• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Scene location - near one's house - how to write them?

I need to write a scene which happens near one's house. Should I write:

EXT. NEAR MAX'S HOUSE - NIGHT

or

EXT. A STREET NEAR MAX'S HOUSE - NIGHT

or

EXT. ENTRANCE TO MAX'S HOUSE - NIGHT

or what?

P.S. I know that the 3rd option sound good, but the characters on the scene are NOT standing near the entrance - they walk TOWARDS the entrance, and only at the end of the scene they get there.

Going in circles. But I'll try one more time.

There are set "rules" about format. If those are broken then that is
a "nubie" mistake. Then there is style. Some people say "we see" is
a "noob" mistake. They are clearly wrong because many, many scripts
by professionals use it. Those people are in their own little world - the
people who matter are not in that world.

The pros have a "CLEARLY DEFINED PRFESSIONAL TECHNIQUE" and
those six clearly defined format rules are followed. Then they have
their style. People selling books on screenwriting and writing blogs
and selling their "coverage" and "consulting" services try to make
you think things like "we see" are not part of the clearly defined
professional technique.

And you believe them.

Yet the people who actually buy and option screenplays do not think
that way. Consultants are not looking at the same thing producers are.

So, no, the industry isn't fucked up. The people who claim to know what
the industry wants are fucked up.

And you believe them.

A pragmatic realist sees what is right in front of him; you have examples
from other industries; you read scripts that have sold that do not follow
those made up "rules".

But you believe the "consultants".

I will add that when I read MANY of the online movie scripts (yes, the ones made into movies) I read "We see" and "is" and "are" all over the place. As I also pointed out, the action blocks are very verbose and many times exceed the supposed "rule" of no more than 4 lines of action per paragraph.

Now the typical response when I point this shit out is, "Well, when you sell a bunch of movie scripts, then you can do the same."

My response to that is, as usual, "Well how the hell did they sell their first script in the first place if it was chocked full of Nooby-ass, rookie-looking formatting errors?"

I appreciate directorik's attempt of reassuring the new script writers that things are not as bad as it seems, but being the pragmatic realist that I am ...the facts don't seem to add up. What I see that "sells" DOES NOT MATCH UP with what we are told will sell.

Again, ..........fucked up industry.

- Birdman

When you read these scripts, is the director's (and/or producer's) name the same as the script writer's name? Do these scripts say "shooting script" on the title page? Just curious. I've found very few major movie spec scripts or drafts. SimplyScripts and most sites have mostly 'shooting scripts' and transcriptions. A shooting script is an enhanced spec script that's been loaded with direction. Transcriptions are often done by fans who have no screenwriting experience which often accounts for their non-standard format.

I can assure you that what you're seeing was not what was sold. The way the industry works, is you sell a decent story script (spec) then it gets re-written into a decent movie script (shooting). The 'ideal' is that they're identical but that's seldom the reality UNLESS the writer is also the producer and/or director. You seem to ignore that point which isn't very realistic.

Obviously being an insider helps. Joss Whedon's father was a successful television writer. That's not an automatic "in" but he had someone to coach him. That doesn't minimize new writers. Getting produced and building up credentials is a great way to gain more opportunities and control over one's work.

It's for substituting a camera cue. If you want to secretly direct a camera in your script you could use. "we see".

EXAMPLE:

Circling behind Bob, we see many people handing him papers. We see Bob getting smaller and smaller. We see thousands of people surrounding Bob as he shrinks even smaller.

....so the camera curved around Bob and then went upward to show a panoramic view. It can be written in other ways without "We see" but some feel this is a better way. ...I don't.

- Birdman
Yes, your segment could be excerpted from a shooting script, most likely a writer/director film. And PRESUMING I'M THE DIRECTOR, sure I can write it that way. Some directors would simply scratch that scene. Too many "directing from within the script" comments will turn off most producers. They are paying directors to shoot it, not the screenwriter.

