Ripping VHS to digital issues

Hi all, first post here. Seems like an incredible place.

So I'm trying to rip these old VHS tapes with Uleadvideostudio. I bought this adaptor that comes with the software and has the standard 3 connectors (white,red,yellow) and it goes to USB at the other end.

I started the caption and pressed play on my VHS player. It rendered a complete (and enormous) AVI file, but the playback is erratic. I get a few images, but they are very far apart of each other and in between there are just frames of complete black. The colors seem messed up at times too.

Now, I'm guessing that I got some setting wrong when rendering my file, but I'm not too sure of what it could be? I come from an audio background and I know next to nothing about video.

Thanks!

Bump

Just wanted to give a warning for those that might want to try to extract video content using the Easycap - Composite to USB adapters.

I found out after a bit of research that mine was a fake. Apparently, tons of those on the market are replica coming out of some chinese factory. The ones that are legit are supposed to be labeled "Ezcap" (the original name of the company was easycap, but they were later forced to change name because of the counterfeit ones) mine is labeled "Easiercap". No wonder it didn't work eh.

There are apparently drivers that work for the fake ones, but I can't be arsed to find and install them just to end with crappy conversion. I ordered a Samsung DVD-R instead. Slightly pissed I wasted all this time though.. at least I learned some nice things in this thread.

Peace

Back