• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Rea looking smoke needed

Hopefully I am ok posting this here.

I have tried to make smoke in AE myself but looked like crap. Hoping I can find someone who might me interested. No budget really but I can try and come up with something if I need be. This is a 18+ minute short about the VA so military related and any money we might see is slated to be donated to an apartment in Shreveport LA, that houses only Military Veterans. Was shot on Epic so the base reselution is 5k.

NeedSmoke.PNG

You'll need to be more specific about what kind of smoke you're needing, and what the smoke is related to in the film. Where is the smoke coming from? How much is there? Exterior or interior?

you can always pay for some stock footage of smoke, then screen blend it over the clip. not exactly a hi-tech way to do it, but it's fast and looks pretty good.

That's usually perfectly fine for distant explosions or smoke, and is often what most people will do unless they know how to generate it in Maya, Cinema4D, or Blender.

But if they need smoke billowing around characters much closer to the camera, or people running through clouds of dust, then it has to be handled either on set with real smoke or fog of some kind, or they have to get someone who can generate realistic smoke in some digital manner while using rough (invisible) models of actors that can affect the smoke being generated.

That's usually perfectly fine for distant explosions or smoke, and is often what most people will do unless they know how to generate it in Maya, Cinema4D, or Blender.

But if they need smoke billowing around characters much closer to the camera, or people running through clouds of dust, then it has to be handled either on set with real smoke or fog of some kind, or they have to get someone who can generate realistic smoke in some digital manner while using rough (invisible) models of actors that can affect the smoke being generated.

Ah, good to know!

If it is steam you are after for that pie, you might try creating some steam with a jug, or boiling pot, in front of say a very well lit greenscreen?

Not sure how well that would work but my point is that it might be a case of going back to physical effects rather then virtual.

You could always go with the unthinkable... actually create real smoke. >GASP!<

Honestly one of the easier practical effects for us indies to conjure and command.

Fitty cent smoke bombs are miraculous. You can toss one in a stove to create the perfect inept wife/husband prepping a 3-alarm dinner... or you can light one and let it almost burn out and then tuck it behind a plate for a steaming meal. Keep rolling until it burns out and then grab the segment of footage where the smoke is the appropriate desired amount.

Dry ice can work too if you ride your lighting.

It is the pizza that I need to smoke. He pulls from oven and holds it a few seconds while on phone then tosses in trash.

If it is steam you are after for that pie, you might try creating some steam with a jug, or boiling pot, in front of say a very well lit greenscreen?

Not sure how well that would work but my point is that it might be a case of going back to physical effects rather then virtual.

I may try that steam on green this weekend.

You could always go with the unthinkable... actually create real smoke. >GASP!<

Honestly one of the easier practical effects for us indies to conjure and command.

Fitty cent smoke bombs are miraculous. You can toss one in a stove to create the perfect inept wife/husband prepping a 3-alarm dinner... or you can light one and let it almost burn out and then tuck it behind a plate for a steaming meal. Keep rolling until it burns out and then grab the segment of footage where the smoke is the appropriate desired amount.

Dry ice can work too if you ride your lighting.

Tried using insense against black. Did not work for me. Can't reshoot this for a multitude of reasons. Have to composite.

LOL!

To expand a bit more on my commentary we found we needed to use far more smoke than we ever thought to show up on camera in the smaller amount we envisioned. I've got a whole disaster story about a very uncooperative smoking barrel.

It's funny how that works.

Actual rain doesn't show up very well either.
The rain machines produce a lot more rain than you get naturally.

It's funny how that works.

Actual rain doesn't show up very well either.
The rain machines produce a lot more rain than you get naturally.

Oh man this is so true. Had a drizzle come through set and fought my urge to cut. Can't even tell it's happening in post and got one of the winning takes.

Back