Rapist costume (funny)

So... I am thinking of a short film and need to throw in a male rape scene. However, I want it to be funny, so slo-mo, slightly sick, completely inappropriate music kinda way. The part I was thinking about was a rapist costume. The gimp costume has been done in Pulp so was working out what could work.

What tasteless, male rape costume could you think of and what would potentially make it 'funny' in a bad taste kinda way?

You mention the rape scene in Pulp Fiction, but that involves male/male rape with a HEAVY sex slave and SM theme. Even today, "bring out the gimp" will illicit chuckles from the audience (laughs because it's Ving Rhames and not us getting longpiped), whereas I can't think of any humorous male/female rape scene. Like Cracker Funk says, it would be easier if we knew the details. But even in Pulp Fiction, the ACT of rape isn't funny, but some of the contributing aspects of the scene are. I've picked up piles of charred hamburger out of airplane crashes that minutes before were fathers and sons, and laughed. It's gallows humor, and it's how we survive the worst of things. If you approach the scene that way, it might be easier to get away with the concept of rape. But it's not going to be easy.

If you want my opinion on the scene itself? It sounds like a bad idea. Just 'throwing in' a rape scene seems a little 'I can't think of anything else, this'll get a reaction'.

But who am I?

Who are you? You're someone who believes I'd just throw in a rape scene because I can't think of anything else just to get a reaction. Thanks, appreciate your faith in my abilities.

Nothing to do with this being an essential element in the story.

Last edited:
Statistically, you are much, much more likely to be sexually assaulted than murdered, especially if you're a woman.

Again statistically, you are much, much less likely to be convicted for sexual assault than you are for murder.

Murder, in its most basic representation, isn't about structural violence. This is why you can get away with random killings in comedies, and it doesn't matter, but what comedy shows murder that's the product of domestic abuse? If you're a woman, that's by far the most likely way that you'll be murdered. In fact, what comedy shows violence against women at all? They don't, because good intelligent comedy (like good intelligent anything) should recognise that the issue isn't anywhere near being resolved and joking about it simply perpetuates it. A joke about murder doesn't make people take murder any less seriously; a joke about rape does exactly that.

Really? So what does that have to do with male rape?

And besides which, if I showed everything that wasn't offensive or scary, I wouldn't have had my last short played in Toronto or the one before that played in the London Independent Film Fest. I like to push boundaries and saying 'don't do it,' is the easy way out but I have a vision and a dream of where I want to go, far from the norm.

The vision is a tough one but a place I believe is worth going to. I might be delusional, I may not have the skills and talent to get there but I'm going to try because this comes from the heart. This is something I don't see and didn't see growing up but is a part of popular culture that surrounds us and is part of our DNA in our inner cities.

This is an integral part of the short which is putting a fundamental piece of my belief system on the screen. You're never going to like it but then again, you'll end up making a living sitting in the mainstream whereas I want to make my money pushing the boundaries.

Last edited:
(Had a discussion with H44 on another board a while ago about his rapist story and his IMO warped view on it... is male rape a new trend?)

Oh christ no. Seeing some one mentioned Deliverance, easily the most popular, a bunch of classics come to mind off cuff... Lawrence of Arabia, Midnight Cowboy, Myra Breckinridge, Killing Zoe.

And while everyone is quick to note Pulp Fiction let's not forget Major Marquis' cringe worthy monologue in The Hateful Eight.

Also an older but pertinent video:

https://youtu.be/fjIuPSuYSOY

As one of the women regularly on this board , I'll just say (1) I think it's unlikely that any woman will find a rape scene funny and yes it's likely to be seen as offensive but (2) it's absolutely your right to include it if it's your vision of the movie.

As one of the women regularly on this board , I'll just say (1) I think it's unlikely that any woman will find a rape scene funny and yes it's likely to be seen as offensive but (2) it's absolutely your right to include it if it's your vision of the movie.

Yes. This, exactly.

Earlier, I referenced how Tarantino was able to find some humor in rape. But that was revenge-rape of a man. So, first of all, getting medieval was revenge, and who doesn't enjoy fantasizing about revenge every now and then? But more importantly, the person who was threatened was a man.

Men don't live in fear of being raped. We don't live in fear of violence from the other gender. I'm not saying women walk around afraid all the time, but this is definitely a thing that women have to deal with on a near constant basis. Or, at least that's the best I can understand it, as it's been explained to me.

My point being, I just can't comprehend any way in which any scene involving rape of a woman could be even slightly humorous.

That being said, just as Mara pointed out above, you gotta stick to your vision of the movie. Unless, of course, anyone working with you introduces you to a better alternate idea.

In Antihero, I can think of one scene in particular, where many people who critiqued my script told me that the scene didn't belong and I needed to figure out some way to convey the same information. They made really logical arguments. In many other ways, my script revisions were very heavily influenced by the critiques of those close to me. But in this one regard, I felt like they just didn't get it. They just didn't see what was in my head.

I stuck to my guns and I'm glad I did. It turned out to be one of the better scenes in the movie.

So yes, you do you. Make the movie you see in your head. Don't make movies to please others. Make the movie that you would enjoy watching, and cross your fingers that other people might share your interests.

the writer concerns himself with what he puts into the script
the communicator concerns himself with what other people get out of the script

or something like that. i read somewhere.

Who are you? You're someone who believes I'd just throw in a rape scene because I can't think of anything else just to get a reaction. Thanks, appreciate your faith in my abilities.

