• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Questions the writer should be able to answer

What are some questions a writer should be able to answer about their characters? Aside from age and appearance, what is important to note for future reference? Like, the script I'm working on has a character at the start who is an older version of a character who comes into it later. I realised when I went back to the start that the older and younger versions of the same person talk quite differently, and there are things the older version refers to I can't imagine the younger version ending up with. If that makes any sense.
So I guess my question is, what do you guys like to know about your characters before you feel a sufficient amount of development has been done? What other techniques are useful for character development?
I guess the way they talk is important to keep consistent. Their family/upbringing, their attitudes, religion or beliefs, significant experiences that would lead to a particular opinion and so on.

I have an exercise book quickly filling up with notes and whatever else about this screenplay :D

Get CeltX: www.CeltX.com

It's free.

Not only will it help you format a screenplay, but help you track so much more.

From making clickable "notes" on the script itself, to detailing information on each character (and also actor!), to providing reports on who/what/where is needed in each scene (for actual production)... it's worth using.

Also a whole bunch more, but whatever - download CeltX & write one-page script. Then select a Character (that was automagically created from the test script you just made) and look at all the info fields available for just that one character. (And that's just for starters!)

Regardless - it doesn't matter if it's paper, books, binders, digital files, etc. You need a place to detail each character, and be able to access it when you need to.

Back