• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch RC Car video w/ slo mo

I got the chance to film some cool remote control cars so I went out and made a compilation video of all the cool shots I got!

This was shot on a Canon t3i/600D with both the 18-55mm and 55-250mm kit lenses. It was all shot at 50fps and where it is slowed down even more I manipulated it with TimeWarp, an After Effects plugin. Timewarp is harder to use than I originally expected it to be. There were so many shots that I tried to use it for but it always had all the crazy warp errors. There are one or two shots where you can see this anyway however in at least one of them if you don't know you're looking at an error you might just assume it was normal (the slow motion shot of the cars taking off)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdc6SqO3htU

-Brendan

Very nice.

That was some pretty nifty editing there.
Trying to maintain focus must've been a [expletive] nightmare at times, and I like the way you were able to move with the cars for some of the shots.

Your camera really likes the sunlight. Not so much the blue just-past-sundown light.

Last edited:
Glad you liked it Ray!

Maintaining focus was difficult. But there was so much footage that was immediately ditched because myself predicting the cars movement failed epicly or because my focus was out. I think I had close to, if not more, then an hour of footage gathered over about 3 nights of filming these guys racing.

Which is the reason for the blue shots. Most of them have little to do with the sun going down. In between two of the events I was playing around with the white balance and that is the main reason for the blue as for some really stupid reason I didn't think to check it out. Actually I may have thought of it but I didn't change it!:/

Steve sorry I didn't change the music! So many said yes, so many said no, but the ones who said yes thought it was absolutely perfect and so as I had edited about a quarter of the video already I didn't change it....

That shot isn't as fast as it looks. I just ran backwards with my tripod upside down (then flipped it in post) and held the tripod as smoothly as I could.

For the record there is no editing in this video besides the slow motion and I bumped the contrast slightly. There is no other CC or grade or stabilization etc

Last edited:
Cool shots. In some of the shots, where you didn't have anything else for perspective other than the cars and the dirt, it looked quite real. I bet if you edit just those shots together, you could make it look like a real race ;)

Thanks Cracker and Ernest!

It was actually inspired in part by a video Freddie Wong made last year where he did cut it in such a way that it did seem real. The difference was that he had pro controllers so he actually knew where the cars were likely to be when filming! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEROVWDp3n0

I've also discovered filming in the dirt is more difficult as I had to take more precautions with the camera so to not get too much dust on the lens.

Back