Nothing to do with this being an essential element in the story.

Just going off the info presented. Like other people have said, you didn't provide much context and I'm not a mind reader.

I also said "I would say do what you like, but be prepared for the backlash. Would I shoot that? No. But I stand up for the right for people to make art how they see fit. " So if it's essential, go for it. Just be prepared for people to not like it.

So you know, that's who I am. ;)

It wasn't a slight on your ability.

From Rebecca Solnit's "Men Explain Things to Me":

"One of the compelling new phrases of our time is "rape culture". The term came into widespread circulation in late 2012 when sexual assaults in New Delhi, India, and Sterbenville, Ohio, became major news stories. As a particularly strongly worded definition puts it:

Rape culture is an environment in which rape is prevalent and in which sexual violence against women is normalized and excused in the media and popular culture. Rape culture is perpetuated through the use of misogynistic language, the objectification of women's bodies, and the glamorization of sexual violence, thereby creating a society that disregards women's rights and safety. Rape culture affects every woman. Most women and girls limit their behavior because of the existence of rape. Most women and girls live in fear of rape. Men, in general, do not. That's how rape functions as a powerful means by which the whole female population is held in a subordinate position to the whole male population, even though many men don't rape, and many women are never victims of rape."

George Carlin is probably not the best person to consult on questions about rape jokes because he's not affected by them. A lot of non-feminists like to point out that #NotAllMen are violent towards women, and yes that's true. But it is also true that #YesAllMen in America have been raised in a patriarchal society that conditions us to believe that the definition of manhood is one of control. What's more, millions of women have been trying to make it clear to us that #YesAllWomen feel the negative repercussions of the patriarchy in their daily lives.

I realize that we're not supposed to get political on IT, but I'd argue that my statements aren't so much political as they are humanistic, and definitely of value to the original question asked by the OP.

Smash the Patriarchy!

From Rebecca Solnit's "Men Explain Things to Me":

"One of the compelling new phrases of our time is "rape culture". The term came into widespread circulation in late 2012 when sexual assaults in New Delhi, India, and Sterbenville, Ohio, became major news stories. As a particularly strongly worded definition puts it:

Rape culture is an environment in which rape is prevalent and in which sexual violence against women is normalized and excused in the media and popular culture. Rape culture is perpetuated through the use of misogynistic language, the objectification of women's bodies, and the glamorization of sexual violence, thereby creating a society that disregards women's rights and safety. Rape culture affects every woman. Most women and girls limit their behavior because of the existence of rape. Most women and girls live in fear of rape. Men, in general, do not. That's how rape functions as a powerful means by which the whole female population is held in a subordinate position to the whole male population, even though many men don't rape, and many women are never victims of rape."

George Carlin is probably not the best person to consult on questions about rape jokes because he's not affected by them. A lot of non-feminists like to point out that #NotAllMen are violent towards women, and yes that's true. But it is also true that #YesAllMen in America have been raised in a patriarchal society that conditions us to believe that the definition of manhood is one of control. What's more, millions of women have been trying to make it clear to us that #YesAllWomen feel the negative repercussions of the patriarchy in their daily lives.

I realize that we're not supposed to get political on IT, but I'd argue that my statements aren't so much political as they are humanistic, and definitely of value to the original question asked by the OP.

Smash the Patriarchy!

Right on. Seriously.

Have you ever been on the Return of Kings website? Makes me weep for the species. Anyhoo, I'll hop off the political bandwagon before we all go too far down the rabbit hole.

Right on. Seriously.

Have you ever been on the Return of Kings website?

Blech! It's gross. I don't think we should be shy to talk about this stuff. The only way we can Smash the Patriarchy is by talking about it. And seeing as how men usually don't listen to women, it's the job of us men who "get it" to actively talk to each other.

Feminism is not a political bandwagon. Feminism is kinda the answer to everything, and I mean that.

Hell, even the issues that plague men can be answered by feminism --

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hc45-ptHMxo.

So yeah, maybe the OP should be careful how they craft their rape-joke.

Blech! It's gross. I don't think we should be shy to talk about this stuff. The only way we can Smash the Patriarchy is by talking about it. And seeing as how men usually don't listen to women, it's the job of us men who "get it" to actively talk to each other.

Feminism is not a political bandwagon. Feminism is kinda the answer to everything, and I mean that.

Hell, even the issues that plague men can be answered by feminism --

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hc45-ptHMxo.

So yeah, maybe the OP should be careful how they craft their rape-joke.

Oh no! I didn't mean FEMINISM is a bandwagon. I meant the one in this thread as I know we ain't suppose to get political.

There was a meetup in Manchester when I was filming and I saw hoards of dudes heading towards it. Its a shame that being a man has been pushed underground. Sacrasm in bold ;)

"So yeah, maybe the OP should be careful how they craft their rape-joke"

Thats what I was getting at too :)

Oh no! I didn't mean FEMINISM is a bandwagon. I meant the one in this thread as I know we ain't suppose to get political.

There was a meetup in Manchester when I was filming and I saw hoards of dudes heading towards it. Its a shame that being a man has been pushed underground. Sacrasm in bold ;)

"So yeah, maybe the OP should be careful how they craft their rape-joke"

Thats what I was getting at too :)

Understood. And I didn't mean to sound accusatory; I hope I didn't come across as such. :)

Back