Rehearsing

I know in the theatre world directors and cast rehearse for weeks, if not months before opening night. How much rehearsal usually get done before shooting a film? On set or off? Who else might be there, dop, etc. to help with their own preparations?

Thanks for any insight as I prepare to make my first no budget short.

Tom

It depends on the director and the actors. Regardless your actors should show up knowing their lines and hopefully having rehearsed their performance or having thought it out.

Some directors like to rehearse for weeks or just a little or not at all. Mike Nichols is known for doing weeks of rehearsals (at least for The Graduate) and he has said that that's where a lot of the best moments in the film were born. I personally am of the rehearsal school of thought.

I wish I could think of an example right now of a director who doesn't rehearse, but here's a great article on the subject I just found on google.

http://preproduction.4filmmaking.com/rehearsing-actors.html

Hope that helps, and see ya around :)

It depends on whether you're paying the actors as well. It's hard to ask them to come in for days or weeks of rehearsing if there's no pay.
I like to walk through the scene a few times the day of and get the blocking down so that there's no confusion. However, I've never had the luxury of paid actors. If I did, I'm not sure I would do it much different because the performance is fresh.

I think I said the same thing in the other thread. Minimum of 3. 1. Table Read, 2. Blocking rehearsal, 3. Camera rehearsal. It's on the forms they sign at the audition (that they must be available for these). I tell them it's no pay for rehearsal, but if they show up and take it seriously, they get half rate.

Back