Screenwriting Poll

My best ideas come to me...

• anywhere, and i jot them down in a small pad or device I carry.

Votes: 29 34.9%
  • when at my computer or typewriter.

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • in a quiet place away from the city.

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • while brainstorming with others.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • at Starbucks or other coffee house.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • on the throne.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • at night, or while in bed.

Votes: 19 22.9%
  • while on IndieTalk.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • combo of above

Votes: 14 16.9%
  • other

Votes: 9 10.8%

• Total voters
My next screenplay?

"A cautious captain of a cruise ship, a parapalegic journalist, and a peanut teller lose themselves to a passionate affair that dominates their very existences in a public school."

What's a peanut teller?

filmy

Mikey D said:
Driving in the car. At night. Radio off.

Almost like meditation.

I get my best ideas in the car, too, though it doesn't make any difference with me whether it's day or night.

I can have the radio going, too, without any real effect.

It's one reason why I can never live too close to the places I regularly go. If I don't get enough time in the car, I'd never come up with anything.

Poke, funny, funny site

Apparently my next film is

"A philosopher and a horde of gynecologists undergo cosmetic surgery on a prairie."

It's similar to an idea I have, on the website I use to promote myself as standup comedian, which randomly generates psychic advice

http://www.zenclown.co.uk/ You need to hit the "Ask" button to get to it.

Clive you are one strange cat!!!

And I apparently need to pay the monkey to ride the tiger. Funny I always thought it was the other way around.

Hmmmm.

I'm an anytime anyplace type of guy...as far as ideas go that is!
Got my little black book to jot them down. I sometimes find I have too many. It can get in the way if your trying to write.
I like to mull ideas over in my head for a while, let them gestated, mature in my subconscious.
And like FilmJumper mentioned, combining ideas that don't work on there own, often produces some intresting results.

I get ideas at random times. I learned the hard way to write every one down. There are still times I can't or don't (in bed, too tired to get up). It's a terrible feeling forgetting a good idea you had. It's an even worse feeling remembering the idea and realizing is wasn't that good.

As Poke, clive, Coot and other have said... ideas come anywhere, any time.

As they also said, ideas for movies are not the problem, its deciding the ones that really will work. I've probably got 10-15 ideas for shorts, and 5 feature ideas. Of those, probably only 4 or 5 I could conceive of making into shorts and only 3 I want to make into features. The worst part is when you have an idea that you think is terrific so you go with it, then you get another idea that is so much better that it makes you stop writing your first one (or pause I guess). I just had that happen about two months ago to me, so now I'm starting once again from scratch on a feature. I'm positive this one is "it" though, although it will require a substantial budget...

Getting back on track though, I don't have room to carry any notebooks on me so I write them when I get home.

WideShot said:
The worst part is when you have an idea that you think is terrific so you go with it, then you get another idea that is so much better that it makes you stop writing your first one (or pause I guess). QUOTE]

I find this is related to the notion that coming up with ideas is easier than executing them.

It's kind of like meeting a great girl, dating her for a while, getting to know all her faults, etc... then meeting a new, great looking girl with whom you have great chemistry. It's tempting to go after the new girl. You have to remember that the new girl may have even more problems that the one you're currently with once you get to know her... if that makes any sense at all. It's the purity of the unrealized dream, like the lovers whom are purpetually inches from touching on the grecian urn.

Anywhere, Anytime. I might see something (anything), and my mind goes off with it, then i snap out of my trance like state, and write them down. I wonder what i look like when i am like this???

bird16 said:
Well said T Shipley!

Thanks. I haven't forgotten about getting my script to you. Still haven't tranfered the beginning onto my new comp. Almost done with it too, so may just wait til I have the entire thing ready. I'll let you know though.

Thanks. I haven't forgotten about getting my script to you. Still haven't tranfered the beginning onto my new comp. Almost done with it too, so may just wait til I have the entire thing ready. I'll let you know though.

Excellent! It will be worth the wait if your script conveys the same thoughtful nuance as your posts. :)

I get most of my ideas anytime , it might be a time that happened in the past with friends and friends friends. or it could be a present time hanging out on the weekend sitting at a bar , or resturant, or on the hour drive to my friends house. Pretty much anywhere, I have not traveled outside the US , but Even at my young age of 28 I still have traveled a whole lot and done alot of things and I have a deverse group of friends and family.
I too have to quickly write things down and i have them scattered all over the place untill I got my Pocket PC , which i don't know what i would do with out it.
IF you don't have one I suggest getting one cause this item is like 100 thing in one. It's a digtal voice recorder, contact book, Master remote control, mp3 player, GPS, oh yeah it plays movies too, a dictionary, oh yeah becasue it's windows based it does everything your PC at home does, like Mircosoft word, excel,etc.. adobe , plus games , etc,etc.....the list goes on , , so I keep al my ideas on there and i can transfer to my desktop later .

Back