• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Resuming creative writing.../film concept

Hi all.

It's been a long time since I've logged in to this forum, in fact it must be around four years?!

Anyway, a while back I had three concepts for films and started writing out scripts etc. and for numerous reasons I ended up putting them all to one side.

Years later, reflecting on these concepts, one of them seems awfully similar to something that aired on TV between then and now, another was a true story based on my own experiences as a teenager and as it's quite emotional and dramatic, I feel at this time it's best not to continue writing that one, and the third would more suit a big budget production, rather than an indie production...

This leads me to the point of this post...

I'm thinking about using my creative writing skills for something worthwhile.

As pathetic as it may sound, I've spent the better part of the last decade writing for what's known as an "e-fed"; (an online wrestling roleplay game). Wrestling was a big interest of mine in my teens and although I hardly watch it now, I still do occasionally. I'm "renowned" in those circles for my attention to detail with scene descriptions and what not, and also presentation and dialogue, which has led me to believe I should put these apparent creative writing "skills" to better use.

Now, I'm well aware that writing scenes for a fictional wrestling television show and describing how a wrestling match may be televised is a far cry from writing screenplays and scripts for real world TV and film, I feel I can use some if not all the skills I've developed in this area for such a venture.

I'm unsure as to how I should present any writings I do attempt, as I have a certain way of writing but I'm willing to bet it's not the way screenplays should be professionally presented. I'm also unsure as to whether a script and a screenplay are the same thing or not?

I am somewhat of an actor but I've only done live performances, and as such have been handed "scripts" only, so that's where my confusion starts!

None the less, I have a concept for an emotive drama I'd like to explore with anyone who is interested.
I'm interested in writing this film and creating the soundtrack for it (as I'm a music producer by trade).
I'm no director however as a writer I feel I should be able to express my intentions to whomever the director becomes in order to get the perfect shot. I am also happy to play a role in this film, but would not want to be one of the main cast nor am I that eager to do so, but if casting is an issue I am available to perform.

Now, on to the concept itself. I'll try not to ramble on too much here:

I'd like to tell the story of a young man whom decides at an early age that all he wants out of life is to become a father and to raise his children the right way.

The film would essentially follow this young man as he goes through the stages of life, and progresses in his quest to become the "perfect" father. The film should highlight the modern day struggles young families and parents go through, especially in tough economic times.

I'd like to see the father split with the mother of the children and the mother take the kids away from him for some reason (Keeping in mind the father must always try to do the right thing, so perhaps the mother has some issues? Also that law dictates that in most cases the mother is awarded custody of the children outright when splitting with her partner).

The father should do whatever it takes to get to see his children again and regain custody - perhaps even patch things up with the mother? At this point, however, the kids should have grown into teens and having been without a father for a time, feel they don't need a father and act as though they cannot remember the good times they shared with him at a young age. The father must do his best to remind the kids of how things used to be and convince them it could be like that once again.

Later on, the kids will have become adults and the father will have grown old. The film should document the last stretch of the father's life, having brought his family back together and seen his children grow up and become better parents than he could've hoped to be. Once the father is at peace, the film should end with the father's death.

I've no idea how to write a proper premise so perhaps someone could help me with that, but the gist of the film is there in the above description. I should probably note that I'm in the UK; Years ago when I was first on this forum it appeared to only be open to UK residents but I've noticed many of our stateside friends on the forum too, so I just wanted to point that out.

Would anybody be interested in helping to bring this film to life? And if so, would anybody be interested in explaining to me how to set out my screenplay/script in terms of presentation? What content should I include in my writing?

I usually describe the entire setting (ie - are there any posters on the wall? what colour is the wall? are the curtains drawn back? is the room dark and dingy? if so, is there a smell? is the air thick?) I usually consider all these factors and include them in my writing before any actions, dialogue or narrative. Is this right? Or is this the director's job?

I can see this film being extremely low budget (but there would clearly be a rather sizeable cast) and I envision it being presented much like a documentary (minus any interviews. I am undecided as to whether or not there will be narrative).

Would anybody be interested in this?

The standard procedure for a scene is the dialogue should be about five lines and the dialogue eually so. That is what I have been told .
It would be also be nice if yur man is a wrestler , as you love wrestling .You can show that his friend got hurt and his wife want to stop,but he loves the sport very much . She therefore divorces and takes her children .
It is nice for the script to be visual ,but you need not give minute descriptions .
As yu are a musical producer you can write a musical film ? This is just my suggestion .
padma

Let's say I somehow had the means to "bring this concept to life," and you had 10 seconds to pitch it to me as I was walking by to climb into my Porsche Carrera GT.

And I say, "Mr. White, what's your film ABOUT?"

You've got one sentence and 10 seconds to make me excited about the concept.

Go...

Let's say I somehow had the means to "bring this concept to life," and you had 10 seconds to pitch it to me as I was walking by to climb into my Porsche Carrera GT.

And I say, "Mr. White, what's your film ABOUT?"

You've got one sentence and 10 seconds to make me excited about the concept.

Go...

That's good advice. Not only is it practical (the people who can make your movie want it pitched in this way), but it is also really necessary to write a good script.

I like to think of a logline like a thesis statement. Remember in English 101, how the teacher would make you figure out 1 sentence that will describe what the entire essay is about? A movie needs the same kind of concise focus.

Back