• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Rendering After Effects for Youtube

Hey everyone,

Im having massive problems when rendering my footage. Its either really good quality & to big file size for youtube or its bad quality & really small file size. I dont know much about render settings. I have adobe after effects cs5.5 and i tend to render out in F4V files as its what i seem to get the best results for.

However i film on a canon 550d and i always notice the quality drop alot. I understand it will always drop a little but not to this extent. My eyes may be fooling me but here is my last upload.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TWz96ZgJZU&list=UUqHoE9AZ_e7wauKF4MQ54pQ&index=1&feature=plcp

Is the quality okay for a 550d?

Any advice for any plugins or render settings would be great.

Cheers

I tend to export an animation (100% quality) quicktime as my master. If i dont care too much about having a master and just want some sort of back up ill render out a jpeg quicktime. From here ill go to adobe media encoder (or as suggested you could do this in handbrake) and convert to a H.264 as its better than a flash, there are tutorials about for the best settings for the H.264.

yeah use handbrake, looks better then adobe h264. i too render animation from ae.
Handbrake is easy to use.. it has lots of settings but I only play with the quality "Avg Bitrate"
2 pass encode..

Depending on quality desired, I adjust the avg bitrate from 5000, to 10000.

Sometimes, Ill use the max file size.. which is good for quick uploads..

I use QuickTime Pro to encoded my uncompressed renders to H.264.
It takes longer than Adobe, but the image quality and control over the settings is much better.

(Never used Handbrake.)

When exporting for youtube from AE I start with the h.264 youtube hd preset then tweak from there.

If I'm really wanting to play with compression setting I export uncompressed mov then tweak in either quicktime pro or adobe media encoder depending on the final destination for the video.

Back