• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Running - A short film by Anthony Martin

Hi guys this is my short film that I made for a year 12 assignment. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qPFGfh82qEE&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qPFGfh82qEE&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPFGfh82qEE

Tell me what you think! (Constructive criticism is even good to help me improve for next time.)

I have nothing to say except it's good.
The editing has a good tempo and intense enough.
I didn't notice anything wrong except that at 2:25 is there a cameraman shadow on the character?

The editing is slick and the film has better than average production values. It's not tough to see the hardwork that you've put in.

I have two issues with the film though. The voice-over in the beginning doesn't feel god, nor is it smartly written. Second, the guy coming to kill ur protagonist kills himself, and not him. What logic does that hold? It wasn't unexpected either... Cliche'd is the right word.

In conclusion, your screenplay ain't that great. But, what stands out is the cinematography and editing, which makes it watchable for 5 minutes.

wow good spot I didnt even see that, thanks
clear.gif

Hey, SameerJha thanks. So what you saying is I pretty much need to get a better script next time but the film and editing techniques are on the right track? If so I agree Im a pretty dodgy script writer and that definitely is the films or my weakness. Thanks a lot for your opinion.

I don't get it is aduhot1 meant to be making fun of me by copying exactly what I said?

its really good don't get me wrong, a lot better than average for your age...

the story is a little off, needs more to be gripped too, i didn't really get into it... it has good tension to it though.
i didn't really hear clearly what anyone said... maybe recording what they said and just over laying in post.

nice foley, it was good you had a sound recordist, and your editing was smooth.
your lighting was too unrealistic however i suggest maybe using more than one light to light your scenes.

and last thing being picky is that the titles at the end made it seem amateurish, maybe if you had spent some time visually telling that, it would have made it almost perfect.

anyway apart from that you seem to have a lot of talent... i hope you do well :)

Thanks AshtonNew.

AshtonNew: Your lighting was too unrealistic

This was my first film with lighting and I don't know much about it. It sort of just put the lights in a sport wherever to make it look cool. However I'm pretty sure I was once told (and as you just said) that you should light a room realistically and not just have light from coming under the stairs for example. So does this mean I should place the lights behind windows and raise them to the roof?

AshtonNew: i suggest maybe using more than one light to light your scenes.

Or is this a better solution to the problem. Since post production is my stronger area.

I thought it was pretty good. Not as gripping as it should be, or meant to be I suppose...but definitely has some cool stuff going on.

I wasn't a fan of the blur titles...they can be cool, but these were a little low-rent...perhaps it was the font, or size of the font.

The short was a bit wishy-washy...not really provoking, nor was it a bore.

Good work. I can tell a lot went into this...keep 'em coming.

* PS. I don't think that was a camera shadow at 2:25....that was the actor's knee shadow.

Back