• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Sales Agent for scripts?

Friends an year ago i read about sales agents who deal with selling scripts just like filmmakers utilize services of sales agents. i wanted to know is it true? actually it wasa simple article with no contact details or even any link from where i could have searched more.Please tell me is it true?

Friends an year ago i read about sales agents who deal with selling scripts just like filmmakers utilize services of sales agents. i wanted to know is it true? actually it wasa simple article with no contact details or even any link from where i could have searched more.Please tell me is it true?

It is true, though getting an agent to represent you is not easy.

Here is a link as an example to the WGAW signatory agents/agencies: http://www.wga.org/agency/agencylist.asp#top

thanks a lot.can you tell me what precautions should i take while sending him a script?
it is not amovie that can be time coded or any thing else?
secondly i want to know what is the difference between script and screenplay?i tried to search a lot but couldnt get the right answer...

Regards

secondly i want to know what is the difference between script and screenplay?i tried to search a lot but couldnt get the right answer...

Regards

Script is a general term, screeplay is more specific. Screenplay; for the screen. Teleplay; for TV. Both are scripts.

An agent is more interested in a career writer, not a one-time deal. Sending out unsolicited material is not recommended. Send a query letter with a self addressed stamped envelope (SASE). Introduce yourself, your story, and your career goals. You may even include a few sample pages. Don't include a treatment or a detailed synopsis. Some will tell you otherwise on this, but the chances of getting the script in their hands go down the more story details you reveal up front - I mean, who wants to know the ending of a movie before they've seen it? Market it to them, pitch it to them in your query letter. If they're interested in reading your script, they'll tell you. Most of what you'll receive are rejection letters. And those who read your script will want to know what else you have since the chances of a first-time writer with a first script getting an agent is slim to none (been there, done that).

Before sending your query letter, you might even consider a cold call. I did this with every agency I queried. Secretaries and receptionists are the gate keepers and are your best friends when trying to get your foot in the door. Sending a letter "to whom it may concern" is bad form. Talk to a receptionist (or whoever happens to answer the phone), ask if they're accepting new material from new writers, and ask for a name. Address that person by name in your query. If you do happen to get an agent on the phone (rare, but it did happen to me a few times), be polite, very respectful, and be sure to thank him or her for their time both on the phone and again in your query letter.

I ran this gauntlet several years ago and learned mostly what not to do, but I did get my script read by several agencies and did get some positive responses to my writing style. Of course, they passed on the story, but it opened my eyes and my ambition. Make certain you study your craft intensely and have more than one script ready before approaching an agent. I won't make this mistake again.

Last edited:
An agent is more interested in a career writer, not a one-time deal. Sending out unsolicited material is not recommended. Send a query letter with a self addressed stamped envelope (SASE). Introduce yourself, your story, and your career goals. You may even include a few sample pages. Don't include a treatment or a detailed synopsis. Some will tell you otherwise on this, but the chances of getting the script in their hands go down the more story details you reveal up front - I mean, who wants to know the ending of a movie before they've seen it? Market it to them, pitch it to them in your query letter. If they're interested in reading your script, they'll tell you. Most of what you'll receive are rejection letters. And those who read your script will want to know what else you have since the chances of a first-time writer with a first script getting an agent is slim to none (been there, done that).

Before sending your query letter, you might even consider a cold call. I did this with every agency I queried. Secretaries and receptionists are the gate keepers and are your best friends when trying to get your foot in the door. Sending a letter "to whom it may concern" is bad form. Talk to a receptionist (or whoever happens to answer the phone), ask if they're accepting new material from new writers, and ask for a name. Address that person by name in your query. If you do happen to get an agent on the phone (rare, but it did happen to me a few times), be polite, very respectful, and be sure to thank him or her for their time both on the phone and again in your query letter.

I ran this gauntlet several years ago and learned mostly what not to do, but I did get my script read by several agencies and did get some positive responses to my writing style. Of course, they passed on the story, but it opened my eyes and my ambition. Make certain you study your craft intensely and have more than one script ready before approaching an agent. I won't make this mistake again.

