Question

Okay another film school question. Sorry. And please lets not agrue back and forth. Okay so I was looking at New York Film Academy. Im not saying I want to go there I was just looking. But I saw that they offer 4/6/8/10 week workshops for beginners and up. I was wondering if there are any other film schools that offfer something like that. Thanks

You're like asking which is better: A bottle of Snake Oil or Magic Elixir?

I'd say go buy a couple good books on filmmaking and volunteer on someone else's set instead.

...perhaps not the best attitude to have if you're being serious.

There is no quick and easy route to learn any or all of the aspects of film making. Some routes are more effective, sure, and some routes are more expensive, but some of the books that I've read have given me greater insight than entire semesters of classes...then again, some classes have blown my mind as well.

Can I say whether the NYU classes will be worth your while? No, I have no idea. If you were to ask my opinion, though (which you actually sorta did), I'd say skip the classes, and try to instead find a few pro bono PA gigs, and learn as much as you can by watching and asking questions.

Im not trying to be rude. I just asked a simple question. And I would think going to film school would be way better than just reading books. And also about being a PA. Who would I talk to about doing that?

Hell, I say go read books, take workshops, watch seminars, and practice filming.

But of course if that's all too much work...

the best thing a film school will have over books, is learning by doing..

and you can do that yourself after you have read the books, and volunteered to work on a few sets... there are also a ton of video's out there, that teach you the stuff...
try film riot on youtube for a multi year series...

Well I dont wanna go and read books..

Hence the popularity of this forum. Which begs this question: Has any non-reading member of this forum ever gone on to pick up an award for their feature film at a mid-tier festival or better?

My hunch is that not only non-readers fare considerably worse than their reading counterparts in indie filmmaking, but their films are far more likely to end up uncompleted due to (unsurprisingly) unforeseen circumstances.

So i am not sure about New York Film Academy. I read reviews and they were not good. I heard its a scam. I dont want to go to a 2 year film school just yet. I want to go through like a 12 week workshop. Somewhere down those lines. Just to get an understanding of filmmaking. Then maybe later go to 2 year film school.

I don't think it's fair to call it a scam. They teach you skills in a certain industry... and that industry just happens to be extremely competitive, with a dozens of people vying for every job. It's quite possible to spend a lot of bux at the school, and not end up that being that far ahead of the curve in a go-getter environment.

There are a lot of Art Institute of California out here, as well, which have film programmes. Pretty sure it's more of a trade school than college, but maybe that's something worth looking into? Or maybe there's a similar setup in Ohio, for something local to you?

ZenSteve, how about this -- suppose a local "college" was taking $100,000 to train kids to become a professional sports team owner -- this would immediately dismissed as a fraud.

While it is possible one or two grads may become an owner, most grads will end up in non-sports fields. And those that do get into sports top out at ground crew level.

Film schools are a farce. Grunts for the film business is usually all they produce. Some come here and become gear freaks hindering filmmakers from making their films.

If you want to get into the film business, get into it. Don't pay to get into it.

First of all, NYU is worth going to with their School of Film and Television because a good number of their graduates end up working for Hollywood.

NY Film Academy is not nearly as well recognized and does not give you thr the hands on training with major studios that NYU does.

Back