• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Revenge of the Vampire (short script)

Revenge of the Vampire: 3RD DRAFT

Revenge of the Vampire

The third draft is attached in a new response to this thread.

A tale of a Vampire's revenge against a man of faith who betrayed her. A different approach to the Vampire in terms of mythology.

The concept behind this is classic Hammer style horror. This story isn't set in modern day. At the moment in this first draft there is violence but it isn't overly gory. I would hope to find a filmmaker who is a fan of the Hammer horror films that starred Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee.

I would be working on this not only as a Screenwriter but also a Producer. This is to ensure that people who share a vision of a film in the style of Hammer horror films are involved on the project as this is the time period that the story will always be set in.

Last edited:
3rd Draft

Here is the third draft. Hopefully have fixed some issues that others had picked up on. Thank you for your feedback and look forward to more :)

Attachments

• REVENGE OF THE VAMPIRE - 3rd Draft.pdf
    14.6 KB · Views: 301
Here is the third draft. Hopefully have fixed some issues that others had picked up on. Thank you for your feedback and look forward to more :)

Interesting changes in this one, but I still think it suffers from the same problem. If the preacher is a man of faith then he is very quick to abandon that faith. A religious person would be familar with themes of temporal suffering, the illusion of the material, repentance and so on, and I think the character would be better drawn coming at it from this angle. The line "I did once. Not any more" I find particularly weak.

I also don't like the idea that the preacher believes Christ has provided him with the weapons. Were they delivered by DHL :P? But you know what I mean: you're trying to make out that faith in the weapons is central to the preacher, and that his faith hinges on the fact that they work. Why does he expect this? The only way he can be certain is if he has seen them work previously and, by the sound of it, all he has witnessed from them is failure. Otherwise it comes back to faith, and the default position of most religious people when something that depends on faith fails to work is to worry about the strength of their own faith and work harder to become more pious.

From a religious perspective, the existence of evil in the world and that fact that it frequently prevails is not a denial of the existence of god and the need for faith, but the exact opposite.

I'm struggling to place this. I'm picturing a rural area, with the house being more of a farm-house. I'm also assuming this is set in the past, perhaps early 1900's. Am I wrong? Is this meant to be present day?

You still use the word purchases for the items the guy takes with him. Has he bought them? Has money changed hands? I don't think the idea of this preacher 'funding' his mission is a good one. I feel this would work better if the preacher was just that, a Godly man who wants to help those in need and rid the world of vampires.

The rules surrounding vampires are well established. No reason that you can't break them all, but why not use them to build suspense? Thanks to shows like "True Blood", we all know that you have to invite a vampire in to your home before they can enter. Thats what your viewers would be expecting. That's not true in your world, so how about having your vampire present herself as a woman in need, and drag that charade out a little, until revealing herself to be a vampire?

And as for the preacher renouncing God... If he doesn't believe in God, why does he shout to the heavens, talking to a God he doesn't believe in? If this were my story, I'd cut that line, then when the vampire asks "Do you believe in God?", my Preacher would reply "Yes. And if I ever meet him, I'll be sure to tear his throat out".

Not sure what else to say. This isn't too bad, just needs some tweaking.

Best of luck!

Maz,

I see what you mean. It's kinda like how quickly it seems Anakin in Revenge of the Sith turns to the Dark Side. Perhaps after he feeds for the first time he just leaves and wanders. Then years later when he's been a vampire for a while he is approached by the vampire that turned him, and the script would end the way it does now.

That's fair enough about your thoughts on the line "I did once. Not any more." The use of that line is kind of my reference to Deacon Frost in Blade when after he becomes the blood god he's addressed by his name and he replies, "Not any more." Lol but that's more like a personal thing, and if people who like Blade remember that line, they might think of it as a reference to that. But in seriousness, the reason why I put those lines in there is because the female vampire says it to him, and then when he sees her at the end he basically repeats that line back to her, as a way to say that he now is in agreement with her view.

I think I may have come up with a way to explain how he thinks he knows that the weapons work when in actuality they don't.

I must say I've been tempted to use the classic line somewhere in this story, "God works in mysterious ways" as it's a generic answer to everything that religion cannot answer as they don't have a reasonable explanation.

mad_hatter,

What you're picturing is spot on. I thought of a small house that has been there for some time but is showing signs of wear. In the first two drafts I had the Preacher listening to a recording of a person reciting passages from the bible but I took it out because I felt that would confuse people as to whether or not such technology would have existed back then. The time period is in the past.

