SAG & Unemployment Compensation

Hello All-

I completed post on a SAG ULB film 2 months ago. Production was completed in September of 2014. After a 6 week vacation I returned to the US to find mail from the Pennsylvania Department of Labor & Industry. One of the actors put in an unemployment claim.

I can request for relief from paying these unemployment charges. My actor was W2ed and paid by me/the film (the employer), via a payroll service, and with checks distributed through SAG.

My question: has anyone come across this before? Does anyone know what I should write in my request for relief from charges? Any guidance at all is much appreciated.

Thanks!

You probably already have done this, but I would contact your payroll company. They will have information for you.

W-2 actors can, depending on eligibility, file for unemployment.

Thanks for the reply. It's been one of those situations: accountant says to contact payroll. Payroll says SAG will have the info I need. SAG refers me back to payroll. So no answers from anyone there.

Every state has its own laws regarding unemployment. You will have to contact the state to see if they made a determination on the status of your company. If they determine that you should have been paying into the fund and didn't, there could be penalties.

Not sure what PA's rules are, but here in NY the payroll service is the Employer of Record. I've had actors file for unemployment and was never even contacted by the state. It was the payroll service that dealt with it. If NY State had contacted me I would have told them to contact the payroll company as they are Employer of Record.

Back