Screenshots from my short film colour grading

Hey i've done some photographic screen shots from my film.
I've colour graded to give a gritty feel, it's about a guy who wakes up after an iconic person in his life tells him to kill someone he doesn't even know.

So i want to know if the photos are good and do the colours look "right" and cinematic to you?

cheers :}

the film will be on youtube soon i think! there is an edit here which probably doesn't resemble the end product

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkP69p9hRaQ

the photos are here

http://www.fluidr.com/photos/bigmikeyeah

or here http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigmikeyeah/

5354647820_581bc4a25c.jpg

5354620078_d697c00a46.jpg

5354005463_22887d10f4.jpg

The first and third are blue and the second is green. I'm not a color expert and I don't know the context of the movie, but this could be an issue. Unless you're going for a different affect. Kinda like in Traffic where the Mexico scenes are all washed out and dry looking and the other scenes look nice.

Last edited:
Aesthetically speaking, they're very nice. However, to piggyback on Murdock's observation, would you mind elaborating on the psychology behind the shots you picked?

The first and third, blue, shots convey a sense of danger and mystery. The third focusing on the emotions of the actor who appears troubled. Does that match other blue scenes?

The second, like Murdock mentioned, is tough to read. The green jacket, which admittedly could be "green" because of the color grading, makes me think you want the color to be prominent, but to what end we're not sure. The actor appears more confident and grounded. Does that fit in with other scenes involving this color? Were you going for something different?

oh my god i just typed out the longest description to these and pressed quote to answer Murdock and it was all lost :[ time to start again *sigh*

Loomis!

The shots aren't in order first and foremost; which is probably why they are confusing, and tbh, they aren't fairly spaced within the film. 1 + 3 are very close to the begining and 2 is right at the end. The colour changes very gradually, and hopefully you wont notice it change, unlike these stills.

Second of all, they are supposed to be a summary of the scene in question; almost like an evaluative storyboard. This was something i was required to do for my college project, because i hven't any film teachers grading my work. So along side the filming i took stills, [since photography is my main subject] and i tried to keep a similar shot to the camera while showing the overall emotion of that scene.

The colour is very emphasised on these because i am trying to show the emotion of the scene, in the film the colour will be fairly washed out compared to these, these are just to keep the teachers happy :)

The order of the photos in the film is 3, 1, 2

In the film the 3rd photo is seen first and he's just woken up. I tried to convey a slightly dreamy feel to the picture with the pink highlights and go cold and mysterious with the blue, because at this point the audience don't know what the film is about and they don't know whats going on in his head.

What you find out is that he's mentally ill and he's just had a dream that has told him to kill someone he doesn't even know.

So a summary of the scene through the picture, he's just woken up, still slightly dazed but thinking about what he's been told to do in the dream. So i guess the Danger aspect probably fits well with this too, he's having dangerous thoughts. He is very troubled!

The next scene [photo number 1] is the next to appear in the film, he's in the bathroom and he's going about his daily business like normal, but still with this idea in his mind growing more apparent, he's thinking about it more and each time he does it makes more and more sense to him. This shot shows him looking into the mirror but with the blur it kinda looks like a POV shot that could imply he's talking to himself, or showing the two personalities at play in the film.
Or it could be the voice in his head, that appeared in his dream. Also the dreamy effect has almost worn off, and his mind is clearing up, like it does in the morning! [for me at least] The blue should show a nice cold temperature to his flat too since he's in the bathroom having a wash there.

The third, as you rightly suggest is a very different scene, where nearer the end of the film he appears at the house of the guy he's about to kill. It is supposed to show his assertiveness and surety about his actions. This is just before he pulls the gun out. I thought green felt like a right choice because the audience should feel a little bit scared here, i have no idea how i came to the conclusion of green = scared, but it seemed right. the jacket was green btw!

Tbh you pretty much got it! the hard thing to understand is the fact he's mentally ill, which i found very challenging to show through colour, i thought an inconsistent palette would best suit this, for his mind is ever changing throughout the film, but the film shows him doing his business as if he's certain it's what he has to do.

Thankyou for your replies! they're much appreciated.

Here are some more photos that i couldn't put in the post.

5354003209_5f2558101f.jpg

5354004463_f7fea25fa7.jpg

5354618032_2e109ea16f.jpg

Last edited:
I like the lighting in these.

I'm not a photographer buuuut.......to show he's mentaly ill you might use a fish eye to get that "bent" look and change the angle from which you took the still. For instance these are kinda front and little off center, and slighty side angle. Maybe try way out of center/really low looking up at a 45 degree abgle or more from front. Or even from above and off center using acute angles??? Just some ideas.

I just refering to the stills here. I would like to see the film as well.

Last edited:
Sorry :P

Thank you for taking the time to explain them. Very interesting.

Interestingly, when he enters the house the two palettes are meeting. The heavy shadows give a hint of the blues we saw in the beginning, which, as I'll assume from your comments, follows a largely green palette. This will help to make the audience feel as off-balanced as the actor should feel.

Cool stuff.

Last edited:
awesome! thanks for your comments, they've helped a lot knowing what you think! and confirming some gut feelings i had!

Thanks guys.

there is an edit i did here, but i'm not happy with it, it will be different to this i think.
But just for a feeling of what i've done, you may as well have a look.

this is just the intro, this just like 1/10 of the footage. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkP69p9hRaQ

i haven't changed the colour, apart from the bathroom but i'm not happy with that.
i need to make sure the bits that snap from one part to another fit with the mucic better too, they're intended btw, to make it look like he's not all there.
i guess in a way like donnie darko? where the film jumps from different parts, but more subtly and less time in between.

oh my god i just typed out the longest description to these and pressed quote to answer Murdock and it was all lost :[ time to start again *sigh*

When typing long posts, you can sometimes run past the timeout for the posting script... so when typing long posts (which I do relatively frequently), I always copy the post before hitting send in case this happens... once it's part of the workflow, you'll do it without thinking about it and it won't be annoying... up to that point, it's less annoying than having to retype the post :)

Once done, you can simply paste the content back in if it fails the first time.

haha i normally do! and i would've held ctrl if in case it went to another page, it would do it in another tab but i can't on this stupid keyboard since like 8 of the keys are broken from water damage!! i don't want to get a new one because this one lights up :) looks dead cool haha.

and thankyou :)

Like you said, it would be unfair to take too much away from that clip. Keep us up to date on your progress.

I'm digging the music.

Back