• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Screenplay Selling

I want to write films but have no means to have them created.
So, I would like to just sell scripts until I have the money and the time to make some into films.
My question is, how do I go about making money from what I've written?
Also, should I focus on selling to individuals or groups?

I can see where Brian is coming from. Most definitely. It's not a jibe. It's perspective.

I don't wholly disagree with Rick, or yourself, either.

Brian is simply saying concentrate on the craft. Don't think about anything else. What's important RIGHT NOW (because it's a long road, and every second counts) is that you focus on learning as much as you can of what it takes. Discovering your voice is a long road. From what I can gather, he's asking you to focus on that. Because right now, what you will be paid in the future isn't important. You have to get there. (With the knowledge already, that there's obviously the potential to make a successful living. We all know that. You don't need to be given ballpoint figures just yet)

I don't believe it a neglection of the business side. It's intrigue, and that shouldn't be dismissed. Yet, as a new Writer, it's an instruction to focus on LEARNING, and getting to the standard that you WILL be paid. It's kind of "Make every second count", "One step at a time" and "Don't count your chickens" mixed into one.

You're not entering the business yet. Learn the business after you've learnt the craft.

Brian is simply saying concentrate on the craft. Don't think about anything else. What's important RIGHT NOW (because it's a long road, and every second counts) is that you focus on learning as much as you can of what it takes. Discovering your voice is a long road. From what I can gather, he's asking you to focus on that. Because right now, what you will be paid in the future isn't important. You have to get there. (With the knowledge already, that there's obviously the potential to make a successful living. We all know that. You don't need to be given ballpoint figures just yet)

That's exactly what I'm saying. Perhaps a more diplomatic way to say it is that if there's a job you really want, if it's your dream job, you should be willing to do it for free. Phil Jackson once coached for free. Damn, I gotta stop with these sports analogies.

I am willing to do it for free at first.
I am asking these questions for when I do get started, not so I can start charging now.
My aim is to figure out if I can make my dream job a profession and career.
I want to become a master of the craft, just like anyone. But I also want to be able to profit from the craft.

I am willing to do it for free at first.
I am asking these questions for when I do get started, not so I can start charging now.
My aim is to figure out if I can make my dream job a profession and career.
I want to become a master of the craft, just like anyone. But I also want to be able to profit from the craft.

I think it's just a misunderstanding.

That's what I was referring to, earlier. We know we can make a successful living from it. Thousands of other screenwriters have. It's fact. It's possible. So I don't believe there is any doubt whether (if you got to the point that you wish to be) that you could make a living.

But, asking of what would be the likely wage this early, (in light of what was said above) is what I think prompted the point. It's intrigue. I can see that. But, given the internets common lack in properly translating conversation, and emphasis, I think it appeared that it was a determining factor, and your initial thought, rather than the art.

It's not the case, clearly. So not to worry.

Best of luck with your endeavor!

Back