Quit Thinking and Just Do It.

I am awful at writing a script or an outline. Every time I write something down and show it to someone else, they just don't get it. Or worse, they don't like it. But a few times when I go out and film it anyway, they are blown away, they say things like "I didn't really like reading it, but the video is actually really good."

Here is my question. Why? Am I bad at writing out my vision? Am I making decent videos out of sub par scripts? Is this a technical issue, like I am not putting the right instruction into the script that would help someone that isn't me visualize the outcome?

Here is an example. I had wanted to make a lost in space type series for a while. I wrote out the first 3 episodes and showed it to a bunch of people. Nobody liked it, I couldn't get anybody to be interested enough to jump on board. I really wanted to make it, so I wrote a basic short form intro piece that would only require one actor. I convinced a film school kid to run the camera and we trekked out and filmed the whole thing in under an hour. What is crazy is how much people have actually enjoyed the 6 minute intro. It is my most viewed video and I have a bunch of people on board for finally bringing the full project to life. Here is the short.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLbVdwyFn8M

Last edited:
No one is going to believe in you. Most people can't even believe in themselves.

Who are the people that you've shown the scripts to? If they other writer/directors well.. idk what to say about that. If they're NOT those people.. well then maybe they don't know how to read and imagine a script.

I think if you are asking people to use their imagination you're going to be let down.
Even showing people a work in progress no one will get it most of the time*

All types Sfoster. Other writers, directors, filmmakers, friends and family. Every time I get the whole "I don't get it" or this is boring. Or why would he say something like that?

All types Sfoster. Other writers, directors, filmmakers, friends and family. Every time I get the whole "I don't get it" or this is boring. Or why would he say something like that?

Filmaking is a collaborative art. I think you should probably try your best to have meaningful conversations with the people who have taken the time to offer you constructive critiques. That's a gift they're giving you, perhaps you shouldn't overlook it.

I love criticism, constructive or otherwise. It only makes me better and helps me to improve. This post is not about not being able to take criticism, or about lack of conversation skill. This is about a disconnect between the difference between what's in my head and what's on the page. Things like dialogue don't seem to stand out on the page when I write, but then I'll actually make a video and everbody gets it.

Back