I empathize with what you want to show, and there are ways of doing it without being heavyhanded. Below is an example that does the same without using "we see" since that is implied in a movie. I don't need to tell the director how to position HIS/HER camera(s) or shoot this scene. I can still convey the feeling that Bob is being surrounded and swallowed up and allow them to interpret it as they see fit unless I choose to produce and/or direct it myself then I can write anyway I please.
Code:
Bob looks back and forth stunned as more people stream 
forward and surround him.  Their indistinctive voices and 
faces muddle and spin about him.

Bob seems to shrink as hands clasping papers from the 
whirlpool of bodies swallow him up.
Again, it's about making your script sell. I can convey a 'feel of the shot' but allow the director the freedom to 'realize the shot'. Whirlpool, swallow, muddle, spin - active visual words that convey rotation. And by splitting the action, I can imply different shot sequences--one from Bob's perspective inside the vortex and one external. It provides two options for a producer reading this script to visualize the scene. It provides guidance not direction to the actor - stunned, muddled, dizzy, shrinking. Others would go to far extreme which I think is too much. An action writer's take would be:
Code:
Many people hand Bob papers, he begins to shrink.  As 
thousands of people surround him, he shrinks smaller.
Both are about personal styles of writing, one more descriptive (visual) than the other. There is nothing wrong with describing something with "we see" or "we hear" per se. Though anything written in a script is 'seen' or 'heard' by default. The PROBLEM is that most of these 'rules' arise from situations which tends to be overused and unnecessary. "We see" is often used to "direct from within the script" rather than to describe something. "Never" should be replaced with "use as last resort" in most of these "rules". Just as a judicious "GOTO" can expedite a program, a judicious "we see" can do the same for a script. Though I know many programmers who will eschew using GOTOs on principle. Some programmers are downright cantankerous about it. It's not about 'enforcing rules' or 'breaking rules', it's about finding a balance that highlights the story.

Last edited:
GOTO in programming can be very... very confusing with large script codes. It's way better to put everything in declared sub-functions and call them in time of need :) This way this script can be comprehensive not only for its creator, but for other programmers as well. And, unlikely with GOTO's, it also visually shortens the script code.

But you believe the "consultants".
Producers will not teach me how to write. And those who teach me how to write - are not producers... Who should I believe in these dark times?

It seems like "Screenplay Script Writing" is in its own special little world where you learn, learn, learn to do the right things, perfect your scripting, sharpen your technique and master your skills ....only to find the upper crust of the Hollywood screenplays resemble the noobie shit you did waaaaay back in the beginning. ...So this is why I say it's "Fucked up".
I supposed I'd have to agree. But when you reach the top of your game, you don't need to play by the same rules. When you can afford to fund the making of your own script or you are placed in the position of making your own script (writer/director), guess what, your bad writing habits get made into a movie. It's not uncommon for directors to pay their friends to proof (i.e. doctor) their scripts. The history of movies is fascinating. The script for "Casablanca" was literally being written hours before the scene was being shot. Sometimes the 'noobie shit' seen in the published shooting scripts are the additions/alterations added after the fact. I want to re-emphasize, the scripts you read online are often NOT the scripts that were originally submitted. To make that assumption is dangerous and misleading. I think that is where your confusion lies.

If you sent me your manuscript and I decided to produce it. We start shooting and realize, we're way over budget. So my director crosses out your ending and puts in something smarmy writing "We see the hero roll over and shoot the villain. The heroine quickly runs over and is seen kissing him as he dies." The movie is made. Now the addition appears in the shooting script in place of yours though it still has your name because of WGA requirements. Damn, Birdman broke the rules with "we see", "quickly", "is seen", etc. Are you a bad boy rule breaker - or you just inherit the reputation from a shooting script edit? You still get paid, so does it matter? Hell, you don't even own the copyright so can't complain. This is a case where the output does not resemble the input. And a writer directing his/her own work has fewer constraints. And I have to say, some of the scripts I've read by writer/directors could only have been produced under this effed up system.

...I had my house built from a blueprint. The builders modified the hell out of the blueprints to make "special things" that I wanted to happen. They added 2 extra feet to the basement so I could work on my paintings along with a myriad of other changes.

