SAG question

We're starting to shoot our next feature next Friday the 15th of April. This was going to be non-union but we just got word that the actor we wanted to play the one of lead is interested in the part. While this is all very exciting for us, I have a few concerns.
1. Do we still have time to make this a SAG feature?
2. Is he obligated to go through SAG?
3. Any other SAG concerns that anybody can think of.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Just got the news so my mind is still spinning, so i appoligize for anything that does not make sense here.

Thanks!
Rafael Blanco
Frances F Films.

Well first off --- You'll need insurance -- that will be about $4,000 (that's for thirty days), and SAG only takes certain entertainment insurance companies -- Second, you will need to know that they will charge you a deposit, it could be as much as 125% of your payroll They won't tell you the amount of the bond until it's the very last thing ---if you use the Ultra Low budget agreement that is a $100 a day. If your actor works 10 days You will need $1000 plus 15.3% in P&H, so $1153 salary for that actor plus $1250 for the deposit, so you will need to budget for $2403 for those ten days. If you do all the paper work right you will get the deposit back.

So if you don't have insurance with one of the major entertainment companiies you'll will need to get it to use SAG actors. $6403 to use that actor for 10 days. That's really $640 a day if you don't have insurance.

All these numbers are based on our experience and they could be different higher or lower.

If your still interested call SAG.

We just got set up with SAG, see my ealier post

Last edited:
1. Do we still have time to make this a SAG feature?

With just one week, probably not. Almost certainly not if you've never been through the process before.

2. Is he obligated to go through SAG?

In theory, yes. There's no shortage of those who're quite happy to get whatever they can, regardless of SAG-status. Just kinda look the other way, and forget to mention it to their agent.

3. Any other SAG concerns that anybody can think of.

By using a lo/no-budget agreement, you agree to defer pay - not eliminate/reduce it. If you end up selling the film, the actors have to get paid the balance of what would have been normal. There are also other stipulations & demands in there, too. It's not unreasonable overall, really, but you'd be surprised at how many people don't read the details.

Btw, the paperwork that needs to be done daily is horrendous, for a first-timer.

Is he obligated to go through SAG? Yes. But that's his worry. Not yours. SAG doesn't go after people unless someone reports them. That's how they find out. Usually it takes someone who has had some success, then SAG wants to make an example of them by fining them. Some SAG actors want to be credited by their usual SAG name, some use a different name and some want to be uncredited. Make sure and indicate how they are to be credited on the release form.

Back