• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Screenwriting rules

Do you describe the backround music in a script?

Does it matter if your description are too big like you want to pass an exact image to the reader's mind?

Does it matter if you write it in a past time?

Can you just reserve it and then send it somewhere instead of selling it so that your paiment will depend on how good the movie will be? You see, when you are making such descriptions you want them to be shown exactly as written so you also want your reward to depend on what people will see. Maybe silly of me though but I don't really do it for the money.

"you have to have the connections, you have to play the trading game".

No, that's not what I'm telling you at all. I'm telling you that you can write your screenplay however you want and make the film anyway you want, if you fund it yourself. If you want to sell your screenplay to someone else to fund, then your screenplay by definition has to be a commodity and you are playing the "trading game" whether you like it or not, and to play the trading game you need contacts.

I think we are now going round in circles. The best advice I can give is similar to directorik's, you have a strong belief in what you want to achieve and strong belief can be a powerful force. So go out, start knocking on doors and find out for yourself what's possible.

G

One thing to understand, Quarry, is that the whole agent/producer arrangement isn't some kind of exclusive insider club. Rather, it's designed to streamline the process of getting the right material seen by the right people.

Say 100,000 screenplays are written in a year (that figure is probably WAY low, but just for the sake of example...). Each writer wants the same thing: a producer to buy his script and make it. Suppose that those 100,000 writers each sent an unsolicited copy of their script to a producer. Who in the hell is going to read all of those? It's impossible.

Maybe 1,000 of those scripts are actually worthwhile material, but the production company hasn't got time to weed through them. That's one big reason why agents are important -- they're trusted by the producers to weed out the junk.

When an agent brings a script to a producer, she is putting her reputation on the line, saying "this material is worth your time." If an agent repeatedly sends junk to a producer, the producer will very quickly stop accepting material from that agent.

Nothing is stopping you from bypassing the agent and getting your script directly to a producer -- occasionally somebody pulls it off. But it's rare, and getting rarer all the time.

Last edited:
Well... In their place I would just put other guys to read them or just look at them at my free time. What better to read art in your free time if you are an artist? Although producers are actually bussinessmen and not artists maybe some of them care about their job (well, money are not supposed to be their job, but the reward for their job). Anyway, I can send it to a thousand producers before someone answers. No problem. If I send it to many producers I suppose someone may read it by mistake or luck.

Hi Quarry! I was going to stay out of this, but your passion is compelling and I just thought I'd add my half cent.

Regarding the rules, I think other people have mentioned it, write your story any way you want. If you're happy with it, and then find that it might be an easier sell if it followed the rules, then re-write it according to the rules. Whatever works. Do just that. Don't be married to any rule, whether it's yours or of somebody else.

I just wanted to mention also, that you seem to be hung up on the idea that since you're making 'art,' it should be treated as such and not as a 'commodity,' as you put it. I don't know how old you are, but your passion, while I like it, seems to be more a product of your youth, and the blind faith that youth has the ability to provide, than anything else. Your art may be art to you, but it better be a 'commodity' to the people who know how to sell that art. You may not like what I'm saying. You may think little of me for saying such a thing and think of me as a sell out. And you would be half right. I'm a bit of an artist, and I'm definitely a bit of a sell out. I say this about myself to illustrate to you that most of us are not lucky enough to stay true to our art. You may find that you have to 'play the game,' whatever that is, and you have to be okay with it, or you have to have a rich dad or uncle.

I'm not giving you any advice on what to do with your script, how to write it, or format it or how to sell it. I'm just saying that I've read all the advice given to you in this thread, and it appears to me that everyone here tried to give you their best advice based on their experience in the 'industry.' You should calm down :) and re-read everything, without taking anything personally. You should believe that these people all started with the same passion that you feel right now. They experienced things that they adapted to. They're telling you all about it right now. You can think that you can do it your way and that's fine. But if you listen to their advice a little bit, you'll find that it may be easier to adjust and pick up the fight, if you face disappointment.

Wish you the best,
Aveek

Spec screenplays are commodities.

Script agents are filters.

Producers, studio or indie, don't have time/staff (=$$$) to read every Tom, Dick, and Mary's ill formatted "I can wright a skrenepla, to! This iz wurf $250,000,000 @ the box offiss. Paye me 2 perscent of that! I included camra angles, to, and i know what music goes with the mood four eech seen."

No one's got time for that except agents looking for some race horses to bet on.

Think of the agent as a bank's loan officer: they're a filter.

Last edited:
You can always read the first and the last page though.

By the way I laughed a lot in the "creep 1, creep 2" part in robo's script or the "hard driving, inner-city cop music" part. I wonder why this guy loved cops so much.

Anyway. About my script. No agent. I will just contact as many indie producers as I can and tell them some things about the script. If someone is interrested he can read the first and the last page. Then, I assure you he'll read the rest too.

So once you write your script and let's say someone is interested in it and etc, you have no further control over it? I saw someone quote the original poster saying that he should also produce the film.

Could someone elaborate on this? Thank you :)

So once you write your script and let's say someone is interested in it and etc, you have no further control over it? I saw someone quote the original poster saying that he should also produce the film.

Could someone elaborate on this? Thank you :)
In general the writer sells the screenplay. They do not become employees. So
once the script is sold the producer owns it and can do whatever they want
with the script. The writer has no say because the writer no longer owns the
script. Think of it as selling your car. Once you sell it you have no more control
over what the new owner does to the car.

There are many variations on this - my statement is a generality not an absolute.
If a writer wants complete control they usually must produce and even direct
the film. Of course the writer can make sure they only sign a contract that gives
them full control over any changes. Unlikely, but if that's what you want, that's
what you can ask for.

But in most cases the writer gives up all control over the script when they sell it.

General Guidelines

Correct formatting is key if you want to get your script read by professionals in the business. The best mantra to follow is: IF YOU CAN'T SEE OR HEAR IT ON SCREEN, DON'T WRITE IT!

With thousands of screenplays flooding Hollywood everyday, your best shot at getting yours read is adhering to these simple rules. While it may be frustrating as a creative writer, it allows you the best chance of getting your foot in the door. I have worked for lit agencies in town--if a script from a new writer is not concise and exactly formatted it simply DOES NOT GET SEEN.

If you're looking for a couple quick posts that highlight the basics, check out this great screenwriting site:

http://www.screencraft.org/so-write-pictures-basics-screenwriting/

http://www.screencraft.org/story-king-proper-screenwriting-story-structure/

Back