Screenplay Format?

For a long time most of what I've done has been shorter videos with loose scripts or complete improv, but as I continue to make videos they get longer and I keep wanting to make bigger stories with more continuity. So I know I'm going to have to start writing things in depth eventually if I want to do bigger projects.

So I started writing a screenplay as practice so I have some idea of what to do when I want to put the ideas Im really passionate about into motion. But I read on here a couple days ago that having a lot of detail in a screenplay is bad? I think I just dont fully understand the format. I describe a lot of things but in my opinion everything is completely necessary because every camera shot in my head is very specific.

TL;DR I'm not much of a writer apparently.
Does anyone have any examples of what should/should not be done in a screenplay? What's too much description for you and how should all of the text be structured?

I describe a lot of things but in my opinion everything is completely necessary because every camera shot in my head is very specific.
The standard screenplay does not include camera shots or direction. However,
since you are writing to direct it is acceptable for you to put in every camera
shot.

Does anyone have any examples of what should/should not be done in a screenplay? What's too much description for you and how should all of the text be structured?
Since I'm sure you already used a search engine I guess you're looking
for something other than reading screenplays and looking on line. If
you're more specific
I'm sure we can help.

For a long time most of what I've done has been shorter videos with loose scripts or complete improv, but as I continue to make videos they get longer and I keep wanting to make bigger stories with more continuity. So I know I'm going to have to start writing things in depth eventually if I want to do bigger projects.

So I started writing a screenplay as practice so I have some idea of what to do when I want to put the ideas Im really passionate about into motion. But I read on here a couple days ago that having a lot of detail in a screenplay is bad? I think I just dont fully understand the format. I describe a lot of things but in my opinion everything is completely necessary because every camera shot in my head is very specific.

TL;DR I'm not much of a writer apparently.

If you're writing a screenplay for your own use and without time/budgetary limitations, include as much detail as you like, especially if you are also planning to direct. Even for your own use, however, it's probably wise to develop good habits.

It's if you're planning to write for someone else to use that too much detail becomes cumbersome and distracting. If someone else is going to direct, then it's not the best idea to try to do the director's job for him from the page. If you're trying to impress a producer, then definitely don't do that, as it will mark you out as an amateur. Also, too much detail screws up the rule of thumb of 1 page=1 minute. Every now and again is not a problem, but if every page is 75% screen directions, then it starts to become difficult to work with. Keep it snappy and minimal - a screenplay should describe the drama rather than how it is filmed. For anything in your script - dialogue or directions - ask yourself: what purpose does this serve? Is it redundant? Does it advance the plot or the characters? If not, then you can probably cut it out.

This is all stuff I've learned myself during my time here. The key rule for writing a good screenplay though is: a good story well told trumps every single thing you'll ever read in screenwriting guides. So don't stress too much about format and stuff. Just concentrate on story, structure and characters :)

Thank you guys!!!

Thank you Maz youre very helpful. <3

I guess you're looking
for something other than reading screenplays and looking on line.

Because I've not read many screenplays yet its not easy for me to critique them on what shouldnt be there. I just get a lot of mixed signals from you guys. ;P These are just for practice so that eventually I can do something I feel comfortable showing people. Like Maz said, I want to get into good habits.

Last edited:
yOU NEVER STaTED , YOU ARE DIRECTOR OR WRITER OR WRITER/DIRECTOR.

may be KNOWing THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SCRIPT WRITING AND SCREEN WRITING IS NECESSARY.

Script writing doesn't involves info about zoom in , zoom out , timing of place speciifcally.

screen writing involves most bit of info that appear on screen exactly(almost).
screen writing even involves the characters simple action ,if necessary.

Script writing can be considered as advance of skit writing , but again with more perfect format to depict the story in present tense.

I f you are writer/director, better go with screen writing.

If you are writer , better stik to script writing.
Directors don't like suggestion from others about how one scene has to appear on screen.

Script writing gives enough independence to director and they love it.

While , the other side ... screen writing pushes the reader to imagine the story scenes happen in particular way to be imagined exactly.
Directors hate it.

They hate those zoom in zoom out , day timing.

Most of the time , they even hate CUT IN/OUT, FADE IN/OUT being specified.

But, IT IS NECESARY I SCRIPT WRITING.

sCREEN WRITING INVOLVES LOT OF CUT IN /OUT STTATEMENTS.
AVOID IT.

Screen writng eg:
int.room.night
cut in

[person 1]
hai
cut out

cut in
[person 2]
hello
cut out
cut in
(apple on the table)
cut out
cut in
[person 2]

(person 2 turns towards table )
I love apple
cut out
cut in
[person 1]
mee too
cut out

script writng eg:

int.room.night
cut in
[person 1]
hai
[person 2]
hello

(person2 turns towards apple)

I love apple

[person1]

me too

cut out.

****I DIN'T USED CAMERA MOVES, ZOOM IN/OUT in screen writing, so it's less complicated !!!

I just get a lot of mixed signals from you guys

Welcome to writing. Writing is very opinionated. There are many methods of getting to a final product. There are standards that people expect. 3 act structure, capitalized character titles, descriptions, 3 hole punches, 2 fasteners and so on. In the whole scheme of things, it doesn't mean any of it is correct or not.

If you want to write like other writers, then learn their method, or at least, how their final output formatting.

When you're working with others, impressions can count. At the high end level, when you're asking studios to invest 8 or 9 figures, do you really want to spook them with something unexpected?