When I walk out to the street and look at my house ......IT STILL looks just like the blueprints indicated it would. Sure, many things changed, but the house I saw in the illustration is the one that's sitting on my lot right now!
That's true for most scripts as well. You can always find examples of scripts that have been transmogrified beyond their original concept. It's not an "us against them" with writers, directors and producers. Like I said, it comes down to money. It costs too much for a producer to have to totally redo a script. It's easier to pass. Effects heavy films tend to run behind with cost overruns. As a result, often the cool scenes are cut, dumbed down, or the endings get drastically overhauled. The same for period pieces. But as the home owner, you could change the walls, windows, put on a patio. That is the same with the person who owns your script. Because you bought the house (script), as its new owner you can change it to make it liveable for you.

Now YOUR definition of a Screenplay being a "blueprint" is completely different than Rayw's, Chimps and several others. Their version of a "blueprint" is that I write a damned screenplay. The "Director" comes along and scraps everything I wrote and substitutes his own. My "vision" regarding the movie is tantamount to NOTHING!

Why can't you all agree on something as basic as what a Screenplay actually is?

So who's right? ...You? ....Chimp? .........Rayw? ...............Nobody?

-Birdman
Well, I am, of course. :cool: I think we all agree that your vision of the story is uniquely yours. The realization of your story is the person who buys it off you. Ideally, they match up, but not always. As pragmatic realists, we urge you to take the money and run. If you truly want to see the movie made the way you've written it, you NEED to produce and direct it yourself. That is the only way to ensure that it is artistically faithful.

There are many reasons, if I produced your project, I'd need to make changes. I can get a SAG actor on an Ultra-low budget agreement. He needs to be a main character. Your 17 something lead is now a 35 something lead. I can use his name to sell this picture. Oops, he can't be in high school anymore, so it needs to be changed to a community college setting since he looks like he can play a 25 something. Damn, this will need some re-writing. Now with all the changes, Birdman has gone from "written by" to "adapted from". If you have an agent, s/he may have negotiated your contract to include the re-writes, hence protecting your author status. As a producer, I still love your story about the twinkling vampire but I need to make a profit. Since I optioned/bought your script, you have little to no say so in how I use it.

What Chimp and Ray touch on is that there are three levels: hobby filmmaking, local indie filmmaking and production studio filmmaking. This forum supports all three levels. Hobby filmmakers are often 0-$10K budget shoots of fan films, horrors, shorts, local festival films. Indie filmmakers often have budgets from $10K - $500K. They typically use professional actors (non-union and occasionally union) with professional grade equipment. They will sometimes shop around for scripts. Production studio filmmakers are $500K+. These are almost always SAG/AFTRA productions with sufficient clout to bankroll their production budgets. They often anticipate a substantial return from various venues--DVD, streaming, overseas distribution, etc.

Most screenwriters can get their work produced in the first two categories. Most local indie directors don't care if you use proper format or not. Most of them are also writer/directors. Those that do dedicate themselves to perfecting their talents often move up to the next level and can partner with major studios for distribution. The third group is the "professional" level. They want a script that delivers ROI. They have access to green screen and sound studios. They know that time is money. They have access to writers with production credits under their belt. On the production side, the more a writer can do to make the script profitable to shoot, the more likely it is to be purchased and made as written. A clean, well written script is a blueprint for a good storyboard.

Like your house, sometimes the changes are internal. The outside is like the genre (horror, sci-fi, etc.). The interior is more the structure (scenes and acts). Sometimes by choice or accident, part of the house is demolished and needs to be changed. It isn't common that the whole house needs to be razed and rebuilt from scratch, though it sometimes happens if major elements are in disrepair. I don't care what house you buy, as the homeowner, you'll probably make some minor changes--painting a room, adding/removing carpeting, etc. The same is true with a script. The more closely the script matches the producer's needs and resources, the fewer changes that are needed.

