Race and Film (I know I Know)

I know, I know..it's a tired conversation. But let me give an different perspective..

As a black director who’s at the bottom floor of Film production (meaning the budget of my productions is whatever I can come with after the income of 2 jobs minus rent, the cost of a daily meal and child support payments) I tend to wear the hat of marketing and advertising along with that as the writer when involved in a project. So I’m always mapping everything out even before I even type in Fade in:-I am widely aware of the low numbers of representation and(misrepresentation) of blacks in films in front of the Camera-with that being said should character development be influenced by getting more blacks in front of the screen or what makes sense for the overall success of the film? For example-I purposely wrote the woman lead in my current production as white for a reason as it makes sense with the story but my previous production-I was flip flopping between making the Romantic Interest White or Black because 70% of the cast were already Black and I was fearing the label of it being classified as a Black Film. I wanted to do a crowdsourcing campaign for it, and researching the success of other films done through kickstarter (By Non famous people with little to no following) and Indiegogo, etc. I didn’t find that many were of that nature. So I cast the character as a white woman, and the actress was great-so much that if I ever find the funds to finish up the film I would ask her back. I feel guilty because I do have the power to give that screen time to a woman of color that may only get asked to play certain parts-But if your aspirations are to reach that 25 mil to 50 mil budget (Antoine Fuqua status) and you’re trying to push what you’re doing to the eyes of the financiers it’s difficult to not feel anxiety about what “they” will classify your film as and who is your real “market”. have lived the so call “Black Experience”..But I will always choose Chris Nolan’s films over Malcolm Lees’. I have not seen any of Lee Daniels films (Well I did peep Shadowboxer something I like to forget), because that’s not the films I’m into..nor I want to produce. And As I peep the trailer for the “Perfect guy” where Sanaa Lathan (that’s “Bae”) is playing the same role she been typecast in-when she has the potential to match screen time with A list white actresses and her co star Michael Ealey got a round of applause from me each Monday as he played that Intelligent Serial Killer on the Following I wonder is it just these are really the Roles they are being offered, or is the only type of films they believe the black audience wants to see? Maybe it’s a little bit of truth-cause everyone is talking about Straight Outta Compton..But none of my black film peers uttered a peep about Southpaw when it came out-which was a pretty dope movie with a white lead...But directed by the same guy who directed Training Day..A black man..=)

https://vimeo.com/136134783

If you're trying to make sales for your film then first and foremost you have to be a businessman.

Hollywood doesn't have a bunch of white people because the studio heads are white. They have a bunch of white people because that is what the consumer market invests in the most, generally speaking.

For my films so far I haven't written race into any of the characters, but I'm just doing short films and I'm not trying to sell anything just yet.

It's nice to see a black film like straight outta compton do well.

Although I'm a white guy and I have a lot of fun asking my white friends what NWA stands for just to make them uncomfortable. :lol:

I've talked to some local black film makers before that have said it's difficult for them to get white people in their films. I thought that was interesting. I guess white people aren't used to being the minority and surrounded by all blacks.

I personally want my next film, and my future films to be diverse. And as long as I have a big enough pool of actors to choose from, I'll likely be able to do that.

In the case of my current film, though, every character is white, and not because I asked for them to be. I actually left it open for any actor of any race to come in for each of my characters, but the best people for the parts who were able to come in just happened to all be white. And I actually only had one Asian man and I believe about three Black women come in for two of my roles, and all of them just weren't the quality of performance that I was looking for. If they had been, I would have been glad to have them.

I think I realized a few years ago that one of the issues with casting one of my films can easily come during the scripting stage, because I usually start with all of my characters being white. And that also isn't because I'm specifically wanting them to be, I'm just far more familiar with white individuals, and so the script ends up being filled with white people at first. Only after I've written something have I considered changing the race of someone and seeing if that would really change anything about the character, their relationships with other characters, or story dynamics. And usually it doesn't.

I also used to think that if I wanted to put a Black person or a Latino person or an Asian person in one of my films, then it would require me to learn more about cultures related to those races in order to write the characters properly. But now I'm realizing that if my films just takes place in the US, which most likely they will, then I don't have to give people specific accents, I don't really have to change their speech patterns, and I don't have to know about traditional cultural heritages, unless a specific character is more closer to their homeland or family traditions than the rest of the cast.

In a lot of ways I think plenty of people from my generation, no matter what their race, basically just all act the same as long as they're all from the same general region. Same vernacular, same general interests, a lot of the same personal experiences, and so on. I could be wrong on this, but that's just what I've experienced and have seen with a lot of cartoons and sitcoms that have broad racial casts.

So if anybody does have hangups about writing black, asian, or latino characters in their films, don't worry about it. It's really not as difficult of an issue to deal with writing-wise, and it allows you to bring in actors of other racial descents who just might have more of what you're looking for for some of your characters than a white actor would.

In terms of film classification, I think even with one white actress, your film could still be seen as a black-centric movie. And while that shouldn't automatically mean anything negative (marketing-wise) depending on your premise and your plot, it does seem like most modern "all-black" films are usually rom-coms, dramas, or "wacky hijinks" comedies with not a lot to specifically get excited over. I imagine they don't get the best distribution either, because they're focused mostly at the Black American market. So if you want your film to go farther than that, it could be a little tricky.

But as long as your film is honest and has a good core idea behind it, I think because it's an Indie Production, it just might get a better reception and better support behind it than the more manufactured films that the Tyler Perry projects seem to be.

I wish you the best of luck, ~Poetrynmoshun. And please post a trailer here when you can. Would love to see it.

Last edited:
My hero(ine) in this area is Shonda Rhimes ("Scandal," "Grey's Anatomy") - she has said (and as someone who watches her shows I completely believe it) that she writes race-neutral characters and then casts them with the actors who best fit the role. I strive to do that in my screenplays and have had some success.

In "Detours," my feature that is finishing post-production, the main character's best friend is played by the wonderful Hispanic actress Vanessa Aspillaga (you can catch her currently on the Jim Gaffigan show - http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0039665/?ref_=nv_sr_1

In my first feature, I cast the outstanding African American actor J.D. Williams - best known as Bodie on The Wire http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0412907/?ref_=nv_sr_1 as the ex-boyfriend of the main character.

Both of those characters were written without a specified race/ethnicity.

Back