms. Otherwise you're stuck with the option of doing it yourself.

I think one of the main reasons writers, and especially new writers, aren't included on set is precisely because they'll want to make nitpicky changes, and in the case of a new writer, they're quite often coming from a place that isn't one of a seasoned, experienced, professional filmmaker, and rather of one that's invested months and years into a script.

So, producers and studios are just unreachable? I mean... Of course I care about money since I need them but they are not my main goal. I would do it even if I had millions of dollars already and then I wouldn't ask any more. I suppose dudes like me just get nothing but let's give it a try.

Anyway, just give me a way to contact a producer, or a studio, myself and I don't need an agent or to sell it. My idea is not commodity.

Alright. Insult me please.

OK. Agents have the contacts, have a way of getting through the door, a certain amount of insider information about those contacts and proven negotiating skills. All this adds to to the fact that agents are far more able to sell your screenplay, negotiate the conditions of the sale and make sure those conditions are met in the contract than you are, or indeed any of their clients are. If this were not the case, why would agents even exist? Why wouldn't the clients do it themselves and keep the 20% (or whatever) commission the agents charge?

If you think you can fulfil the role agent better than someone who actually makes a living from being an agent then go ahead. But I for one cannot see how you can possibly be better than a professional agent when you don't even seem to know what an agent is or why they exist. The very fact that you are asking how to contact producers and studios demonstrates that you are not as capable as even the most lowly of agents!

G

OK. Agents have the contacts, have a way of getting through the door, a certain amount of insider information about those contacts and proven negotiating skills. All this adds to to the fact that agents are far more able to sell your screenplay, negotiate the conditions of the sale and make sure those conditions are met in the contract than you are, or indeed any of their clients are. If this were not the case, why would agents even exist? Why wouldn't the clients do it themselves and keep the 20% (or whatever) commission the agents charge?

If you think you can fulfil the role agent better than someone who actually makes a living from being an agent then go ahead. But I for one cannot see how you can possibly be better than a professional agent when you don't even seem to know what an agent is or why they exist. The very fact that you are asking how to contact producers and studios demonstrates that you are not as capable as even the most lowly of agents!

G

That's how you insult me? I think this actually insults art. You're just telling me "you have to have the connections, you have to play the trading game". And... making it more clear, you cannot make your script a film, no matter how good it is, if you don't have money to pay a manager and you don't want your work to be abused and be a piece of commodity. No offense by the way. I like your honesty.

So, producers and studios are just unreachable?
No. Producers and studios need writers. They are always on the look for
new scripts.

Anyway, just give me a way to contact a producer, or a studio, myself and I don't need an agent or to sell it.
You can call. You can write. You can email.

No studio will take a meeting with an unrepresented writer. Of course you
don't need to take my word for it, you should contact each studio and see
for yourself. Producer may set up a meeting with you. You lose nothing if
you try. The more producer you contact the better your chances. You have
a lot of research and work ahead of you. But I know you're up to it.

I know you think I'm just joking and I know there is nothing I can say that
will change you mind so this will be my last comment; you have your own,
unique method of the way you want things to be. That can be a good thing.
You are going to run into a lot of resistance as you can see from the people
here. Most people will only follow the status quo and strongly advise others
to do the same. And even when you find find someone like me who is
supportive of you and your unique way you dismiss them. But you still can,
and should, follow YOUR way. You may fail and have to back up a little and
follow a more traditional path. But you may succeed. You will never know
if you don't try.

No. Producers and studios need writers. They are always on the look for
new scripts.

You can call. You can write. You can email.

No studio will take a meeting with an unrepresented writer. Of course you
don't need to take my word for it, you should contact each studio and see
for yourself. Producer may set up a meeting with you. You lose nothing if
you try. The more producer you contact the better your chances. You have
a lot of research and work ahead of you. But I know you're up to it.

I know you think I'm just joking and I know there is nothing I can say that
will change you mind so this will be my last comment; you have your own,
unique method of the way you want things to be. That can be a good thing.
You are going to run into a lot of resistance as you can see from the people
here. Most people will only follow the status quo and strongly advise others
to do the same. And even when you find find someone like me who is
supportive of you and your unique way you dismiss them. But you still can,
and should, follow YOUR way. You may fail and have to back up a little and
follow a more traditional path. But you may succeed. You will never know
if you don't try.

E-mail to what address? Who will accept my message? I've seen contact forms in production pages but they are only for clients. Not for a real dialogue with a person, but a dialogue with a fun or something.

I don't want a meeting. Just a personal contact. No problem for pleasant work...

No you missunderstood me. I saw your honesty but I just couldn't believe it can be true. It's rare to have honesty in business, isn't it?

Anyway, could you give me a tip of how to contact some "indie" studios to talk to them? Who would like to make a prototypical and unpredicted thriller - drama movie?

Back