Screenwriting Agent question

Is it a good idea to get an agent before submitting your feature screenplay on industry related sites? Should one get an agent anyway who can shop your screenplay around for you?

Anyone have any experience with this? If so, I know the search option is endless, anyone with a good experience have a good specific place to point on where to find a good agent for someone?

You do understand that it's actually very difficult to get a screenwriting agent?

There are tens of thousands of amateur screenwriters trying to break into the industry, meanwhile work for the existing working pool of pro screenwriters keeps getting smaller and smaller... New material is becoming increasingly difficult to sell because the studios are favoring work with an already captured fanbase in the millions (Hunger Games, The Host, sequels, comics, non-fiction work etc). Many have left feature film work and gone to writing teleplays.

So agents are very very selective.

Have you won some well respected screenwriting contest/s?

Have some of your scripts sold?

Is your script really a killer script with a fantastic hook and concept, great characters and great dialogue? And that's based on the opinion of an industry pro, not just yourself or people (not in the industry) close to you? We can't be objective on our own work and if you're an amateur, you need the opinion of a seasoned pro - not friends and fellow amateurs.

Many agents are not interested in representing writers with just a single script (unless it is exceptional). Many want the writer to have penned at least three good scripts that they can offer to the market.

Most amateur screenwriters think their first script is outstanding (I know I did). I have written five now and been a semi-finalist in the Nicholl (Academy Nicholl Fellowships in Screenwriting), and a Finalist with 3x scripts at CWA... When I read my first script now, I cringe - it really was not very good at all.

Sorry I can't offer lots of positive guidance but the reality in today's Hollywood is that earning a career screenwriting is getting tougher and tougher.

Anyway, there is a forum dedicated to screenwriting... They have lots of agent-related questions and info.

http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/

If you want impartial feedback on your script do a google on 'script coverage'. Dozens of companies offer it - some good, many terrible. Just don't pay some script 'guru' >$200 (some jokers charge $500+). I can recommend these folks [disclaimer: I have done some freelance work for them in the past] but you have many options out there.

http://reelauthors.com/

Last edited:
Is it a good idea to get an agent before submitting your feature screenplay on industry related sites? Should one get an agent anyway who can shop your screenplay around for you?

Anyone have any experience with this? If so, I know the search option is endless, anyone with a good experience have a good specific place to point on where to find a good agent for someone?
Yes, it's a good idea to get an agent before submitting your feature
screenplay to industry related sites.

Yes, one should get an agent who can shop your screenplay around
for you - with a caveat; that one has several excellent, marketable
screenplays and TV episodes finished. and the understand that an
agent will not shop one screenplay around - they will broker deals,
they will advise on contracts and some may find writing work for
some writers. Agents are not sales people.

I have experience in this. I have had an agent for many years. There
is no specific place on line to find a good agent. Finding a good agent
is a long term quest - you need to do a LOT of research. IndiePaul
explains very well what agents are looking for. Are you at that place?

You should first think about getting a manager. I say this for several reasons. Managers are far more likely to take on newbies and writers without credits or experience because they're looking to be involved with the whole writer. Managers will work with a writer to develop a wide variety of projects; they'll help them build a reputation, give feedback on ideas, and make suggestions for your scripts; they want to make you a better writer overall. Because of this, managers take on fewer clients, and therefore spend more time and energy on each client

An agent isn't what you want now. Agents are deal makers. They aren't interested in developing your writing or you as a writer. They want to sell. For this reason, they usually only take on more established clients. It isnt unusual for an agent you've signed with to dissapear for months, and then reaper right when your about to make a big sale. They come and go in bursts, and don't usually maintain a consistent relationship with you

First get a manager. Then, when you have a complete, revised script ready to take to the market, use your manager to get yourself in touch with an agent who can sell it. There are really two main ways to get a manager; submit scripts to legitimate contests that can put you in contact with them, or go the good old fashioned research and query route

Back