• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

really really dumb question

I'm sorry guys, this is normally the kind of (incredibly basic) question that i'd try to figure out with the magic of google, but i'm just an teensy bit sleep-deprived and google has seemingly transformed into a flock of oscillating butterflies...

if i'm trying to do a quick and dirty "make the audio levels of very disparate clips similar" for a project in final cut, is there a tool for this?

Thanks!!

not sure if this is exactly what you mean, but click the little "mountain" on the bottom left under the timeline (keyframes), a line will show up in your audio track that will allow you to easily adjust the layers. let me know if you need more, I've done a lot of audio in final cut but I wasn't totally sure what you were asking.

yeah using the "mountain tool" to adjust the levels works...
i just started using FCP but using the fade tool under audio effects works pretty well for me...
you just drag it ontop of the space between the two audio clips in the timeline and it automatically adjusts the levels so that they fade into eachother. you can also adjust how long the fade lasts if you right click.

are you talking about the crossfade? I like to use a 3 frame crossfade between pretty much every audio clip but I would still suggest adjusting the overall levels of each clip if they are vastly different. The 3 frame crossfade is a good trick to get rid of pops and blips from shifting audio. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks of it as a mountain :)

hehe yeah i meant the 3 frame crossfade...
i have to be careful with it sometimes because occasionally the fade will contain a noise that was not intended to be in the clip

Back