Sci-fi alien costume

I am in the middle of writing a new sci-fi thriller script. It will be a low budget shot here in North Texas. We will need an alien costume for a short actor to wear and we need it to be convincing, as I have a few closeups of the alien's head and need to show some emotion in the face. Anyone ever done one or know someone who could create a new alien? I'll need this info to convince the investors that we ccan pull this off on a low budget.

Randy

I know it's the wrong time of year, but I've found that SOME of the people that work in those temporary Halloween stores usually have a good knowledge of make-up & costumes, or know people who are into it.

In fact, there's a costume shop off of Inwood in Dallas called Incognito Costume World. I went in there one Halloween, and they had a few make artists that were working that seemed to know what they were talking about. You might give them a call. At the least, they probably know people around the area that could help.

Writeum, Find an SFX artist. They are everywhere and just as anxious for work as we are. I know several here in Ohio. Three in particular who would likely ship work to you- however, they will tell you that they need a life casting of the actor's head to make a convincing and well fitting mask, I think. I will email you their information.

Thanks, Lilith.

I did talk to one SFX guy in Dallas and he says we'd use "bicycle" controls which are not wireless so we'd have to plan our shots but with several different masks I could get some facial motion, which is what I'll need.

Any more information?

Randy

If you're talking low budget, you're going to have to go cable control. Wireless servos are expensive.

I spent my entire makeup efx career building and operating puppets and masks with cable control. They can look pretty good. What kind of budget are you looking at the the Alien?

I am at a loss on what to budget for this type of film. We will be pitching a prodco who likes sci-fi and will assign a maximum budget of $200K. Fortunately there will not be any after post costs like P&A, etc. I am thinking shooting HD, but now that may be too expensive. The locations will be rural and the main Act II is set in 1973, so that isn't bad either. Since we will be set in a rural area I anticipate putting up the cast and crew in a motle for the duration, but catering might be a little more due to the locations.

Some SFX in post, so I have to make sure I budget that as well.

I have just started the script, so a lot of these questions are just research right now. The story is based on an old legend here in Texas but with a couple of twists. No horror or gore, just scary at times.

Back