When you sell a house, the realtor makes suggestions how to improve its 'curb appeal' and inside, its 'familiarity'. The same is true with suggestions about a reader makes about a script's style. A good reader doing coverage, like a good realtor, will know what the other "houses" in your area are going for. So a well written script--for me--is a blueprint that suggests genre, structure and story and marketability ('curb appeal'). Ray tends to focus on genre, structure and marketability (the money hungry bastard :contract:). I think story shouldn't pander solely to commercial interests. Not every movie worth making needs to gross millions of dollars but it should at least cover production expenses with a money left over to invest in future productions. On the other hand, I don't turn down money even when the film goes unmade.

Ray tends to focus on genre, structure and marketability (the money hungry bastard :contract:)...
Pretty much. :yes:

I can spend $100k on my kids' college education, a good chunk of a Florida rental condo, assorted retirement funds, or a fairly low budget film.

Hmm... what should I do? What should I do... ?

On the other hand, I don't turn down money even when the film goes unmade.
You're a smart man, F. ;)

Producers will not teach me how to write. And those who teach me how to write - are not producers... Who should I believe in these dark times?
You miss my point. You are right, producers will not teach you
how to write. Producers buy the scripts. They are who you are
writing for. Consultants will not teach you how to write either.
They will take your money and tell you all the mistakes they
feel you made in formatting.

I want to re-emphasize, the scripts you read online are often NOT the scripts that were originally submitted. To make that assumption is dangerous and misleading. I think that is where your confusion lies.

...I understand the difference between a shooting script and the original screenplay. I do find it a little humorous that the script that really counts (the shooting script) is the least professional looking. Especially since all of that $100M budget is dependent on that script being professional.

If you sent me your manuscript and I decided to produce it. We start shooting and realize, we're way over budget. So my director crosses out your ending and puts in something smarmy writing "We see the hero roll over and shoot the villain. The heroine quickly runs over and is seen kissing him as he dies." The movie is made.

...I find this equally humorous because time after time we "noobs" are digitally lectured in these forums on how we're not supposed to include shit in our scripts that may cost more money (trademarked products, movie clips, song titles). Here you've pointed out that when they start filming and notice they're over-budget... suddenly the ending gets re-written.

(1) As in house building, the budget is monitored in stages. That way if you "start" going over budget you can spread out the overage over the rest of the build. No one section takes the hit. A film maker who re-writes an ending because he over-spent on the budget during the first 4/5ths of the movie sounds pretty unprofessional.

(2) If you compromise the background of a painting because you're running out of painting. You get a fucked up painting. If you hurry up and end a song because you've used too much of the pre-determined radio time, you get a fucked up song. But along comes the movie industry! Do a real good job for 4/5ths of a movie ...and then slap a B-movie ending on it for budgetary concerns. I don't see the investors being very happy about that.

(3) If I was down by two points in the final seconds of the NCAA championship game ...do I put in my sloppiest three-point shooters to hopefully win it for me? ...No! ...We only do shit like that in Hollywood.

That's true for most scripts as well. You can always find examples of scripts that have been transmogrified beyond their original concept.

...Very few people can send me to the dictionary. ....Kudos to you, Mr. FantasySciFi!

Well, I am, of course. :cool: I think we all agree that your vision of the story is uniquely yours. The realization of your story is the person who buys it off you. Ideally, they match up, but not always. As pragmatic realists, we urge you to take the money and run. If you truly want to see the movie made the way you've written it, you NEED to produce and direct it yourself. That is the only way to ensure that it is artistically faithful.

...First off, you are one of the VERY FEW posters who have indicated that producers and directors will make an attempt to stick to your original concepts of what the movie should look like (which is what I believe). The majority feel we are mindless scum-writers with no vision. ...So who's right? You ...or RayW (who feels the end product will be nothing like what you "envisioned?)

Secondly, The perfect scenario for me is that I would act as a "consultant" to the Director ...so that the spirit of the original concept would always be present during production. In other words, if the Director wants to dramatically change something, I would act as a defense lawyer in behalf of the original concept. The Director would ALWAYS have final say ...but at least the original concept had its say. Hell, We might be in complete agreement on the changes. I would even accept less $ for the script to have the opportunity to be able to advocate the original concept.

