Question about t2i default lens

I'm looking to buy a new 550D/t2i, and I have a question. I can buy it in a package that comes with the "twin IS lens kit"- which is the 18-55is & 55-250is Lenses. My other option is buying the body buy itself and then buying lens seperately (although the camera will not come with such a good warranty). Are those lenses decent for a new film maker?

Thanks.

If you're on a budget, personally, I really like the 18-55mm kit lens. As a filmmaker, a wide lens is essential.

<3Leo is correct -- it's not a particularly good lens. However, I still recommend it as a starter because it's versitile, and you get that all-important wide lens. A good prime wide lens is going to cost considerably more money.

I'm not so sure the 55-250 is such a great idea. I can't imagine very many situations in which you'd want to use a 250mm lens. Maybe if you are making a spy movie, and you need to show the perspective of somebody looking through binoculars, you would want something telefoto, but for "normal", everyday shooting, you'll never approach using that focal length.

The prime lens that most people recommend (and I agree with) to be your 1st or 2nd (depending on if you get the kit lens) purchase is the Canon 50mm prime lens. It's only $100, but it's a decent lens. You might wonder why you would want a 50mm lens, when the kit lens extends to 55mm, and the answer is that it has a much lower f-stop. A lower f-stop is going to allow you to shoot in lower light, and/or acheive a much more shallow depth of field, which are two of the main reasons people are purchasing DSLRs in the first place.

PS -- Don't forget about the Kiss X4. The Japanese version of the camera is the exact same camera, but with an instructional manual in Japanese (you can download the English PDF for free). I got the Kiss X4, with kit lens, for $100 less than the T2i would've cost me.

Agree with Crackers post 100%. I have both of these lenses, but the 55-250mm I intend to use for stills photography only. The only time I can think I might want the 250mm is if I want a really, really, really shallow depth of field. If you try and focus on somebody's eyes at the full 250mm, the tip of their nose will be out of focus. Could be a cool effect if used correctly.

I also have the 50mm prime. It's cheap and cheerful, but it'll get you some great shots.

Most suggest a 24mm, a 50mm , an 85 and 135mm lenses. You can get some deals on say Nikon or Contax, Pentax & the like and get an adapter. I have a 28 - 210 and it is a little soft on focus. The lens is good for effects but not so much for a sharp image.

If you're on a budget, personally, I really like the 18-55mm kit lens. As a filmmaker, a wide lens is essential.

<3Leo is correct -- it's not a particularly good lens. However, I still recommend it as a starter because it's versitile, and you get that all-important wide lens. A good prime wide lens is going to cost considerably more money.

I'm not so sure the 55-250 is such a great idea. I can't imagine very many situations in which you'd want to use a 250mm lens. Maybe if you are making a spy movie, and you need to show the perspective of somebody looking through binoculars, you would want something telefoto, but for "normal", everyday shooting, you'll never approach using that focal length.

The prime lens that most people recommend (and I agree with) to be your 1st or 2nd (depending on if you get the kit lens) purchase is the Canon 50mm prime lens. It's only $100, but it's a decent lens. You might wonder why you would want a 50mm lens, when the kit lens extends to 55mm, and the answer is that it has a much lower f-stop. A lower f-stop is going to allow you to shoot in lower light, and/or acheive a much more shallow depth of field, which are two of the main reasons people are purchasing DSLRs in the first place.

PS -- Don't forget about the Kiss X4. The Japanese version of the camera is the exact same camera, but with an instructional manual in Japanese (you can download the English PDF for free). I got the Kiss X4, with kit lens, for $100 less than the T2i would've cost me.

Wow, thanks for that post it even answered my follow up questions. I'll have a look around and see if I can buy the camera without the 250mm lens. And as for the Kiss X4, I am aware of this and have heard that the only difference is the badge. If I choose to order the camera online with the body only I will certainly keep that in mind, because I have also heard from another person that you can get the Kiss X4 considerably cheaper than the 550D version. In fact, ordering the body only is making alot more sense at the moment, even if it is a grey import. That way I won't be paying for the unneccesary lens and I can get the 50mm prime lens that was reccommended.

Thank you to all who have replied.

I know this is the wrong section for this question, but I know alot of people here use the 550D. Is there a favoured tripod, and audio recorder that people like to recommend to a beginner?

EDIT: Sorry, 1 more question- I noticed that Final Cut Pro is 1000 bucks. Are there any cheaper alternatives?

Thanks again.

Last edited:
EDIT: Sorry, 1 more question- I noticed that Final Cut Pro is 1000 bucks. Are there any cheaper alternatives?

Yes, but they're not as good (obviously) :)

Premiere CS5 will set you back about the same price so you've got to look at the consumer suites like Final Cut Express and Sony Vegas Movie Studio 10 (?) which are cheaper and therefore more limited, but, at least to begin with, should give you everything you need.

The less-expensive (under $100) versions of Vegas, Final Cut, and Premiere will keep you rocking for years. Basic editing is pretty basic, nothing real fancy needed.

Just don't get any of the software that is made for soccer moms. They don't work the same, and are annoying to navigate. Any of the aforementioned brands will do you right.

A fourth one that nobody knows about is also pretty solid -- Edius. They also have an inexpensive version (less than $100); I've used it, and I like it.

And, what the heck, I might as well say it. There is another option that some people have used. I've heard it requires some research, but uhh...

Arggh! Ahoy, matey!

Ok thats good to know. I guess I'll try and download some trials and see how they go.

I figure I'll keep my gear questions in this thread. If you had just purchased the t2i, what would your first sound recording, and lighting purchase be?

Keep the answers flowing. This is textual gold.

Last edited:
Talking about editing. You can get a student version of CS5 production suite (Its called something like that i think) which costs in the UK 250 pounds. Thats about 500 dollars max.

Kit lens tbh is great: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFQ8nG0owPo

I also have the 55-250mm in the kit, but thats unusable for video pretty much.

Primes are the way to go. My 50mm F1.8 is great!!

Hey Phil, I've found some places where I can get the single lens kit so I won't be getting the 55-200mm lens. This will allow me some extra money to another lens, and lights and sound recording. Speaking of which, any suggestions on a sound recorder and lights.

For doing lights on a budget, a DIY kit can go a long way. If you take that route, there are some good instructional websites that google can help you find.

A lot of low-budget DSLR people are using the Zoom H4N, with the Rode NTG2. Our resident audio guy (Alcove Audio) recommends a different recorder, but I can't remember which one (a Tascam, I think). He also recommends a second mic -- one for inside, one for outside.

You can use 20 mics at once, if you've got the resources. But guys like you and me typically use one at a time. Put a mic at the end of a boom (long stick) and plug it into an audio recorder.

final cut pro 10 is coming out soon at a drastically reduced price, $299! Full blown, not a student version.. etc..

An Adobe CS5 production premium student edition can be had for about $450, contrary to myth, you can use the student editions for pro work without license violation. No reason for a private operator to NOT use a student edition. Seriously, enroll in a college class on directing and get the price break.

Back