Thanks for picking up on the word purchases! That's a remnant of the fact I originally had the Preacher selling these things before changing it to him just having them there for those who come to him and need them to take them and use. If he ran out I don't know what he would do lol but yeah I took out the selling angle. Will fix that up in the next draft.

Okay I understand where you're coming from. I agree that it would probably be better to drag out a charade a little to have people wonder where it's going with the myths and whether all of them are incorrect in the world of this story.

Thanks for pointing that out too. Will attend to that in the next draft.

No problem at all, thanks very much for your feedback, and yours as well Maz, it's appreciated.

Maz,

I see what you mean. It's kinda like how quickly it seems Anakin in Revenge of the Sith turns to the Dark Side. Perhaps after he feeds for the first time he just leaves and wanders. Then years later when he's been a vampire for a while he is approached by the vampire that turned him, and the script would end the way it does now.

That's fair enough about your thoughts on the line "I did once. Not any more." The use of that line is kind of my reference to Deacon Frost in Blade when after he becomes the blood god he's addressed by his name and he replies, "Not any more." Lol but that's more like a personal thing, and if people who like Blade remember that line, they might think of it as a reference to that. But in seriousness, the reason why I put those lines in there is because the female vampire says it to him, and then when he sees her at the end he basically repeats that line back to her, as a way to say that he now is in agreement with her view.

I think I may have come up with a way to explain how he thinks he knows that the weapons work when in actuality they don't.

I must say I've been tempted to use the classic line somewhere in this story, "God works in mysterious ways" as it's a generic answer to everything that religion cannot answer as they don't have a reasonable explanation.

I would say that Rule One of my big book of screenwriting is probably Don't Base Anything on the Star Wars Prequels :P

Having a greater period of time would help, and it might actually look pretty cool, seeing a montage of this miserable 19th century preacher turning up in 1960s Paris or London for the millennium or whatever.

If he thinks he knows the weapons work, then he's even less a "liar". Personally, I think the idea of testing his faith works even without the weapons. But a big part of the Christian story is suffering and redemption, and that is what the preacher would fall back on (assuming he keeps his same personality even after he changes).

I have to say (and please don't take this the wrong way) but I get the impression that you're making the same mistake a lot of 'militant' atheists make with regard to religion: they confuse the argument against monolithic, organised religion with attacking religious people. Many organised religions are corrupt or dangerous, but most sincerely religious "little people" are the nicest you could meet. The preacher here is the closest you get to a protaganist, and he appears to be a sincere, humble man who lives to help other people. But his story is unremittingly grim, and it appears the story is trying to say he deserves his suffering somehow because he has faith. It doesn't make for a very satisfying story, because who does the audience have to root for?

There are some good ideas here, but I can think of more satisfying ways to progress and end the story. It would maybe need to be feature length to explore the themes properly.

Last edited:
Lol base them on the originals instead ;)

He should see things on his journey that show different sides of what's going on. So far all we have is what happened where the Preacher resides. There is no indication of how many vampires there are or how widespread they are.

The funny thing is I am more of a spiritualist. I've gone from being born and raised as a catholic to adopting protestant viewpoints, then went to adopt more of an Agnostic view, after that became an Atheist and now I believe in the Universe as a higher power whose energy we can tap into because that same energy is within us.

But my intention with this story is to cater to the Atheist demographic. I want to write stories that cater to certain segments of society without necessarily having to share the views of that society myself.

I agree that the most sincerely religious "little people" are the nicest you could meet. I have met people from both extremes - from an Protestant Evangelist to someone who believes in God but doesn't try to push their beliefs on everyone else, as well as meeting die hard Atheists too.

I guess the Preacher's suffering is deserved from the point of view of the female vampire that turns him. Even though it's not rational for her to blame the Preacher, his faith and the God he believes in, she feels he deserves it because in her mind she was mislead.

Something that I didn't intend while writing this script but I've picked up on is when the Preacher is saying that if you believe in God these will work against the vampire - maybe it does depend on whether the person using these items really believes and has faith, whereas those who don't will find it doesn't work.

After all the Preacher never uses any of these items against the vampire himself. Maybe if he were to use them, having complete faith, they would have an effect. It could be argued that if this were the case then why when he attempts suicide does his faith not make the stake effective? I would answer that by saying he is in a very different state of mind when attempting suicide. He is coming off of being in a state of uncontrollable rage brought on by blood lust so the stake wouldn't have any effect even if belief in God was strong.