Now with all the changes, Birdman has gone from "written by" to "adapted from". If you have an agent, s/he may have negotiated your contract to include the re-writes, hence protecting your author status. As a producer, I still love your story about the twinkling vampire but I need to make a profit. Since I optioned/bought your script, you have little to no say so in how I use it.

...I would think this would be the case more than not. I would also think the "Hollywood Professionals" with the MONEY AT STAKE would have already figured out what will be needed to pull off the movie prior to flat out buying the script. Who wouldn't want their "Author Status" protected when the credits are rolling? That is the basis for your future as a script writer!

It isn't common that the whole house needs to be razed and rebuilt from scratch, though it sometimes happens if major elements are in disrepair. I don't care what house you buy, as the homeowner, you'll probably make some minor changes--painting a room, adding/removing carpeting, etc. The same is true with a script. The more closely the script matches the producer's needs and resources, the fewer changes that are needed.

...Using a house that is in disrepair is not a fair analogy because we are talking about a "new build" just as a movie is a "new build".

When investing in a new house build, I am the "money man". Everyone gets paid from ME! If I buy the blueprints for a house and the builders deliver something totally different than what I was wanting in my house (based on the blueprints) ...you can bet your sweet ass I'm not going to be happy. Especially if the dining room is all fucked up because they ran over budget.

Likewise, let's say I'm an investor in a major motion picture. I read the original script concept and like it. Here's my money! Make that movie! Make me PROFIT!! It goes into production and the end result looks dramatically different than what my investment money was slated for ...I'm going to probably end up pissed! Especially if the ending is slapped together because the producers ran out of cash (just like the living room).

I think story shouldn't pander solely to commercial interests. Not every movie worth making needs to gross millions of dollars but it should at least cover production expenses with a money left over to invest in future productions. On the other hand, I don't turn down money even when the film goes unmade.

...I would think that an ANY of the three different levels of production (that you mentioned earlier) there should be an expected percentage of return on investment. If it's a "business" then it would have to be that way, don't you think? It doesn't matter if $10K is invested or $100M is invested. If the investors expect a 40% return on profit, then that must be the goal. The "story" should be the guidepost for obtaining the 40% profit.

...Here's where you're going to have to be honest, Directorrik. You're being too kind (you big fucking softy :lol: ).

You either have writing talent or you don't. Sure, there are a few who can learn to be good enough writers to maybe get something sold ...but the "dark times" truth is that unless you have a God-given talent for conveying ideas with words (like a master painter or a gifted song writer in their respective fields) ...then this is not the business for you.

There has to be the perfect combination of an extreme gift for writing and an extreme gift of imagination along with the essential knowledge of proper script formatting to be able to construct a Spec Script that will get noticed. "Money" always separates the wheat from the chaff.

-Birdman

Last edited:

So there is no way to check the potential of my script, other than trying to submit it to producers/agents?

You miss my point. You are right, producers will not teach you how to write. Producers buy the scripts. They are who you are writing for. Consultants will not teach you how to write either. They will take your money and tell you all the mistakes they feel you made in formatting.

So there is no way to check the potential of my script, other than trying to submit it to producers/agents?
To what 'potential' are your referring? You asked about 'teaching you to write' which Directorik addressed.

Learn to write? --> Take a class or workshop with a produced screenwriter/filmmaker
Quality of your Script? --> Have a produced screenwriter/filmmaker read it for you or pay a consultant
Potential to be sold? --> Send it to a script consultant who also provides coverage AND develop your credentials as a writer (OR submit it to potential producers/literary agencies)

Potential monetary value of a movie script? --> That depends totally on the producer who buys the script

The script--no matter how unique the idea--is not what makes the money. It's the realization as a movie that makes the money. Nowadays that depends on how successfully the producer can create a package which involves getting A-list actors are on board, tapping the existing fan base, selecting a top director who knows how to create compelling visual drama, procuring top notch music, and of course over-the-top special effects. The big advantages of large studios are their marketing arm and ability to borrow large capital. A smaller studio with less pull and fewer resources can produce the same script on a smaller scale and see a smaller return. Does that mean the script is of lesser value? Of course not.