Solid advice!

filmy

well thanks a lot vpturner for guiding me about the details.well but i am living in pakistan so i can only contact them via email.will it be an issue? as you said

You may even include a few sample pages
so you mean when i have finished the script from that i should just take some pages and send to the agent?

well can you explain this thing in a little more details please as you said

who wants to know the ending of a movie before they've seen it? Market it to them, pitch it to them in your query letter. If they're interested in reading your script, they'll tell you

and thanks for the advise that i should have more than one script ready at the time of contatcing them........

Regards

i just want to know from you because i want to make it clear that what i have understood is correct or not.....and tell me please as you said " market it to them" can you tell that too please?

Marketing is too broad a topic to cover here. There are multiple books available, and I do not have time to write you a novel. Besides, Clive is the best one to talk to about marketing since that's his profession.

Are you familiar with the art of "The Pitch"? You should research this. What books do you own? Do you have access to a library? Have you read any books on screenwriting and the business of it? I have several. If you are serious about being a screenwriter, you should also have several.

E-mail without having a name of someone is just as bad as sending a written letter "to whom it may concern". You need to do your research before "spamming" them. And there are first-time writers in Los Angeles who couldn't get an agent (I was one of them), so with you in Pakistan, it is that much more important to come across as professional. If you are anything but professional in appearance, no agent will give you the time of day. Time is money. They must see dollar signs in you and your potential or you won't get their time.

Sell yourself to them. Your story is secondary. At best, it may just become a writing sample like my first script will become after another rewrite (and after I finish the one I started a couple of months ago - still researching on that one).

Your best bet for breaking into movies is Bollywood, not Hollywood, given your geographic location. India is right next door to you. I'd start there. Once you make a name for yourself there, then you'll have a better chance of breaking into Hollywood.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.VPturner can you tell me the last thing as you said
If you are anything but professional in appearance, no agent will give you the time of day
well this thing made me confused.if i am not having a pro appearence how can they take interest in me?
you mean to say we should not act as a professional in front of them? you said
They must see dollar signs in you and your potential or you won't get their time
well i thought a professional appearence make clients(sales agents) more attarctive towards scriptwriter(me)

your suggestion about Bollywood is right.infact i have found a partner too in INDIA who is interested in writing 2 scripts with me one for bollywood and one for hollywood
Regards

Appearance refers to every way you present yourself, including phone conversations and writing, not just looks. You want to avoid anything that screams "amateur". Your image is much deeper than your looks.

can i know few more things please?whats the share of sales agent in scriptwriter's earning? 35% ? like a sales agent take 35 % from film producers?o rthe percentage share is more low?

secondly how can we keep our script safe from the sale sgent?i mean while sending amovie we can take precautions like sending a time coded movie .but how can we make our script safe from getting stolen by sales agents? even they can cheat by calling our script their's

Here in the States legitimate agents take between 10 and 15 percent.

First: agents aren't in the business to steal from writers so you don't
really need to keep your script safe from them. As long as you send
your copyrighted script to legit agents, your script will be safe.

You make sure an agent is legit by checking up on them. The WGA
website is a great place to check. Any agent that want to charge ANY
money up front isn't legit.

thanks directorik.just one more question. will we have to pay the sales agent ina dvance?or is it possible that he can directly cut fee from the payments which scriptwriter will recieve?

Regards

thanks directorik.just one more question. will we have to pay the sales agent ina dvance?or is it possible that he can directly cut fee from the payments which scriptwriter will recieve?

Regards

They take a cut after the sale. This is why they will not represent you unless they see $$$ in your story and/or your potential.

If an agent asks for money up front they are NOT legit.

As Vince said, that's why it's very difficult for a writer to get an agent. One
very important thing to remember is agents only earn money if they sell
the script. It's a business and their livelihood.

A writer with one script isn't going to be as desirable a client as a writer with
several scripts - no matter how good it is. One of the first things an agent is
going to ask is, "What else do you have?" If you have a couple of great ideas,
that isn't going to be as impressive as pulling out five, really good finished scripts.

Back