• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Screenwriting for Literature Only

Does anyone know if it's possible to write a screenplay for the screenplay's sake only, and get it published like you would a book? This is in the same context as George Bernard Shaw or Tennessee Williams, who often wrote plays without any interest in getting the play itself done.

Does anyone know if it's possible to write a screenplay for the screenplay's sake only, and get it published like you would a book?
Yes. It is possible to write a screenplay for the screenplay's
sake only.

Are you asking about a publisher paying the writer, binding
the screenplay, advertising and distributing it into stores?
Or are you wondering about self publishing?

This is in the same context as George Bernard Shaw or Tennessee Williams, who often wrote plays without any interest in getting the play itself done.
I did not know this. What plays did they write without any
interest in getting the play itself done. Where those plays
ever published?

@ directorik
Sorry for not clarifying -- I meant a publisher paying the writer and putting it into stores.

As for Shaw and Williams, I couldn't give you any specific titles -- I just remember reading that they often published plays without a preference for actually getting them into the theater. I was just thinking that perhaps the same could go for a screenplay -- where you could have it distributed for it's own sake and have a literary experience reading it, which you could of course do with any Shaw or Williams play (something along the lines of screenwriting not being a dependent component of moviemaking, but rather a medium which can stand on it's own).

Sorry for not clarifying -- I meant a publisher paying the writer and putting it into stores.
I bought the script for The Usual Suspects in a bookstore. It was published as a book (size was 30% bigger than a paperback - not letter size) but was obviously in screenplay format.

But such publications are very rare. Your screenplay would need to be huge at the box office prior.

Many screenplay are published - after they are big hits in theaters.
Many plays are available. If you do a little research I think you will
find that no screenplay has ever been published by any publisher.
I don't mean after the finished film has been released. - I mean
the screenplay as a medium standing on its own.

I'd love to know more about these plays you read about. I've read
a lot about both playwrights and have never read about them publishing
plays before a production or writing plays for publication rather than
performance. Yet you read that they often did this. I'm really curious.

As far as I've read, screenplays are nothing like books or any form of literature. They are just documents which can be used by filmmakers to create their movies. I may be wrong, though..:)

I have never seen a published screenplay that hasn't already been made into a film. Self-publishing could definitely be an idea though.

Not sure about Tennessee Williams, but I'm pretty sure Woody Allen has published books of one-act plays that he never had any intention of taking to the theatre.

Back