A script is worth what you, as the writer, are willing to accept in exchange for the opportunity to build your credentials. The more credentials you've earned, the more money you can expect to be offered, and the more likely you will be able to attract interest from major studios. There are many "medium sized" independent studios looking for solid scripts. They're willing to give new writers opportunities. New writers often think they're the exception with that "golden ticket" script that a major studio will select and often end up disappointed. Have a solid lead script but others in the works. If you make the most of opportunities presented to you, you will see progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman
So who's right? ...You? ....Chimp? .........Rayw? ...............Nobody?
I'm right! :yes:

You still haven't started your director commentary homework on 'Salt', 'The Eendables', and 'Green Zone', have you? ;)

Oh, I agree, wholeheartedly.
A horrible film.
The sequel is worse, and the third is due sometime soon.

But you're not watching it for entertainment.
You're listening to the commentary and watching the extras to learn how things change from a "locked script" to screen - and why.

Personally, after listening to Stallone's directing style I think he'd be one of the coolest guys to work for - even if the film is rubbish.
He comes across as a pretty cool guy.

Personally, after listening to Stallone's directing style I think he'd be one of the coolest guys to work for - even if the film is rubbish. He comes across as a pretty cool guy.
Sylvester Stallone is a rather sharp industry insider. While most people think of him as his "Rocky" persona, he has several writing and acting credits to his name. While there is a lot of misinformation about how "Rocky" came about, there are certain truths. He had minor acting roles until noticed in "The Lords of Flatbush" which helped him to land a couple television roles. During that time, he had been writing scripts. He talked his acting agent, Larry Kubik, into taking one of his scripts to producer friends. The producers, Chartoff and Winkler were taken by it. They worked with United Artists. United Artists was interested but had other actors for the lead in mind. And while details vary about how much he got for the script, it is known that Stallone negotiated with the producers to use him. Now the nifty thing is that the producers already had a contract with UA that they could greenlight a project that had a budget come in under a million. The project came in shy of a million and was automatically greenlit. Stallone was not only paid for writing but also acting. That film bankrolled nearly $220 M. With his multiple roles, he saw a nice piece of that.

A lot of actors-turned-writers use their acting agents to get their scripts into the hands of producers. Shane Black is a classic example. If you have an agent who knows Joel Silver, you can get your script read too. Not that "Lethal Weapon" is a bad story, but that script, if it had to be treated like everyone else's script, would not have made it past the readers.

Stripper-turned-screenwriter, 'Diablo Cody' was a successful writer/journalist/novelist whose manager took her first screenplay and shopped it around. She had serious writing chops before her first screenplay and serious contacts. "Juno" was a combination of talent with opportunity and contacts.

"Reservoir Dogs" which was a major debut for Tarantino was only set to shoot with $30 K. It was only when Harvey Keitel became involved that they raised $1.5 M for the production. Writer/directors have much more freedom. Honestly, the first 10 minutes is the worst piece of writing to be seen. You could cut that intro in the diner down without impact to the rest of the story, which is quite good. While influential for indie filmmakers, without Keitel's presence, Tarantino probably would not be where he is today.

I know I sound like a broken record--okay, a DVD with peanut butter smudges for the younger crowd--but these 'exceptional screenplays' are neither lucky nor totally due to avant garde stylistics. It's about networking, building up industry experience, and mastering the basics. This notion that the script is a golden ticket is a dangerous one. If you're active in the industry, you move up. If you treat screenwriting like a hobby, then it will probably continue to remain a fun exercise in creative writing. Thinking that because you followed all the formatting and hit all the plot points listed in some guru's book will make that idea of yours a million dollar winner if only some stupid reader would recognize it ... well, is simply misguided. A good script is only a piece of the equation--credentials and contacts also figure in.

Stallone, Black, Busey ('Diablo Cody'), Tarantino and others show how talent, contacts, and industry-savvy can help you advance. Many screenwriters and directors are like them. Thinking it's just style or luck is really a disservice to the work they put into creating their own opportunities.

