Rendering Settings for GH2

So I settled for a GH2... I had a few questions for anyone with expertise...

I'm recording on HD 24p... what's the best format to record in? RAW? Also, what's the best way to get the videos from the camera to the PC? And rendering settings for the highest quality video?

Does anyone have information on any of these topics? Thank you!

Canon T2i

I'm recording on HD 24p... what's the best format to record in? RAW? Also, what's the best way to get the videos from the camera to the PC? And rendering settings for the highest quality video?

Does anyone have information on any of these topics? Thank you!

I shoot Sorrow The Movie with a Canon t2i 24p 1080 best way to record is MOV. shutter speed 50 ISO 100

Last edited by a moderator:

Does anyone have information on any of these topics? Thank you![/QUOTE

First thing, your GH2 will not record motion/video in RAW -- oh how I wish it would, but it won't.
For the highest bitrate/image quality, set you GH2 to 24pH.

For importing? slide the SD card in to a flash card reader and copy it to a hard drive.

Render settings depend on your medium of delivery.

Thanks for the responses.

What do you mean by MOV? I will try those settings though thank you...

Brianluce- thanks... I guess that's what I meant, and I do use the card reader to hard drive, but the format isn't being recognized by my editing programs...

Also, the medium would be youtube and vimeo, etc

Last edited:
Which version of Adobe Premiere are you using?
CS5/5.5 seems to support (almost?) any videoformat.

About settings on your camera:
RAW is only an option for stills. There you can choose RAW or jpg.
For video there is probably 1 setting only and if there are more settings: choose the highest quality and resolution.
BTW, framerate is not meant to be a quality-parameter, but a setting defined by your finished product.
If is has to end up on DVD or TV in the NTSC-region: 30 fps is preferred. (24p is possible with 3-2 pulldown, but that is a lot of techno-blabla).
For the PAL-region 25 fps is the way to go.
24 fps is the framerate of celluloid and therefor used as part of the filmlook.
(And the way video gets compressed per second, 24 fps produces the best imagequality (in theory) ).

The highest quality rendersetting would be uncompressed Avi (on PC). But this will produce files of around 10GB per minute. Not really a filesize suitable to upload to YouTube or Vimeo.
I do export uncompressed and then I use Quicktime Pro to render the files to H.264 mov-files to upload to YouTube. In my experience this creates a better quality movie than exporting it straight from Premiere Pro. (But it takes more time to render.)

Besides that I have 3 advices:
- read the manual (which should have anwsered the RAW-question)
- browse and read the forum: there is a lot of information to be found here (but don't be afraid to ask new things)
- have fun!

Last edited:
I usually shoot on my GH2 in 24 H (in the motion picture menu, rec quality, choices are 24L and 24H) but be warned, shooting in 24H with make the avchd files harder to work with if your computer is just above average like mine (Intel core 2 duo 2.10ghz, 4gbram, Nvidia geforce 8400M GT) so what tend to do for now is in sony vegas 10, i convert all my files to MP4 or MP2 (MP4 better) and the files become waaaay small, easier to deal with and still carrys around 99.5 percent of the original quality as far as i can tell.

Last edited:
All the information definitely helps... I'm pretty confident now on everything except the file format ... from my camera it saves in .mts (.m2ts) and the only program that recognizes it is the one that panasonic gave me...

and should I stick with the 24p 24H mode? Thank you everyone.

Last edited:
Back