Recording time for 32GB cards in a T4i?

Looking for real world times on record length and battery life for a T4i. I'm doing a 3-5 hour seminar and have to have the camera rolling the whole time. I just ordered a battery/grip unit and a couple 32GB Sony class 10's. Does anyone know how long each card might last? And typically how long a battery will last with and without the LCD showing? Thanks in advance..

your going to have to keep pressing record after 12 minutes, you should have enough for a 5 hour shoot, but with one battery your really pushing it, why didnt you buy cheap chinese ones? i have 4 chinese ones and they will last me the whole day

For the T4i, I think it's 29 minute segments with auto restart... They were the cheapest ones on Amazon, $20 ea. I also have 3 batteries and ordered 2 more. Just wanting to time the card/battery changes so I know when to flag the mobile camera guy over to record while I swap out, otherwise he floats around getting audience shots and alternate angles of the speaker.

Also, even if your limit is 30 minutes it's good to play it safe and stop/start (with cover obviously) as often as possible. We do live event with 12-minute length DSLRs all the time and usually cover every 5-7 minutes.

Watch the battery too. If it runs out in the middle of a take, you'll lose the take! Another argument for shorter stop/starts. If the battery dies 29 minutes into a take you'll lose it all. Losing 5 minutes because of that still sucks, but not as bad!

Thanks Paul. It's a 2 hour live seminar with pre and post event coverage, so I gotta run at minimum 2 hours of non-stop. I then have to edit the individual segments separately so will problly try to follow that schedule for battery and memory swaps.

t4i has a limit of just over 29 minutes / 4gig, so this depends on what resolution you shoot at. For instance 1080p is in the 320-330mb/min range so that'll let you shoot for about 12 to 13 minutes at a time.

Lower the resolution and you can get it shooting towards the 29 minute limit. There is no way with a t4i to shoot for 2 hours.

If you need to shoot continuously for 2 hours, you'll need a different camera.

Watch the battery too. If it runs out in the middle of a take, you'll lose the take! Another argument for shorter stop/starts. If the battery dies 29 minutes into a take you'll lose it all. Losing 5 minutes because of that still sucks, but not as bad!

Is that specific to the t4i? I've had the 5DmkII battery die while recording and it's never lost the take.

t4i has a limit of just over 29 minutes / 4gig, so this depends on what resolution you shoot at. For instance 1080p is in the 320-330mb/min range so that'll let you shoot for about 12 to 13 minutes at a time.

Lower the resolution and you can get it shooting towards the 29 minute limit. There is no way with a t4i to shoot for 2 hours.

If you need to shoot continuously for 2 hours, you'll need a different camera.

Thanks Sweetie. I don't need to have non-stop footage, just want to make sure the transitions line up with battery and memory swaps. Should be a very small pause between segments where I can use the 2nd camera to capture the speakers moving to their next topic while I swap out. I just want to make sure I have enough batteries and cards to make the full 2 hours plus an hour of before and after activities. Is the 4GB the max recording it will do before it makes a new clip? I should just run the thing through a couple batteries and cards to find out for sure, just thought I'd ask around first.

Back