What if I don't live in US? How do I build connections in the industry? Israeli filming industry doesn't work with Hollywood, and Israeli movies are very rare, unsuccessful, and are made only for Israeli audience. Even if I make a good one, it's a doubt it will be even seen abroad.

FantasySciFi, saying "potential" I meant how strong it will be requested. You know, it can be:
1) - "Wtf? I wasted another 2 minutes of my life, reading that query"
2) - "Maybe I should see the script..."
3) - "I must buy this script! I must!!!". And then I, or an agent, can bargain a good price.

Last edited:
What if I don't live in US? How do I build connections in the industry? Israeli filming industry doesn't work with Hollywood, and Israeli movies are very rare, unsuccessful, and are made only for Israeli audience. Even if I make a good one, it's a doubt it will be even seen abroad.
There's a reason why people move to Los Angeles or New York.

If you do not live where movies are being made you can't
build connections in the industry. That's true in all industries.
Living in Kansas one will not build connections in the surfing
industry.

FantasySciFi, saying "potential" I meant how strong it will be requested. You know, it can be:
1) - "Wtf? I wasted another 2 minutes of my life, reading that query"
2) - "Maybe I should see the script..."
3) - "I must buy this script! I must!!!". And then I, or an agent, can bargain a good price.
First, it sounds like you are making excuses. You're so busy arguing why you can't, you're not looking for ways to be successful. That's a mindset. Kids across the world are becoming Internet sensations by posting on Youtube and Vimeo. Hollywood is no longer the only game in town. If you've never used a camera, worked with lighting or sound, or acted in front of a camera, now is the time to start. It doesn't have to be a "good" movie (i.e., Hollywood style production). Until you reach and push yourself, you can't grow. You need to look! I'm in the US but here's a call on Craigslist in Tel Aviv, Israel in the Film/Video/Radio section.
Code:
[B][U]CL >tel aviv >all jobs >tv/film/video/radio jobs[/U][/B]
[B][I]Assistance needed in a video scene[/I][/B]
compensation: Compensation payment would be 40ILS per hour (but 100 minimum), plus petrol.
A low budget artist with wide range of photography and film making projects, needs 
assistance  in a video scene making, to be made at the beach.
Your assistance would be needed with:
- a car ride to reach the beach from and back to Ramat-Gan (with minimal equipment and only 
one person to take).
- guarding the camera (while shooting).
- estimation of 1-2 hours at the beach.
- if you know the beaches near Tel-Aviv or beyond - it is an advantage.

If this experience would go well, there is potential for future more collaborations.
Compensation payment would be 40ILS per hour (but 100 minimum), plus petrol.
    Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
    do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers
post id: 4345732540     posted: a month ago
Stop whining. Go make contacts! If you're not willing to do that, then you're just wasting your time dreaming about that 'golden ticket'.

If you don't have credentials, the query probably isn't going anywhere in Hollywood, to be honest. It's better to write a few shorts or webseries locally and produce them. Even if you consider them below your level, others will see it as positive. Perhaps in the past Hollywood was more open to outsiders, but now the competition is fierce, especially with so many writer/directors making shorts with IMDB credit and/or competitive standings. If you're a published writer, you're chances of getting a request to review your script jumps up immediately. Everyone talks about Diablo Cody as if she just appeared. She had several blogs, wrote for magazines and had just published a novel when her manager suggested she adapt her writing to a screenplay, "Juno". She is very talented. She's since moved on to collaborate with other writers.

As for 'potential', you've already been told:
Learn to write? --> Take a class or workshop with a produced screenwriter/filmmaker
Quality of your Script? --> Have a produced screenwriter/filmmaker read it for you or pay a consultant
Potential to be sold? --> Send it to a script consultant who also provides coverage AND develop your credentials as a writer (OR submit it to potential producers/literary agencies)

If you're not out working on your own behalf, I can guarantee that no agent will either.

FantasySciFi, I'm already co-directing a short 20-min length SciFi film, which will be started shooting within 1-2 months. Yes, I take opportunities. There are enough of them in Tel Aviv. There are many scums, though. That's why I'm taking only those who make contracts, who make it an official deal.

Back