Recommended car mount

Matthews $500: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/751519-REG/Matthews_415168_PRO_Mount_Car_Mounting.html
Film Tools $380, no case: http://www.filmtools.com/filmtools-3025-plus-triangulation-kit.html

cinemasupplies_2150_241640955

cinemasupplies_2150_241598344

I want something multipurpose and solid, but inexpensive as possible. Using a 5D.
Which one would you choose?
Any other recommendations?

I could do that if the camera car was a junker or something. I'm not willing to put duct tape on my car.

Edit, okay, maybe you are serious...

(photo removed by admin, copyright violation)

Last edited:
That's why we evolved brains. No need to put the adhesive-side of duct-tape in contact with either your car or your camera. Resourcefullness is all you need.

I tell you this not to be a smartass. I've tried an inexpensive car camera-mount (the sticky-pod, it is very widely-used). I ended up reverting to duct-tape, for better stability.

I can't say for sure, but I'd be willing to bet that the only car-mount better than a jerry-rigged duct-tape is expensive as shit. If I had lots of money, I'd take it, but without lots of money -- duct tape.

i have to say i have seen some stupid things done in this business but that one tops them all.............

I once saw someone turn on a Blonde while looking into it, temporarily blind themself, trip over the stand and almost take out a camera and operator, but I'm inclined to agreeā€¦

please tell me you are not considering gaffa taping a camera to a car.

just because it worked does
not mean it is a good idea.

good film making means planning for a worst case scenario.

imagine if you will the gaffa coming unstuck at speed, you now
have a camera hanging by the video lead bouncing at great force into a fender that is worth more than you make in two years...........

oh well the insurance will cover it..........damm we couldnt afford insurance........................

Can you post a pic or explain better how this is done?

Well, I wasn't really considering the kind of shot you've got a pic posted of. If you needed that, then I think a stickypod is an inexpensive option worth considering.

When you first posted the query, I was thinking of shots of people inside a car talking. In that situation, I've used both the stickypod, and I've duct-taped my camera to my side-view mirror. The duct-tape option proved a more stable shot, and was perfectly safe. That shit is strong. Both the car and the camera had a towel in-between them and the duct-tape. This kept sticky duct-tape residue off of my nice stuff, and was actually very necessary for positioning the camera.

I use the $100 Filmtools version. The 4" cup with the small articulating arm.

Here we actually used two additional small cups to triangulate it, but I have used it solo as well.

IMG_2799.jpg

We shot 90% of the car interiors with this same suction cup rig on the inside of the windshield.

Back