Saving Private Ryan

I was watching Saving Private Ryan the other night and there is one scene that just makes my stomach drop. The scene when the American soldiers defending the bridge with private Ryan's squad. One of the soldiers who for the life of me I can not remember the name of, the Italian guy, is on the top floor of a building and hears footsteps coming up the stairs. He says "Upum?". For those of you who haven't seen the film Upum was an interpreter who was carrying extra ammo. (If you have not seen the movie I suggest you stop reading, spoiler). The American soldier fires a few rounds into the wall opposite the stairs. Its completely silent. Then it shows a bullet fly through the wall and hit the American soldier standing next to him. A German soldier rushes through and tackles the American soldier, (the italian one who yelled Upum). The two wrestle on the ground for a bit and then they begin a fight for a knife. With the German soldier on top he begins slowly pushing the knife towards the chest of the American soldier. The American says "no please, please", as the knife ever so slowly punctures his skin and is going deeper into his chest. The German soldier whispers "sshhhh, shhh". This scene is easily the most disturbing scene I have ever seen. All I can do is just stare and say absolutely nothing. I feel sick to my stomach, not because the scene is disgusting, but because I almost feel like I am that American soldier. I think it might be the fact this happens so slowly that it works. And it happens every time I see the movie. I was wondering if anybody else had seen this and feel the same way I do. I also would like to know, maybe a bit off topic, if you liked this movie. It being I believe number 16 all time according to some group I forget what. It's one of my favorites but I also think this might be just a bit overrated.

I feel the same way. Very tight scene. As is the entire film.

16th best ever? Nah. I wouldn't even give it the best war film. That would go to Black Hawk Down (and of course Horror of War would get a close second...sorry Sonnyboo). But I'd certainly be proud to have my name attached to it!

Chris

i don't know but i agree that that has been one of the best war films of all time. It just makes you wanna.... not join the military
haha
i'm an enlisted future soldier, i ship out to BCT on August 10th... Infantry. I'll have to compare reality with the movies with a bit of hands on... haha

Rogypro...don't get me wrong, Ryan is a good movie, just not THAT good!

And I hate to break it to you, but today's military isn't your Dad's or GrandDad's military. For the most part Technology has changed things a lot (not to take anything away from those that serve!).

In any case, thanks for your service! I sincerely appreciate it.

Chris

I guess i agree with you.
In reality, i wanna get experiences in Basic Training, Advanced individual training, and catch all the drama that occurs inside the fort, and be able to transform it into a film somehow. Idk.

About Ryan... its good.... i say it's really good since there have not been many war movies that can give you the chills and excitement like that one...

Different strokes for different folks...

SPR is one of the best war films ever made. Many WWII vets commented that it was the closest to reality, and brought back the nightmares in a way no other war film had ever done before.

SPR is also a masterpiece of POV filmmaking. Almost the entire film is seen from the perspective of the soldiers. It is also a master class in sound design. Gary Rydstrom, Richard Hymns and their team did a fantastic job.

The impact of the cinematography of SAVING PRIVATE RYAN has reverberated through television and film for the past 11 years. The whole "pseudo-documentary" hand-held camera, whip pan, lose focus, lens flare style marked a modernized return of the Cinéma Vérité.

That gritty handheld "you are there" style has been translated into most war movies, even science fiction ones. That effect can be felt in BATTLESTAR GALACTICA, FIREFLY, STAR WARS II ATTACK OF THE CLONES, 24, BLACKHAWK DOWN (please, as if I can compete on that level), and more.

The "bleach bypass", the chemical process that created the stark color pallette has redefined how "period" films are viewed. Reducing color and giving it that near black & white grainy look as affected every movie since SVP's 1998 release.

Aside from the wonderfully impactful emotion that film generated, the style has made SAVING PRIVATE RYAN one of the most stylistically imitated films of the last 50 years.

I'm not a big fan of the movie, but I agree with Sonny. Also, don't forget the closed down shutter angle.

The Thin Red Line is probably one of the best "War" films ever, IMHO. Also, Full Metal Jacket.

Back