What you're asking though about who does the audience have to root for, is a good question and I guess it depends on the individual views of the audience. If you look at certain horror films there's a certain percentage of viewers who identify more with the antagonists and want them to succeed and the protagonist to fail.

Awesome discussion by the way Maz :D

...my intention with this story is to cater to the Atheist demographic...

When reading the script, I never once felt any of the religious undertones you may have intended to imply...

To me, this is a vampire story, not a religious one. The religious aspects only seem to come from the fact that you have a religious character. It almost feels irrelevant. I don't think this type of story would appeal to any religious demographic. Unless all horror fans are atheist? And perhaps we are.

This to me is entertainment, not something to fuel an Atheists beliefs. But don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with that. :yes:

He should see things on his journey that show different sides of what's going on. So far all we have is what happened where the Preacher resides. There is no indication of how many vampires there are or how widespread they are.

I agree, there is a lot that can be done in this universe you've created. Are the vampires concentrated in one area? Are there hundreds, thousands, millions? Why have they suddenly become a problem for the preacher and his community? Are they strengthening, growing in numbers? Or have they become more powerful?

Although I said before that the idea that noone knows how to kill a vampire except a vampire is a good one, it can't be absolute (having a completely indestructable, unvanquishable antagonist or even protagonist does not make for good drama). But the secret could be very hard to find.

But my intention with this story is to cater to the Atheist demographic. I want to write stories that cater to certain segments of society without necessarily having to share the views of that society myself.

I'd say this is a shame. Stories should (IMO) be universal. Even if you don't agree with something, every story should be human enough that you can appreciate and empathise with the characters and their struggles. This script seems to be doing little more than cheerleading that section of militant atheists who are unable to make a distinction between good people and bad religion, and who want to see religious people suffer just because they're religious. It's far too black and white, and the idea that you've deliberately made it so is quite troubling!

I guess the Preacher's suffering is deserved from the point of view of the female vampire that turns him. Even though it's not rational for her to blame the Preacher, his faith and the God he believes in, she feels he deserves it because in her mind she was mislead.

From the female vampire's perspective perhaps, but her actions and their totally irrational basis don't encourage audience empathy, and so it's difficult to imagine how that perspective would be uppermost in an audience's mind.

Something that I didn't intend while writing this script but I've picked up on is when the Preacher is saying that if you believe in God these will work against the vampire - maybe it does depend on whether the person using these items really believes and has faith, whereas those who don't will find it doesn't work.

After all the Preacher never uses any of these items against the vampire himself. Maybe if he were to use them, having complete faith, they would have an effect. It could be argued that if this were the case then why when he attempts suicide does his faith not make the stake effective? I would answer that by saying he is in a very different state of mind when attempting suicide. He is coming off of being in a state of uncontrollable rage brought on by blood lust so the stake wouldn't have any effect even if belief in God was strong.

I still think the weapons are a red herring. At best, a preacher would say something like "surround yourself with that which is holy, and pray to God, that they may offer you some protection", but the only way he'd ever say something with the certainty he expresses in the script is if they have been demonstrated to work, numerous times, in something that isn't a Hammer horror film :) There is a principle in the most authentic sources of the Muslim faith, for example, which is "have faith in God, but tie up your camel". The spiritual must go hand in hand with the practical, and unless the 'weapons' have been demonstrated to work, then they are not part of the practical solution to the problem.

What you're asking though about who does the audience have to root for, is a good question and I guess it depends on the individual views of the audience. If you look at certain horror films there's a certain percentage of viewers who identify more with the antagonists and want them to succeed and the protagonist to fail.

I agree, but in my experience that is usually when the protagonist is annoying or boring in some way, or when the antagonist is particularly interesting in some way. Here, the protagonist is a completely harmless, selfless, powerless, humble man, and the antagonist is an all-powerful, indestructible, invulnerable, malevolent, vindictive monster. Most audiences would go with the underdog in that scenario, I reckon!

Awesome discussion by the way Maz :D

It definitely has been :)

Last edited:
UPDATE:

I'm taking a break from this script just so I can come back to it soon with fresher eyes but the discussion about this script is giving me lots of good insights into different perspectives on some of the issues raised. This in turns helps me in finding out things I may have missed as well as some things I never thought of while coming up with this idea.

mad_hatter,

That needs to be worked for sure, thanks for that input I want to make sure that what I intend to imply is evident in the story. Aside from Atheist ideals, I would like to cater to an audience that appreciates vampires as they were popularized in the days before Twilight. I think there needs to be a balance and a reminder once in a while to audiences of the more classical ideas of a vampire. Even though I've abandoned all the myths associated with them in my story, it depicts (or I intend it to depict) the vampire as being a creature closer to the traditional depiction.

