• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

screenplay Santa's Apperance

I am writing a Christmas fantasy movie, but I want my Santa to look different from the contemporary American depiction. Can I have him wear a green robe and have a brown beard without alienating my American audience?

I am writing a Christmas fantasy movie, but I want my Santa to look different from the contemporary American depiction. Can I have him wear a green robe and have a brown beard without alienating my American audience?

If you make him santas little brother that would totally work for me to have him in green without grey hair
It's like playing luigi in super mario brothers. the young brother stuck in green lol.

Last edited:
I suggest that this is a bad idea. The appearance of Santa Claus is well established: he's a fat guy with a white beard in a red suit. If you make him a skinny, clean-shaven guy in a green suit, nobody will get that he's Santa Claus. If you try to get around that by having people call him "Santa", you will pull the audience out of the movie. Is there a reason (in-universe) why he wouldn't look like the stereotypical depiction? Nobody holds the rights to that, so you have no worries on that score. Come to that, is there a reason he has to be Santa Claus at all? If not, he could look like anything you want.

I say, GO FOR IT if you feel it's best for the Story. Take a look at Netflix's Christmas Chronicles with Kurt Russell. Now of course, he's still pretty much wearing the same colors as the Santa we're all used to but he sure doesn't look like the Santa we're used to. I think if done correctly and polished as to WHY in exposition?

Certainly could work...

Last edited:
Back