Question about using Adobe Audition.

I just got it and am figuring everything out. It's not too difficult but I've read the manual, and watched online tutorials, and I cannot find how to fix a couple of things. Sometimes the sound will not play, and I don't know what caused it to be silent. I have been having re-open it again just to get sound. It's not my speakers since other things will play. And when it comes to recording sound my field recorder records in stereo only. So I have to delete the empty channel, but have not been able to find how to do it. Every attempt effects both channels. Thanks.

Sometimes the sound will not play, and I don't know what caused it to be silent.
No idea man, sorry, could be many, many different things.

my field recorder records in stereo only. So I have to delete the empty channel, but have not been able to find how to do it.
Does it give you two mono files or one stereo file? Sounds like one stereo file. In audition you don't delete a channel, but "fill" the other channel. It's in there somewhere, probably under stereo filters or channels or something, and you do "fill left" if you want to copy the left channel to the right and "fill right" for visa-versa.

Hope that helps!

Okay thanks. It gives me two channels, one says R on one and one says L on the other. But I can't edit one separately. So I guess I could fill it with room noise. Or do I just fill it with another copy of the dialogue? But I don't want to put in Foley noises till I've already synced the dialogue first to the video.

Way too many variables to give you an answer.

When "opening" a new product I always open it with the included tutorial, as it usually has set-up procedures, and the set-up procedures usually include an intro into the few quirks of the product. Have you tried the "Help" and "Preferences" tabs in Audition? How about Adobe support or Adobe users groups?

When asking product specific questions you have to include all of the pertinent (and sometimes seemingly stupid) details of everything connected to it, which OS and all of the other softwares you are using as there can be software conflicts.

For instance:

Mac Pro 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon (2 gigs Ram)

Belkin 3-Port FireWire-400 PCI Host Card (x2)

Mac OS X v10.4 Snow Leopard
Pro Tools 9.0.5
Digital Performer 7.1
Toast 11 Titanium
Audio Ease Altiverb 6
iZotope RX Pro
SoundSoap Pro 2
Serato Pitch ‘n’ Time Pro
Vocalign Project LE

DIGI-002

Canopus ADVC-110

Oh okay thanks, I tried the help but it didn't really have much of answer for me, in that are specifically, or I maybe I missed it. It could be a software thing. My audio files are wav files, if that makes a difference? If I could find what to do about this empty track then I could finally start on editing and syncing it. I'll keep trying and researching.

Last edited:
From the manual:

Extract audio channels to mono files
If you want to edit or output individual channels of a stereo or surround-sound file, extract them to mono files. Adobe Audition appends the channel name to each extracted filename. For example, a stereo source file named Jazz.aif produces mono files named Jazz_L and Jazz_R.
❖In the Waveform Editor, choose Edit > Extract Channels To Mono Files.
Audition automatically opens each extracted file in the Editor panel.

As an aside, you've been reading manuals, but not finding the answers you're looking for. I've been doing this sort of stuff for years, so research and self-education is sort of second nature to me, but it seems to be something you're having some difficulty with. Might be something to think about, and think about why you have troubles finding info (are you not asking the right questions? not searching documents properly? are you having problems with terminology? not understanding the process well enough to look in the right sections? those are some possible ideas, anyway). Being able to effectively research has saved my bacon thousands of times over, and not a bad skillset to learn!

Last edited:
Back