Rookie Question.

Hello,

I am a month or so away from being done with my script. I want to register it, and make sure I cover my butt legally, etc. I want to be able to enter into contests, and feel free to send it to as many people as possible. Can someone let me know the steps to take? I would certainly appreciate it!

Thanks!
Brian

Do we have any experts that can weigh in on this? I was always under the impression that it was pretty much necessary to get one's scripts WGA-registered.

Technically, it's copyrighted the moment you expose it to anyone.

Surely on the title page your program allows you to place "Copyright © 2011".

Special keyboard character: © = ALT + 0169

Submit it to public screenplay competitions and festivals and you've got instant proof someone else was exposed to it creating an electronic time stamped paper trail complete with email acknowledgement of receipt.

GL.

Seeing how this your first rodeo are you going to let someone proof the first few pages before you invest more time in completing it across the next month?
These things take a fair bit of time (LOL! It's surprisingly absurd how much time it takes, really).
It'd be a shame to find out you'll need to substantially re-edit it for improper overall format, bad slugs, ellipses when you should be using double dashes, unfilmables, novelly writing, OTN dialog, etc.
Basic stuff.

Back