Questions about Distributions

I'm going to be making my first feature soon, however I'd like to get a few questions taken care of beforehand.

First of all, let me just start out by saying that I plan on distributing my film, probably something through New Video Group. I was wondering if I copyright my film beforehand, or if I just let the distributor do that for me.

Secondly, should I enter my film in a festival before distributing it, or after?

I probably have more questions which I can't think of right now, so I'll just post them as replies later on. Thanks.

You do not need to register the copyright of the film. Make sure the
script copyright is registered and you keep detailed records of every
aspect of the production.

In most cases a distributor will be more interested if your film has
been accepted into several festivals and even more if it wins awards.

Secondly, should I enter my film in a festival before distributing it, or after?

There's really no point in festivals if you've already got distribution. Most people go to festivals to get distribution or get some free publicity to help distribution along.

First of all, let me just start out by saying that I plan on distributing my film, probably something through New Video Group.

The very first thing you need to do is to get hold of the delivery specifications for New Video Group! The specs will give you an idea of where and how you need to spend your budget. Just making your film however you want and then having to spend time and money fixing it so it's acceptable to a distributor is time consuming, costs more money, compromises quality and is working backwards. Far better to spend a little more and get it right to start with!

G

In general all distributors need the same thing - there are very few differences
from distributor to distributor. I found THIS PAGE to be very useful.

From the audio side of things: Yep, that looks like a pretty standard list of deliverables. There are a couple of things to note:

1. With HD and theatrical release, the expectation is for both a 5.1 mix and a 4.0 mix (LtRt).
2. A full compliment of individual stems is required for both HD and SD delivery, plus the ubiquitous M&E mix. This of course requires a clean dialogue stem which has significant cost implications for the recording of the production sound as well as for the dialogue editing, sound editing and mixing.

It's worth noting that the document only lists the audio files and formats required for delivery, it does not list the technical specifications of the actual audio contained in those files! I am presuming there is another document which lists the technical specs of the audio itself. For example, you could deliver all the files and formats to comply with the required delivery items list and still have the film rejected due to incorrect levels, clipping, incomprehensible dialogue, etc, etc. This is where there are often differences between distributors or at the least, between different types of distribution: Theatrical, TV broadcast, DVD or streaming. To complicate matters further, technical audio specifications are currently in a state of flux and will remain so for some time, due to the ATSC A85 CALM act specs and the corresponding EBU R128 specs in Europe. This doesn't currently affect theatrical releases but directly affects TV broadcast and may have a knock on effect for DVD distribution and streaming services.

Of course you could ignore all these audio deliverables and specs but then the distributor would have to pick up the tab to achieve compliance. This isn't unheard of for theatrical releases, although it is in my experience very rare. It would usually cost between many thousands and under certain circumstances up to the several hundred thousand range to fix the sound retrospectively and therefore your film is either going to be a significantly less attractive proposition for a distributor or far more likely, just rejected/ignored!

Whether you go for the extremely high risk approach or whether you plan and budget to comply with audio requirements from the outset should be an informed decision but for most micro/low budget film makers it isn't. This is why more films are rejected (for distribution and festival screenings) due to audio deficiencies than for any other technical reason!

G

ITREF
In general all distributors need the same thing - there are very few differences
from distributor to distributor. I found THIS PAGE to be very useful.
Very nice boilerplate deliverables link, DirectorRik.

What a PITA it'd be for Joe Schmo weekend filmmaker to assemble all of that legit material for a distributor (kudos for getting so lucky) after he thought just filming and editing the [expletive] thing was hassle enough.

YouTube doesn't require all this BS! :lol:

Tie this in with what A.P.E. followed up with + what I've heard about foreign market distributors requiring the dialog, SFX, score, etc audio on separate tracks so that they can be replaced individually at regional discretion and I think this is a whole kettle of fish most small-potatoes fimmakers can't emotionally/mentally deal with.

The rabbit hole goes deep.

Thanks, guys.

I'm enjoying reading these level-up tutes of yours. :yes:

Last edited:
What a PITA it'd be for Joe Schmo weekend filmmaker to assemble all of that legit material for a distributor (kudos for getting so lucky) after he thought just filming and editing the [expletive] thing was hassle enough.
Tie this in with what A.P.E. followed up with + what I've heard about foreign market distributors requiring the dialog, SFX, score, etc audio on separate tracks so that they can be replaced individually at regional discretion and I think this is a whole kettle of fish most small-potatoes fimmakers can't emotionally/mentally deal with.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. You've essentially identified a defining difference between the Joe Schmo weekend filmmaker and the professional filmmaker.

The problems occur when Joe Schmo wants to be a professional. To be a professional Joe Schmo has to change his approach, he can't just approach filmmaking as a weekender, he has to think about making a distributable product from the outset. Every distributor and TV broadcaster I've ever worked with or even heard of (not just foreign market distributors) required a full compliment of individual stems plus an M&E mix, it's completely standard practise.

Occasionally a film made by Joe Schmo will be picked up by a distributor who will then pump in the money to turn it into a distributable product but the realistic chances of this happening are extremely close to 0%. You can dramatically increase your chances of some form of commercial distribution by making a distributable product in the first place!

G

I did it and almost all beginning filmmakers do it.

You make your film and you send it out and a distributor shows interest
so you are very, very excited. Then you get the list of deliverables and
you freak out. You never even THOUGHT of that.

One of my movies sold only overseas and was dubbed. The price would
have dropped considerably had we not done a complete M&E track because
the distributor would have had to pay for an entire, new audio track.

Back