• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Research...

Hi guys, a few more silly questions..!

In my script, the main character works in the NYPD.
The only parts in my script where that fact is actually shown happen in the late 50's-60's.

It's not one of the MAIN things in the film and yet, those little details such as certain laws, jobs, boroughs and the actual process of how he got in should be mentioned. And yet, living in Israel it's a bit hard to obtain such information about NYPD activity during those years.

I'm going to the library tomorrow to do some more research (after searching all over the net) but kinda doubt I'll actually find all that information.

Any tips? I can get around it, not give out certain details but I'm afraid it may seem 'lacking'. Do any of you ever have problems with researching certain things?

This site MAY help.
You may also be able to ask them questions via email.
If this is a film you are making, you can credit them as a Technical Advisor.

One of the ways I do research when I can't find what I need in books is to perform a Google search for PDF and DOC files. I'd say that most of the time, you'll find more RELEVANT information when you perform specific searches like this...

Just click these links to see what I mean:

NYPD PDFS

NYPD DOCS

You probably won't find what you need in one document or pdf but if you go through enough of the results, you can often piece together what you need.

Also play around with the search terms when you're looking for something specific... The two searches above are simply for: NYPD

Good luck!

filmy

Thanks for all the tips guys!

I only just got back to work after 3 months of play and I'm tired 24/7 and basically not in the mood. I have Saturday off so hopefully the tips from 'getting into writing mood' will help me out with getting into research mood as well...

FJ, never thought about searching PDFs. Hard work but sounds very good. Thanks!

Back