• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Screenwriting Help!

I am writing a screenplay and using the software Celtx to help me out. I just have one question to ask. If i don't know the exact place of where the scene should be happening in, what should i do? Should i just write something like ... INT. House
It's not going to be very short like the example but you should understand what I am trying to say.
Please reply back! Thanks :)

Sure. A placeholder is more than okay. Chances are, with a low budget Indie film the locations would change anyway based on availability and opportunity, which often requires rewrites.

I am writing a screenplay .... If i don't know the exact place of where the scene should be happening in, what should i do? Should i just write something like ... INT. House
Please reply back! Thanks :)

The purpose of the 'slugline' is three-fold. It identifies the location of a scene, whether shot inside (INT.) or outside (EXT.), and the time of day. For the showrunner and others in the production of the film, they rely on consistency. Shooting can occur asynchronously to take advantage a given location and time. So the actors who will be using the same locale can all be shot on the same day. This is more cost effective than shooting the film sequentially. If you have a studio lot, you have more flexibility.

So to answer your question. The writer's obligation is to create a unique, consistent identifier. After the slugline, provide relevant description of the location. However, don't go overboard an specify every detail. Just those that are necessary for the set designer to get a sense of layout. As the writer, you should have a good idea where the action is happening. I've seen this described in many ways that were particular to the script.

INT. JACK'S HOUSE, KITCHEN - NIGHT
INT. KITCHEN - DAY
INT. NURSING HOME KITCHEN - DAY (STORMY)

However, as the writer you need to know where the scene is taking place so you can convey that to the reader. If you don't know, then how can your reader (and viewer) makes sense of it?

EXT. SOMEWHERE IN THE US - DAY

That doesn't help much for the production staff.

EXT. RURAL FARM, MIDDLE OF CORNFIELD - DAY

This allows the reader and production crew to get a sense of where you imagine this happening.

INT. CONTEMPORARY HOME, FAMILY ROOM - DAY (UNDERGROUND)

This gives me a sense of the type of house, where in the house, and in this case I included 'underground' as a descriptor but it would be better to use it in a description to make it clear this is during the day but there are no windows to indicate that.

When the spec script is changed to a production script, some dedicated soul will assign numbers to each of the scenes. Celtx is nice in that it will keep a running list of your locations. It is very important that scenes in the same location have the same slugline. The time may change which translates to another scene.

14 INT. CONTEMPORARY HOME, FAMILY ROOM - NIGHT 14
rather than
14 INT. HOUSE - NIGHT 14

So, yes you need to know in your own mind the descriptive location, enough to orient the reader/viewer/production staff and convey that in your slugline.

"INT. SLEAZY MOTEL, ROOM #237 - NIGHT
The air shimmers and he appears in a sleazy motel room. He looks about, runs to the door and opens it."

You don't have to describe it in detail as most of us have stayed in a motel and have a sense of the layout. If I just wrote: "INT. ROOM #237 - NIGHT", I'd be uncertain if this was a dorm, apartment, etc.
The dialogue and actions will convey that your character has no clue where he is but the reader needs to have a visual reference. You can see it in your mind as the writer, so you need to convey that.

Hope that helps.

How many pages?

how many pages will I have to do to make a full film?

You're thinking about this backwards. Tell your story well. It may only take one or two pages. Then you create the film from those one or two pages. Your story will dictate the length.

If you're producing it yourself, the sky is the limit. A four night mini-series with episodes lasting two hours has roughly eight hours of script. If you follow standard formatting, that's roughly 480 pages. Most feature length films stay within 2 hours or roughly 120 pages, unless you have an exceptional production (lots of action and special effects with large backing and big names). You're probably looking at a 30-60 minute movie to be independently produced. So for many independent film makers, most scripts would probably fall in the 25-70 page range. That is a generalization. It depends on your drive and resources (money, time, actors, cameras, sound, lighting, sets, permits, insurance, etc.). In the end, as an independent filmmaker, you may need to cut scenes or re-write them on the fly to address financial and/or logistical issues.

The script should be as long as necessary to tell a good story--no more, no less. The actually production script will be as long as necessary to meet production constraints. Neither length can be predicted in advance with any certainty.

As a writer how can you not know where something takes place?

Maybe you should look for a writer to collaborate with and concentrate on shooting - no?

All the best, whichever way you choose to proceed, Jim.

Everything that people are telling you about telling the story first and worrying about length later is absolutely true...

That said: in Western formatting terms most scripts translate at 1 page per minute.

If i don't know the exact place of where the scene should be happening in, what should i do? Should i just write something like ... INT. House

Now that others have answered I have a question:

How can you not know the exact place where the scene should happen? I
suppose I'm misunderstanding your question. I just can't think of a scenario
where I (the writer) doesn't know where the scene is taking place.

Back