Recording dialogue in moving car

Hello,

how should I do this?

4 actors in the car that is moving and a dialogue scene.

4 actors that all are speaking and I would like to capture the whole scene from start to finish without cuts (without moving cameras or mics)

I have zoom h1, Rode video Mic pro and of course new items can be bought if needed.

Yes, I was thinking this kind of option as well.

I wonder what kind of mixer it needs to be, many cheaper lavaliers seems to have 3.5mm jack and some mixers I found don't seem that that connection.

You could just use 3.5 mm splitters to combine two lavs into one. Then you could just use a couple of Zoom H1s to record the audio (one for front seat, one for back.) Or then use another splitter and combine those two into one. Then you could record all four lavs with your Zoom H1.

But it would be better to have four separate signals, allowing you to control the level of each. Because inevitably, you're gonna have a low talker and a loud talker on the same signal, and it would be a pain trying to resolve that.

You could just use 3.5 mm splitters to combine two lavs into one.

A sonic nightmare in the making. Ever hear of combing or phase cancellation? Those are only two of the potential problems.

Lavs may indeed be the solution, either on the talent of used as hidden mics. The problems with recording production sound in a moving vehicle is extremely limited space and the restricted mobility that goes with it, and, of course, the noise of the vehicle.

The problem with lavs and/or plant mics is the talent is constantly shifting the position of their head so the sound pick-up becomes inconsistent - on-mic, off-mic at various weird angles.

Yes this is not a easy task to do. One option would just record ambient sounds and then go to studio later on and hope for best that the ADR match.

Then rest of the movie could be recorded on-location except those incar dialogues.

What if you shoot the scene without the car, moving and just shoot it from angles where you would not see the windows in the background. This way, the engine does not have to be on, and the car does not have to drive. But I guess there are only two shots you can do without seeing any windows though, which are frontal close ups, so that limits your options too.

Ok,

we did test this with my actor. I think two mics and recorders are needed.

I used stereo-mic and zoom h1 recored. It was taped in the middle of the car and I drove about 60km/h.

In the rear sounds are good, in the front not so much. So I think the best would have two mics and recorders, one in the front and one in the rear. They should be placed quite low, so they dont show up in camera.

yes that might be a good one, one recorder and two mics. I was actually suprized, how good the audio quality was and how little noise there is in the background from the car.

Back