If you're in charge by directing and financing your own material, YOU decide how you want it done.

I just get a lot of mixed signals from you guys.
What mixed signals are you getting? Maybe I can clear some of them up.

How the text should be placed on the page is simple. Type "screenplay
format" into Google and you'll get THIS. Your personal style will be, well,
your personal style. If a lot of detail is completely necessary to your style
then you need to include a lot of detail.

How many screenplays have you read? If it's less than 20 I suggest
you get started and get to at least that number. You'll get a better
understand of style the more you read.

There are two reasons for writing a screenplay, first is as writer/director/producer, second is as a spec screenplay for sale to someone else to direct &/or produce.

If you're writing to direct/produce yourself there are no limitations on what your screenplay format should or shouldn't include.
Include everything you want to include.
Go crazy. You're the one reading it.
Do whatever you want.

If you're writing a spec(ulative) screenplay to put on the open market to sell to someone else to finance/direct/produce then your spec screenplay will be competing against MANY other spec screenplays.
For the poor guys that have to sit down and read fifty-bazillion spec screenplays keeping a tally of locations to secure, cast and crew requirements, equipment required, and other resources to budget for - for each screenplay - what they don't need to read is all sorts of crazy cr@p they're going to shoot with the locations they have, cast & crew they have, equipment they have, and other resources they have, and NOT the exact vision that you have.
There's no way for you to know what it is that someone else is going to do with that screenplay once they buy it.
Once they buy the rights from it - it's theirs, just like a car or couch. They can even sit on it and do nothing.
A screenplay is a blueprint that you as the architect have designed.
How the builder or homeowner chooses to execute the blueprint they have purchased from you is out of your control. They can change windows, doors, walls, railings, put in carpeting where you put in tiles, and stucco the siding instead of using brick.
It's their dime. You have no control.
Now, because these "readers" hafta pour over fifty-bazillion screenplays it sure is nice when they pretty much all follow some generally accepted industry conventions.
Thus: spec screenplay format.

Dialog is pretty much unlimited.
Characters need to say what they need to say.
Don't go hog-wild with dialects and abbreviated slang. Have your rednecks talk like rednecks and your foreigners muddle through broken English the best they can, but go easy on it.
Also, keep in mind there's a difference between FORMAT and STYLE.
Your screenplay editor should keep the dialog format pretty neat.
Your on-the-nose (OTN) and expository dialog is all your style to avoid.
Know the difference between V.O. and O.S.

Scene headings (slug lines) and action lines is where most new spec screenplay writers have trouble. And their title pages, too.

Scene headings are almost always three parts:
INT./EXT. (space) LOCATION (space hyphen space) DAY/NIGHT
Bold or not bold is your choice. Old school is not bold. Within the last decade bold slugs are only beginning to become acceptable.

Action lines should provide the most basic and minimal direction as possible short of being uninteresting and boring - which is a really neat trick to pull off!
It is an art to learn.
If the popcorn gobbling audience can't see it then don't write it.

Example
Code:
EXT. CITY SIDEWALK - DAY

On the way to his car Bob jaunts along thinking of the wild sex he had 
with his boss last night.

Audience may know from the previous scene what Bob's thinking about, but you don't write in an action line what the audience doesn't see.

Code:
EXT. CITY SIDEWALK - DAY

On the way to his car Bob jaunts along with a self pleased grin.

Now consider how twenty different directors behind a camera are going to shoot that simple two second scene.
Hell, you can probably shoot that same scene eight different ways.
So, in a SPEC SCREENPLAY don't include camera angles, lighting, and all sorts of different gobbledygook you have no control over when someone else is paying for locations, cast & crew, equipment, and resources.

The title page and all the text throughout the entire screenplay are all 12point Courier.
DON'T do anything else.
12point Courier. That's it.

Here are some mostly current screenplays to read over: http://www.imsdb.com/latest/
Most don't strictly follow spec screenplay format because most are by established writers who have the street cred to do whatever they want - within reason.
Some are even shooting scripts WHICH DO include camera angles and transition cuts.
But the more of these you read the better you'll understand what's expected

Also helpful is to pop in your top ten DVDs and watch the extra/bonus features, especially the director/actor/producer commentaries, and learn just how much changes from script to screen.
No one gives a flying fig about the writers.

My three goto DVD commentaries are for 'Cabin Fever', 'Fight Club', and 'The Expendables'.
I have no comment about the quality or content of the films themselves, but the commentaries are fantastically educational about what is and isn't important in the screenplay itself.

Another resource is to read the production wiki of 'Salt', then watch the movie, then reread the wiki and watch the DVD commentary if you can.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salt_(2010_film)#Production

A lot changes from script to screen.

Watch enough of these commentaries of writer/director films and you'll see that even when writing to direct that what they imagine in their own screenplays gets changed when faced with the actualities of locations secured, cast & crew on hand, and other budgetary limitations.

If you've ever watched the deleted scenes of a film then you can consider the cost associated with not just writing a scene destined to be left on the proverbial cutting room floor but also to secure the location, assemble cast crew and equipment, shoot it, edit it only to ditch it.
Ten minutes of deleted scenes from a $40million 110min final edit film:
$40M production budget
/120min shot
= $333k per screen minute
x 10min deleted
= $3.33M basically thrown away on poor/safe planning, depending upon how you look at it.

And this is frequently by professionals who should know WTH they're doing.
So, be VERY judicious about what it is you're including in your spec screenplays.

Also, what screenplay editor program are you using?

Last edited:
Back