Where the need for blood is concerned while they are very violent beings the extreme exhibition of that violence is expressed when they haven't fed (or if they were just turned) for a certain period of time. In this state they have no control over their actions whereas those vampires who maintain a consistent and regular consumption of blood have greater control over their violent tendencies.

One thing I wanted to avoid, and a hint of it was in the first draft, is the idea of the female vampire (or vampires of both genders) seducing humans into becoming a vampire. In the world of this story vampires haven't existed for centuries. I'll get back to this when responding to Maz's questions related to vampires and their numbers etc.

I can see where you're coming from there. I guess when you boil it down to who the characters are you have the vampire, the terrified man and the Preacher. The vampire is the antagonist, the terrified man represents the fear humanity has against the vampire and the Preacher represents religion. If I want more religious aspects to come out I need to work on that aspect more.

As for all horror fans being Atheist? Lol well I wouldn't say that all Atheists are horror fans but I'd say a fair few are. I understand that you're not implying there's anything wrong with fueling an Atheist's beliefs :)

Maz,

I agree, there is a lot that can be done in this universe you've created. Are the vampires concentrated in one area? Are there hundreds, thousands, millions? Why have they suddenly become a problem for the preacher and his community? Are they strengthening, growing in numbers? Or have they become more powerful?

I've given thought to these questions over the past couple of days and I've come up with the answers, just need to put it into the story in some way:

As I mentioned as part of my response to mad_hatter, the vampires haven't been around for centuries, only a few years. This being set during the early years of vampirism I would say that the vampires are concentrated only in a couple of areas and these vampires are probably located in a larger community and a small number are branching out into smaller communities, the one in which the Preacher lives being one of those.

I would say that they want to migrate and turn more of the population so they will grow in numbers and become stronger and powerful as the years go by. The number of vampires at this stage would be under a hundred.

I agree about the secret being hard to find. It is the key to the survival of the human race. I think the key lies with the Preacher and his decisions - does he plot to undermine the other vampires and to expose the one thing that kills them to humanity so they can defend themselves, or does he fully succumb to being a vampire without any shred of empathy or sympathy towards humanity?

Quote:
I'd say this is a shame. Stories should (IMO) be universal. Even if you don't agree with something, every story should be human enough that you can appreciate and empathise with the characters and their struggles. This script seems to be doing little more than cheerleading that section of militant atheists who are unable to make a distinction between good people and bad religion, and who want to see religious people suffer just because they're religious. It's far too black and white, and the idea that you've deliberately made it so is quite troubling!

Perhaps herein lies the dilemma of finding a good balance for this story. I get what you're saying about cheerleading that section of militant Atheists. Perhaps I am being too black and white with this, gives me something to think about. I'm not sure if I explained myself properly about my goal to "write stories that cater to certain segments of society without necessarily having to share the views of that society myself" but I intended it to mean that I want to be able to write a story that appeals to any particular segment of a population on a demographic by demographic basis, without needing to share the views of that demographic. I hope that makes more sense worded that way, cause it's what I truly meant by what I had said previously.

The female vampire's perspective do not encourage empathy from the audience, I agree. What I would like to express with her is that she is like people who blame others for experiences or circumstances that were completely unforeseen or unexpected by that person but they see that person as being the one at fault regardless of their inability to have any control over a negative experience. Again I think all this comes down to execution and this is something perhaps I need to work more on.

The weapons are kind of insignificant really in terms of effectiveness against vampires but they have significance for the Preacher though but maybe this needs to be explored or explained in some way a bit more so we can see why he feels so strongly that these weapons will work and in this could show the weapons working from the Preacher's perspective in a prior event but he only saw what he wanted to see, which was a vampire being weakened by holy water or the crucifix and being destroyed by a stake.

That can be true too that it's usually when the protagonist is annoying or boring in some way etc. And you're right about this protagonist being harmless, powerless etc, he is a very weak character. It comes back to getting a balance of the character's motives, feelings and ultimately how they are presented when I find the final draft of the story :)

This is one of the reasons I love it here on IT, when discussions arise without falling into personal attacks as some internet discussions can be like :)

Back