• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

dialogue Repeating Parentheticals?

I'm indicating where a characters voice is coming from and I want to know, do I need to keep repeating on every bit of dialog? Is it acceptable to provide this parenthetical on the first bit of dialog and then not mention again unless the situation changes? Here an example:

CHARACTER A
(via suit radio)
I'm in a space suit talking through the radio!

CHARACTER B
(via comms)
I'm talking through the ship's general communications system!

CHARACTER C
Why are the two of you yelling?

CHARACTER A
(via suit radio)
I'm not wearing the earpiece so I can't hear you!

In the deathless sequence above, is the bolded parenthetical needed or do I need to repeat the parentheticals throughout the scene?

TIA

That's a good question. Based on current screenwriting styles, I think that IF it's clear that that's what's going on through the scene, you don't need to write it each time within the same scene. But if the same characters in the same locations recur later, you need to re-establish it.

Let's see if someone else here has a different perspective :)

Instead of "cover scene from both locations," which sounds to me too much like directing from within the script, I'd go with "intercut." Then one full slug line for each location. You should still specify once that each person is speaking into their phone.

INT. Jenny's Kitchen - Morning

JENNY
(into phone)
Hi Mom! Are you coming for dinner tonight?

EXT. Mom's Garden - Morning
MOM
(into phone)
I don't know! What are you making?

INTERCUT JENNY/MOM

JENNY
Pot roast?

MOM
I'm there!

Last edited:
Instead of "cover scene from both locations," which sounds to me too much like directing from within the script, I'd go with "intercut." Then one full slug line for each location. You should still specify once that each person is speaking into their phone.
Yes. I see your point. Directing from within the script. That's a good way to put it.

Off subject, but in Tommy Weiseau's script for The Room, there was a phone conversation between Lisa and her mother, Claudette. Each was at their respective homes. It is reported that Lisa calls her mother on the phone, they have their phone conversation then Lisa walks her mother to the door and says good bye... Tommy had some people help him solve these minor time/space issues.

Yes. I see your point. Directing from within the script. That's a good way to put it.

Off subject, but in Tommy Weiseau's script for The Room, there was a phone conversation between Lisa and her mother, Claudette. Each was at their respective homes. It is reported that Lisa calls her mother on the phone, they have their phone conversation then Lisa walks her mother to the door and says good bye... Tommy had some people help him solve these minor time/space issues.
I was particularly impressed with Tommy's decision to shoot on film and digital at the same time.

Back