• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Same character + decades later = different actor

When a character appears f.e. 50 years later, and therefore a different actor will play him, should we capitalize his name again and write his new age again?

I'd say don't capitalize.

I'm not too sure on this, but if your script makes it quite clear that there is a 50 year jump, then it should be obvious to a reader that the character will be 50 years older, and that they will look as such. Noting their age may not be necessary. Perhaps a new description may serve you better?

Yeah, fully capitalize it, preceded by OLD, ELDERLY, MIDDLE-AGED, etc.

That would only really work if we were talking about a quick "flash-forward" scene. The OP doesn't specify, but what if we're only with the young version of the character for five or ten minutes, before we skip 50 years ahead? Surely YOUNG BOB and BOB would be more suitable (as opposed to BOB and OLD BOB). That way we don't have a character called OLD BOB for the majority of the screenplay.

Some clarification on this could be useful, Panos.

Three characters, two parents, 30, and one son, 7 , appear young only in the two first pages. Then they appear 10 years older in the rest of the script.

In my opinion, the parents can be played by the same actor with different make-up, hair, clothing, etc. The kid certainly (as I'm sure you realize) has to be played by 2 different actors.

I know, my question is whether I should capitalize the older son, or how should I write that he is older now. What format is proper for Hollywood?

Why did you use and example of 50 years, when that's quite wildly different to the 10 years you were actually asking about?

Now that we know we're talking about the difference between 7 and 17, and that the character is 7 for only 2 pages, I would possibly write the character as YOUNG BOB and BOB. I'd probably only do that if the character had dialogue though. Otherwise, I'd stick with just capitalizing once and perhaps include a new description for TEENAGE BOB.

No offense intended to Jaise, but at this point in his career he is
not as "strong" a user as I am. As he points out in his first post
he overwrites. As a character ages it is still the same character so
there is no need to introduce that character again with uppercase.

All uppercase is only used when introducing the character. I suppose
OLD BOB would be fine, but not necessary in this situation.

Thank you directorik. I was thinking like this, I just had some concerns about whether I should help the production team (in my dreams...) since the actor will be different. But I get it thanks!

Back