Renting a professional film camera

Hey people! For a ten-day shoot we were offered some really good deals on camera rentals via via. However, I have kinda lost the overview recently. I've been a long time lurker on these forums and figured you might have some advice! Just assume all rental prices are somewhat similar. We are talking just the body: we'll be outfitting them with Zeiss Prime lenses. Also we're filming in a controlled environment: it's not like I need the versatility of a documentary maker. I want the 'best' image on set.

- The Blackmagic 4K
It was my first pick, however right now we just don't have the option to shoot 4K when it comes to storage space, rendering power etc. Still seems to be a very good option to shoot 1080p on.

-The Blackmagic 2.5K.
Cheaper and handles dynamic range and noise better than its 4k follow up I've heard. Is this true? The only thing I'm worried about is the significant crop when compared to the 4k. Might just be fixable by getting one 14mm lens instead of 18.

- The Sony PMW - F3
I literally don't know with this one. It's retail price is three times as expensive as the BlackMagics, but we're able to get it for a similar price. However more expensive is of course not always better. I could not find any meaningful comparisons with the BlackMagics, does anyone know if this camera is a must-buy?

Also: if you feel like there's a great camera in this class I'm forgetting about please also say so! Thanks in advance!

Welcome to indietalk.

The only person who should answer this question is your DP. We all have
our personal preferences so you'll get answers that reflect that. All three
are fine cameras. Any of them will be a great tool in the hands of your DP.
The "best" image in not in the camera body - it's in the lens and the skill
of the DP.

When you say "we" do I make the correct assumption that "we" also include
the DP? Does your DP not have a preference? If he does what is the camera
he would prefer to use?

Okay, that's not what you want. You want a complete stranger to tell you
their personal preference; if I were shooing your movie I would use the Sony.

Hey Ik! Thanks for your quick reply:

Let me rephrase that. Asking as someone who has lost the overview a little bit, why would you choose the Sony? In what regard is it different from the BlackMagics?

What is your current rental budget? As Directorik stated, it really should be a decision of your DP unless you are the DP then I'd go with what you are comfortable using. I'd rather shoot on a RED Epic with the new Dragon sensor than the three listed here but that's just personal preference. Out of the three you've listed, since you're in a controlled environment, I'd go with the Sony PMW F3 but that's mainly because I have more experience with that.

This is another "how long is a piece of string?" question.

piece-of-string.jpg

There is no "better."

A professional choosing gear first sees what is available at the project's budget level, then picks from that list the gear most suited to the project with which the equipment operator is most comfortable. The "best" quality - from a technical standpoint - is the skill with which the equipment is used.

Question... Is your situation that those are the only three cameras to choose from at the special rate?

Oh, I'm going to presume to answer for directorik... He would choose the Sony because it is probably the camera with which he would be most comfortable..

Or else he's just yanking your chain....

What is your postproduction infrastructure like?
On what system do you edit (CPU, GPU, RAM?)
What filesizes can you handle?
What is your plan for grading?
How much diskspace and in what setup do you have it? (Raid 0,1,5,10, no Raid?)
How quickly do you have to edit it?

Hey Ik! Thanks for your quick reply:

Let me rephrase that. Asking as someone who has lost the overview a little bit, why would you choose the Sony? In what regard is it different from the BlackMagics?
For me as a director an editor and an occasional DP I am not much
of a "tech head". I couldn't do a tech-by-tech specification comparison
for you. You can do that on line.

As a DP I always choose the camera I am most comfortable using.
Of the cameras you mention I am most comfortable using the Sony.
It's more personal then technical. The BlackMagic is a fine camera.
I can get an excellent image with both.

Are you the DP? What camera does your DP want to use?

Back